Malta for those on benefits

Malta for those on benefits

Old May 22nd 2015, 10:27 am
Just Joined

movingsomeplace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Malta for those on benefits

Hi there
I wrote this post elsewhere
http://britishexpats.com/forum/europe-55/considering-moving-uk-eu-advice-858648/#post11653279
Can i get some maltese ex pat advice?
Thanks
MS
Old May 22nd 2015, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Malta for those on benefits

From your previous thread, I can't stress the importance of your wife getting British citizenship. I don't think you've thought of the implications of what would happen if you moved away from Britain, and then wanted to come back. Her ILR would be void, and its not that simple. You have to make GBP18,000 per annum for 6 months prior to moving back, or GBP62,500 in savings then its limited visas until 5 years of moving back to the UK, at which point then she can have ILR back. Doesn't seem like you are in the financial situation to be able to move back to the UK under the new spousal rules. So if you moved somewhere and wanted to go back to England, you would be stranded.

Instead of spending the 1000 pounds on moving abroad, spend it on getting your wife naturalised. Once she's a British citizen if you decide to move abroad and then want to come back, she has right of abode. If you leave the UK for a certain period of time, her current status in the UK is gone, and she can't get it back without you making 18500 pounds per annum or having 62,500 pounds in savings.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but IMO it is a really bad decision to leave the UK without your spouse being naturalised. There have been a few cases on here where the person has regrets moving abroad with their foreign spouse, and under the new rules they are ineligible to bring them back to the UK.

Sorry, but hope this helps!
Old May 22nd 2015, 8:37 pm
Just Joined

movingsomeplace is an unknown quantity at this point

It does indeed help.
Gathering of this kind of info is what I need to help us make the decision.
I don't see how people can actually be stranded but it's a crazy concept just like country boundaries in the first place, but hey!?
Thank you and hope you area happy wherever you are!
MS
Old May 29th 2015, 3:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingsomeplace
It does indeed help.
Gathering of this kind of info is what I need to help us make the decision.
I don't see how people can actually be stranded but it's a crazy concept just like country boundaries in the first place, but hey!?
Thank you and hope you area happy wherever you are!
MS

Yep it does seem strange but it does indeed happen and has happened to people on the forums before. Besides, UK is part of the EU and an EU passport is always a good asset.
Old May 31st 2015, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

mah88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Adding to this, are Maltese citizens entitled to health benefits that other Europeans aren't?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 12:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mah88
Adding to this, are Maltese citizens entitled to health benefits that other Europeans aren't?
Yes. As a Maltese citizen I get free health cover etc in Malta and an EHIC to use in other EU member states. The former I get regardless of whether or not I live in Malta full time, the latter is only applicable whilst resident in Malta. Other EU members do not get automatic cover in Malta, they either have to be eligible (depending on the type of residence they hold) or if self sufficient/unemployed they have to have health insurance or I believe an EHIC from their home country would be acceptable, as it is in the UK.

The exception to the above are British citizens. The UK has a reciprocal agreement with Malta that gives UK and Maltese citizens equal access to each other's health systems in either country, so you will have full coverage in Malta if you hold a British passport. Likewise, Maltese that need to go to the UK for emergency treatment for things we cannot treat in Malta are covered.

Last edited by Gozit; Jun 1st 2015 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 1st 2015, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gozit
Yes. As a Maltese citizen I get free health cover etc in Malta and an EHIC to use in other EU member states. The former I get regardless of whether or not I live in Malta full time, the latter is only applicable whilst resident in Malta. Other EU members do not get automatic cover in Malta, they either have to be eligible (depending on the type of residence they hold) or if self sufficient/unemployed they have to have health insurance or I believe an EHIC from their home country would be acceptable, as it is in the UK.

The exception to the above are British citizens. The UK has a reciprocal agreement with Malta that gives UK and Maltese citizens equal access to each other's health systems in either country, so you will have full coverage in Malta if you hold a British passport. Likewise, Maltese that need to go to the UK for emergency treatment for things we cannot treat in Malta are covered.
Thanks for the information!

But I meant are Maltese citizens entitled to paid health benefits (for illness/disabilities, etc.) whereas other EU citizens may not be?
Old Jun 1st 2015, 7:27 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mah88
Thanks for the information!

But I meant are Maltese citizens entitled to paid health benefits (for illness/disabilities, etc.) whereas other EU citizens may not be?
Since you are a Brit and/or a dual Maltese/Brit moving to Malta, in order to qualify for social assistance or related benefits you normally need to either have paid in work based contributions or unable to work.

Check the response to the other post you made as follows

http://britishexpats.com/forum/malta.../#post11662711

Last edited by not2old; Jun 1st 2015 at 8:36 pm.
Old Jun 2nd 2015, 11:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by not2old
Since you are a Brit and/or a dual Maltese/Brit moving to Malta, in order to qualify for social assistance or related benefits you normally need to either have paid in work based contributions or unable to work.

Check the response to the other post you made as follows

Thanks
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:23 pm
Just Joined

Chrisfisher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I am partially sighted and want to make the move from UK to Malta. Currently I qualify for DLA for the rest of my life, who can I speak to in Malta about this?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 9:36 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chrisfisher
Hi, I am partially sighted and want to make the move from UK to Malta. Currently I qualify for DLA for the rest of my life, who can I speak to in Malta about this?

see the posts and links in the following thread - specific post 2, 7 & 10

It will give you Malta contacts also

Old Feb 18th 2016, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

To add to what not2old has said, you need also to speak to the relevant people in the UK. Please check the following link:

https://www.gov.uk/exportability-team

You don't say if you have visited Malta, but please be aware that being partially sighted may prove challenging. For example, the pavements (where they exist) are usually very narrow and full of trip hazards. Even those with full sight have to take great care to avoid falling.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Chrisfisher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, yes I was there a few weeks ago with my girlfriend... That's when I decided I want to move. I'll be fine after a few months, I just need a little help starting off.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:02 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Malta contact details for what you need

Contact Us

in the following link, read the first page then at approx page 9 & page 10.

If necessary, print this out for when you get to Malta or if you are contacting them

https://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/about...mets/mt_uk.pdf

under the heading

PART V
BENEFIT PROVISIONS
SECTION 1
PROVISIONS FOR SICKNESS, INVALIDITY AND UNEMPLOYMENT
ARTICLE 12
SICKNESS BENEFIT
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:05 pm
Dichotomus tinker

to add to the previous post, from the UK side leaving the UK to go to an EU country

https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

https://www.gov.uk/disability-benefits-helpline

3rd party info

Payment of DLA, AA and carer's allowance abroad

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/pa...lowance-abroad

http://www.dls.org.uk/Pages/Advice/F...its_abroad.txt

Last edited by not2old; Feb 18th 2016 at 4:11 pm. Reason: links added