British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Moving to Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/moving-malta-917426/)

KayD Sep 18th 2018 1:12 pm

Moving to Malta

I appreciate that you probably get asked these questions a million times but I could really use some help from people that have moved to Malta.

I have a young boy and so I am concerned about school and health care mainly.

Do we wait until we move to try an arrange schooling? We are so far looking at Mellieha Primary. Are schools generally over subscribed? I ask as I would rather not choose an area for accommodation and then find out that he can’t go to school there. I have emailed the school but did not get a reply.

Doctors- how does the GP system work? Do you call and make an appointment or are there walk in centres?
Do you have to pay? We have an EHIC but no idea what will happen with Brexit. Is it worth purchasing a health insurance policy or is there no need?

Will we need our birth certificates for anything or are passports ok?

Is there anything else that you feel we MUST do or ensure that we sort before we come?

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any useful links too.

Red_Wine_Fairy Sep 18th 2018 6:31 pm

Re: Moving to Malta

I can't answer much as I don't live in Malta, but generally for European countries:
  • EHICs are only for tourists. If you are resident, you need to join the health care system that the locals pay into,
  • You don't mention the age of your son. If (non fee paying) schools there teach in Maltese, the younger the better. Generally after 9 or so, your child will be too old to pick up the language sufficiently for any SATS equivalent, earlier than this and it's unlikely to be a significant issue or disadvantage as most if not all EU countries hold their exams in one language only. 10 or older and it's better to enrol them in an English/private school, and this costs money,
  • You don't mention your job. You don't move countries without that kind of security if you are bringing a child along - you're going to face enough issues with no support network (assuming you don't have family there). It is, quite frankly, imperative to arrange this before you worry about schooling, housing or anything else that requires a living wage.

KayD Sep 19th 2018 6:33 am

Thank you - :-) we have EHIC just wondering if this is enough. I think once we register we will get healthcare although not sure of the process. Hoping it all becomes apparent once there.

We do have jobs and this is the reason for move.

Ive read Mellieha Primary will teach in English and he is already trying to learn some basic Maltese, although only from an app.

Thanks again.

Thairetired2016 Sep 19th 2018 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by KayD (Post 12564942)
Thank you - :-) we have EHIC just wondering if this is enough. I think once we register we will get healthcare although not sure of the process. Hoping it all becomes apparent once there.

We do have jobs and this is the reason for move.

Ive read Mellieha Primary will teach in English and he is already trying to learn some basic Maltese, although only from an app.

Thanks again.

Read carefully on NHS website what is covered by EHIC before you need to use it. It is for tourists and it covers emergency treatment only. Website points out to buy travel insurance in addition.

KayD Sep 19th 2018 7:56 pm

Thank you!
I think that it is definitely wise to take out a policy until we can register in malta.

angie_329 Sep 30th 2018 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by KayD (Post 12564610)
I appreciate that you probably get asked these questions a million times but I could really use some help from people that have moved to Malta.

I have a young boy and so I am concerned about school and health care mainly.

Do we wait until we move to try an arrange schooling? We are so far looking at Mellieha Primary. Are schools generally over subscribed? I ask as I would rather not choose an area for accommodation and then find out that he can’t go to school there. I have emailed the school but did not get a reply.

Doctors- how does the GP system work? Do you call and make an appointment or are there walk in centres?
Do you have to pay? We have an EHIC but no idea what will happen with Brexit. Is it worth purchasing a health insurance policy or is there no need?

Will we need our birth certificates for anything or are passports ok?

Is there anything else that you feel we MUST do or ensure that we sort before we come?

Thanks in advance, would appreciate any useful links too.

Malta and UK have a reciprocal health agreement that pre dates the EU .. You just need to show your passport and you will get free healthcare., There is usually a local clinic but if you are in a hurry private doctors charge little and are often available in Pharmacies. The health care is very good, and the main hospital well equiped. However some medecines are chargeable.

English is also an official language in Malta , as well as Maltese of course. Malta is also a Commonwealth country.

Schooling... Mellieha has lots of expats...schools have only just re opened last week so you may need to phone up. In Malta its best to do things face to face

Try the British Residents Assocation ( britishresidentsinmalta.org).. they have a local branch in Mellieha. They may be able to give you some info.. Rents are high in Malta and rental properties not easy to find.

KayD Sep 30th 2018 1:50 pm

Thanks Angie

AdSun Dec 26th 2018 7:49 am

Lots of information here, thanks.

I am in Malta with no EHIC. I am going to apply for residence card as self-sufficient.
Do I need to obtain EHIC?
What other docs I need?