Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Moving to Malta from Australia

Moving to Malta from Australia

Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:33 am
Just Joined

Traceymaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Malta from Australia

Hello, i was hoping someone could please help me with some questions? I am from the UK and my husband is from New Zealand. We have 2 daughters who hold UK passports.
We are looking to move to Malta for a minimum of 4 months in January. My husband doesn't need a Visa to come into Malta for up to 90 days but who do we register our presence with after the 90 days? The police/garda and does anyone have the address please? My husband will look after our daughters initially while i find work. Cost of rentals look affordable, do they issue you with a tenancy agreement and on a average how much bond do you pay? Do you think i will be able to find hotel works, hospitality work that time of year easily? Which bank would you recommend opening a joint account with? we still have a joint account with Barclay bank, do they have one in Malta? If not which bank would you suggest and what evidence will they need to open it?
To be able to work where do i obtain a tax file number from (what is it referred to in Malta?) and is this a straight forward process/time span? How do i obtain a security number? Being English will i have any problems going to these offices or are they primarily English speaking? Thank you so much for taking the time to read my email and i would really appreciate it if someone could help me?
Tracey
Old Oct 1st 2013, 3:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Moving to Malta from Australia

Hi Tracey, the very first thing you need to do is worry about your husband's visa. Firstly, when you and your husband enter Malta, you will need to be travelling together, and immediately after you arrive you both need to apply for the eResidence document. I am assuming your husband is a New Zealand Citizen and has a valid New Zealand biometric passport issued in the last 10 yrs, and I am also assuming that you will be working/generating income in Malta whilst he stays home with the kiddies (ie he wont be working whilst in malta) When you arrive you need to fill in Form A (http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Informati...orm%20a_A4.pdf) for your residence permit, and Form F for your husband. (http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Informati...20Form%20F.pdf)

The entire process is very easy as your husband is granted the EU freedom of movement right by virtue of being married to you, (A British citizen/EU national) and may work in Malta whilst there if he so desires. When you complete these forms you need to bring them in person with your husband accompanying you (no appointment required) to Department for Citizenship u tal-Expatriates, Evans Building, St Elmo’s Place, Valletta to complete your application. Again this is to be done as soon as possible after arrival in Malta or you will not be able to (to my understanding) apply for a job/work (You require a Maltese eResidence ID card to do this under new legislation)

The FAQ for the eResidence document is here: http://mhas.gov.mt/en/MHAS-Informati...0Questions.pdf

Whew. There we go. Now that eResidence is done the hard part is over. Again, you will need your eResidence card to do everything you mention above, like apply for a job, apply for a bank account, etc etc... so get it ASAP! About renting apartments/flats/houses, not sure, hopefully someone else can help you out on that. What you will learn very quickly about Malta is that us Maltese like to do alot of things "under the table" if you will, to cover our ass in case we do something stupid, and to save us our €€€! So you will need to stand your ground to do things the "normal" way and get protection in place for yourself against fraud. This includes renting flats. Hospitality is a good industry in Malta, as one of the big industries in Malta is tourism, so I don't believe you will have problems applying for a job in that field.

About the bank, no, Barclays has no representatives in Malta. I would recommend going with the Bank of Valletta, (www.bov.com) i have heard good things of them, and 75% of the people i know are with them. They will need your eResidence documents, your British passport and your husbands NZ passport, your marriage certificate, and possibly some documents from your current bank in Aus/UK if you plan to wire transfer some funds into Malta. On taxes, here is the website for the Internal Revenue Department: http://www.ird.gov.mt/services/taxrates.aspx . According to the information I can gather, your tax number is associated with your eResidence number. (Yes - things can be wacky in Malta like that!) I would look up for sure, don't take my word! Being foreign nationals (EU or not) you may have to get a tax number.... Maltese gov't websites are confusing!
My fellow Maltese like to make things complicated for foreigners wishing to live in Malta! We love our culture! LOL

Being English you will be fine! Everyone in Malta (mostly!) speaks English, and definetly the people in the Government offices do! It is the second official language of Malta, Maltese being the first.

I really do hope your move to Malta goes well and that you absolutely love the place! I have about 3 1/2 years til I get to move back home to Malta's sister island, Gozo, and I am counting each day! It truly is a wonderful place! Do visit Gozo if you have a chance.

Let me know if you have any more questions!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Traceymaw is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Malta from Australia

Oh my what a wonderful informative email. thank you so much i really appreciate it. Iit can be so daunting moving to a new country unsure of those policies. Thank goodness for sites like this and people like you I will start collecting the evidence you have stated and when i have some more questions i would love to get in touch again, thank you. Meanwhile hopefully someone can shed some light on tenancy agreements etc. Thank you again
Old Oct 1st 2013, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

No problem! Feels good to know i helped! If you have any more questions just post back here on this thread and i can try and answer them!
Old Oct 1st 2013, 1:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just saw your PM Tracey and replying at the moment!
Old Oct 10th 2013, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

Katy87 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I would like to live to Malta so I can live with my non eu partner who is Chinese and living in china. In in the uk. I found out they don't recognise our civil partnership in malta anyone have advice on what we can do? I can move to china she can't come the uk. We thought ireland but hears bad things abut the people and country.
Old Oct 10th 2013, 7:55 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Katy - its in the works, Malta should be on board soon

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...5#.UlcFkNK-pcY
Old Oct 11th 2013, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks
Old Oct 16th 2013, 3:07 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

update for you katy

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles...5#.Ul6retK-pcY
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

That's good thanks when so you think could move ?
Old Oct 16th 2013, 5:34 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by Katy87
That's good thanks when so you think could move ?
I believe its in its final stages - once the i's & t's are dotted & the EU website updated - then it'll be official for you to apply.

The earlier post I made indicated November timeframe ... its real close now.

Look at the possibility of early 2014. Staring getting things in order, save as much money as you can that can carry you through 3-4 months. Others going the EEA route have said PT jobs at call centre's or admin work. It really doesn't matter much what job as long as you get the 12-15 hours per week in.

Start searching for Malta jobs from the UK, go to some agencies that specialize in Malta ... get prepared - the more you have ready the less hassle later

All the best Katy & keep a watch for the final update on the EU website

last update was August

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...s/index_en.htm

http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens...e/index_en.htm
Old Oct 17th 2013, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So glad to hear the news! Katy this would mean you follow option 1) in my post on your thread with regards to the permits, or follow what i posted in this thread for traceymaw. Speaking of her, we havent heard back from her since my post ah not2old?
Old Oct 17th 2013, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replays that's really good I thought it would take a year or two.
What is a good place to move to in malta with a child and to get a job?
Eventually we will go nz just need to prove we have lives together for 12 months and save a lot. But my father is from nz so I can apply for citizenship by descent. Thanks.
Old Oct 17th 2013, 10:50 am
Dichotomus tinker

gozitanguygoinghome99xx would tell you Gozo lol, but since the island is so small with a fairly decent bus service you need to be close enough to where the jobs & services are. For jobs close to St Julians or Valletta.

I had suggested post#11 you start with looking for jobs on the web as well as look at agencies in the UK that are offering Malta jobs.

http://www.timesofmalta.com/classifi...t#.Ul_CyNK-pcY

http://britishexpat.com/expatforum/m...pic.php?t=8873

https://www.eures.com.mt/Main/Page.aspx?pageid=JobLinks

After that look at the franksalt estate agents web site for rentals - you should be able to get a decent furnished 2-bedroom for 300-400euro's/mth

Last edited by not2old; Oct 17th 2013 at 11:00 am.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 2:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Haha not2old you're absolutely right of course i would suggest gozo! Lol. But i do agree with you, for the work you need to live in/near valletta, st julians (san gilian) , mosta or mdina. There are good jobs in that area and lots of british (private btw) schools that teach in english if you dont want your kids to have to learn maltese, which unless you're planning to live in malta long term, ie for their entire childhood, dont put them through the agony of learning it if you are gonna move to nz. As it is really hard to learn... Me personally i want to learn it because im Maltese, and have family and friends back home that speak it. But thats different than your case.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.