Default Re: Job in Malta

Originally Posted by not2old
sure there are places in Gozo €250-300/month

even on minimum wage, then again how many live on minimum wage

http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Search/P....aspx?id=31198
I am sure there are ... I only said they won't be very nice
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

the island has gone to the dogs IMO since joining the EU. Now almost every Tom, Dick & Harry can simply move to Malta & live - best though if they;re retired or have a job lined up.

Its not as I remember back in the 70's

When was the last time you were in Malta?
For some reason I never saw these replies here ! Never got emails or anything ... Eh anyway last I was there not2old was this past July 2013...

Well about joining the EU i have mixed feelings... I love the fact that I am an EU citizen and I can move anywhere in the EU, as no matter how much I want to go home to Malta, it really isn't feasible with the job market there, so I figure with EU citizenship I can compromise and go to Germany, or maybe even the UK! Its still alot closer to Malta than Canada is, and alot milder than Canada is... (I was thinking Bristol in the UK...)

BUT on the other hand, the EU membership has brought alot of issues with the illegal migrants, the EU won't let us send them back to Libya, but they won't take them out of Malta either... We don't have room in Malta for them. Plus now with Muscat selling Maltese nationality he is attracting alot of attention to Malta (unwanted and bad!)

Then again on the plus side, EU regulations have meant slow but steady improvement in Malta's infrastructure... No it is not like it was in the 70s but thats a good thing! Malta is much better today than it was 40 years ago
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LivedInaFewCountries
Having lived in Malta for about 3 years myself I would have to say that at those rent prices you won't be getting a very nice place. The wages in Malta are ridiculously low and electricity/water bills are huge.

I do fully agree with you on the way people drive in Malta, crazy, overtaking in blind corners, inventing a 3rd lane ...
Very true, as I said above, I would like so much to go home, but realistically unless I want to be living on maximum €20,000 a year (which I dont) I cant.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by slammer
10.50 €'s for a beer and a bag of crisps in the pub, you really tend to suck them glasses dry.
I live in Basel and one of the fun things to do here is to watch the faces of football fans from out of the country when they cough up 150 € for an eight man round of drinks, you should have seen it when (Ahem!) Basel annihilated Chelsea (again, *snicker*) Shell shocked but very sober Chelsea fans huddled round a shared can of lager, longing for it to be late enough for the bus to take them to the airport.
Ahh! Such memories.
LOL
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sure there are places in Gozo €250-300/month

even on minimum wage, then again how many live on minimum wage

http://www.franksalt.com.mt/Search/P....aspx?id=31198
I agree they are not top-notch, but you still have necessities and a bed to sleep in... Just need to add in an A/C and high-speed internet and i'm good! LOL

And how many people live on minimum wage? A majority of the population unfortunately... As Livedinafew said above, and I agreed, the wages in Malta are terrible, compared to the cost of living. I was just comparing the cost of living of Malta to Canada, and Malta comes out cheaper by miles and miles... Case in point: Car insurance for a sports car in Malta for someone with a clean record and no claims, €300 per annum. (through Middlesea) In Canada, over $1500 at least, and thats super cheap on Canadian standards.