Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

moving to malta

moving to malta

Old Jul 11th 2012, 12:12 pm
Just Joined

roscoe24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to malta

we are pensioners and are not particulary wealthy,can anyone give us advice on where to look for a 2 bedroomed house with a rent of around £250 per month.we know very little about the cost of living in malta and any advice would be greatly appreciated.We dont require sea views and all that just a peaceful place without the stress of town life.best regards jenny and john.
Old Jul 11th 2012, 4:54 pm
Just Joined

Sipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant futureSipsoo Dragon has a brilliant future
Default Re: moving to malta

Hi,

Just got back from Malta last month, spent a week out there doing some background work before we move.

I was told a nice relatively place to live is Marsascala just south east of Valleta.

Cost of living is slightly cheaper than the UK but the standard of living is much higher.

I would suggest making the move around late Feb early Mar so you can acclimatise while the weather changes from a nice and warm to hot.

I have a list of estate agents and other links if you would like them.

Hope this helps.

Ken
Old Jul 11th 2012, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jenny and John, welcome to the forun, your budget should be ample to find you the property you want on most of Malta, there are plenty of nice places, take your time and choose right, Gozo is slightly less expensive than Malta and much quieter, lots of Brits retire there as it is a bit of an Eden. Good luck with your choice.
Old Jul 12th 2012, 2:39 pm
Just Joined

ken, thank you so much for your reply,we do think gozo is the place we want to look at as that is where our friends are moving to next year.
As you may have guessed we know nothing about malta and would love to get more information on villages on gozo,but where from?We are not looking for any type of employment just somewhere peaceful,maybe of the beaten track a bit as we do drive.Any info would be great. best regards,john and jenny
Old Jul 12th 2012, 4:25 pm
Just Joined

to maltaman thank you for your reply do you know any reputable estate agents on gozo who would help me find a suitable location for us. john and jenny
Old Jul 12th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

maltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to beholdmaltaman is a splendid one to behold

Google frank salt malta, they are the main agents for Malta/Gozo, that site will give you a good idea of availlability but there are plenty others.
Old Jul 15th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

JJ, you wll find you will have a far better standard of living for your pensions as compared to the u.k., with your income you will have no problem applying to reside as ordinary residents, good luck with your home hunting hope you find what your looing for.
Old Aug 10th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ukkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to allUkkram is a name known to all

Originally Posted by roscoe24
we are pensioners and are not particulary wealthy,can anyone give us advice on where to look for a 2 bedroomed house with a rent of around £250 per month.we know very little about the cost of living in malta and any advice would be greatly appreciated.We dont require sea views and all that just a peaceful place without the stress of town life.best regards jenny and john.
I am in the same boat as you. Please let me know as to your outcome. We are also retired and can only afford the same.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Love Malta and will be stopping by in a few weeks enroute from Germany to Africa.

Would really like to hear experiences from folk who have decided on Malta during retirement. I have a couple of years at most to go and go for an early retirement myself. Malta is certainly high on the list.

Has anyone experienced the health system there. What are the costs to be privately insured?
Everywhere has downsides of some sort. What in your opinion are Malta's?
Old Nov 7th 2012, 12:59 am
Just Joined

joatmon is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: moving to malta

to maltaman thank you for your reply do you know any reputable estate agents on gozo who would help me find a suitable location for us. john and jenny
I bought my property through Cassar & Cooper - and I use their services to collect my mail when I am away and pay certain bills and handle anything in Maltese - I would highly recommend them to you.
Old Nov 7th 2012, 9:02 am
Just Joined

Manuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura aboutManuia has a spectacular aura about

Try this; it's a friend's. His name's Joe and he's very helpful :
http://www.rent-a-house-gozo.com/
and good luck,

Sabine (you can mention my name)
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

malta duo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Jenny& John we are also pensioners who are thinking of do the same as you,we will be looking to move to gozo from uk.we will be having a couple weeks out there this month hopefully we can establish what available for renting looking forward to our trip. Mis lovely area so well worth a look,short stroll to the sea lots to view. our best goe's with you.
Old Nov 13th 2012, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

malta duo is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Everyone
As we are new to the forum, need your help,moving to Gozo soon but unsure about getting our car there, along with normal household goods,
last quote was extortionate let us know if you have some idea's.
can anybody advise us where Gozo expats have there meetings and when,
would love to attend
Old Aug 20th 2013, 1:45 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

bringing this thread alive again

Real estate - rentals & buying, although rental is likely better & cheaper. Link below is not an endorsement, it just gives you the general idea

http://www.franksalt.com.mt/

If you are considering Malta as a permanent stay year round - suggest that you visit first (maybe several visits) - March or towards end of October early November is good when you can get all inclusive hotel/apartment rentals for around 500 euro/mth

an example - again not an endorsement, there are many many more doing a web search

http://www.falconcourtmalta.com/special-offers/

Summers are blazing hot, winters cold & damp

From the UK government website

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...cards-in-malta

Last edited by not2old; Aug 20th 2013 at 2:16 pm. Reason: added info