Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

How easy is it to open a small business in Malta?

How easy is it to open a small business in Malta?

Old Aug 29th 2016, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

jayjep is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How easy is it to open a small business in Malta?

Hi guys, after some advice here. I've been looking around online and have found some helpful links on this subject but I'm wondering if anyone on here has actually been through the process of opening a small business in Malta themselves and can share any advice or suggestions.

A bit of background: my partner and I have been looking to open a small business for sometime. We've researched a few locations in Southern Europe (we love the climate and cultures) and Malta is one of the 'final two' we're pondering. At the moment, the business is just an idea. I say 'just an idea' but it is something my partner has previously done successfully (albeit in Australia) and wants to do again. (Who wouldn't want to be their own boss?) A bit of extra info: my partner is 30 and I'm 28 (we're a same-sex couple, too, in case that makes any difference; I know some places aren't thrilled by that, though I hear Malta is fine). I see a lot of threads about retirees in Malta but surely 1) there's something for the young'uns and 2) business/investment opportunities for the young? (I realise the southern Eurozone isn't exactly in a boom time right now but it is beginning its arduous recovery.)

So, down to some specifics: how easy or difficult is it to open a small business in Malta? Is there much assistance as in the UK? For clarification, the business would be a bakery-cum-cafe. As previously mentioned, it's not an existing business and we probably wouldn't have enough capital to buy an existing business in Malta. (Obviously, this is a vastly simplified question, given there's a lot of details to consider; I just didn't want to leave an essay. Those familiar with this process - if anyone here is - will be familiar with the smaller details I've left out, some of which are open (such as location).)

Any help and advice will be much appreciated; more so if it's from someone with experience. I asked elsewhere in the forum nearly a month ago as I didn't want to spam with multiple similar threads, but I don't think it's had one view..! :/ I'm happy to answer any more questions if it helps clarify any advice (I know I've left a lot of holes in the details...)

Thanks for any help. Hope you're all having great days!
JJ
Old Sep 3rd 2016, 10:10 am
Just Joined

zorander7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How easy is it to open a small business in Malta?

look here

ExpatBriefing.com | Expats Owning and Operating a Business in Malta

hope this helps
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:07 pm
Just Joined

jayjep is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zorander7
Thanks for a pointer. Have you done this process yourself?
Old Sep 9th 2016, 7:01 am
Just Joined

zorander7 is an unknown quantity at this point

no i havent

im going to live in malta in 3 yrs time when i get my pension