British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Health Insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/health-insurance-929188/)

Rob2015 Nov 11th 2019 4:50 pm

Health Insurance

Hi.

I am planning on becoming a Maltese resident and, as part of the process, require health insurance. Could anyone please recommend inexpensive options available to me?

Thank you,

Rob.

angie_329 Nov 12th 2019 8:01 am

Re: Health Insurance

Originally Posted by Rob2015 (Post 12762252)
Hi.

I am planning on becoming a Maltese resident and, as part of the process, require health insurance. Could anyone please recommend inexpensive options available to me?

Thank you,

Rob.

If you are British you can get a provisional entitlement certificate to present with your Resdient card application instead of insurance. They never tell you this.
UK Malta has a reciprocal health agreement that pre date the EU health care arrangements. .Go to St Lukes Hospital in Guardamangia with your passport. After your resident card is issued you can then update this provisional to a longer one lasting 3 years. WIth your resident card application make copies of all orgiinal documents you take with you inclduing the certificate.

Also are you working or a pensioner? Malta health care is generally based on social security contributions (or pensions) and the main hospital recently is asking for peoples ( EU or other) last months payslip. However you can present an entitlement certificate, also if you are 'self sufficient' and neither working or pensioner.. If you are a pensioner you should move your health care under the UK S1 form to Malta for long term medical cover. Any pension income can be taxed in Malta under the dual tax agreement, though you can still keep yoru UK state pension up to the Uk personal allowance under the agreement. You will sill then benefit from the Malta tax free allowance for single/ married person for other income you bring into Malta.

Insurers availalbe. should you wnat one are local: Middlesea/ Atlas both quite good or BUpa AXA more expensive.
Local doctors are availalble in pharmacies quite cheaply if you dont want long delays at government health centres.
Private hospital is the St James group whcih also has 24 hour emefgency walk in, again low cost in general. ( Sliema)

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/e...t-MaltaUK.aspx

Rob2015 Jan 3rd 2020 4:36 pm

Hi, Angie.

Thanks for your reply. I first went to Bupa Malta, but have actually just obtained a Provisional Entitlement Certificate that I am glad to hear you confirm I can use. I am self sufficient, so just need to get a few other papers sorted and I can apply for residency.

Thanks for your helpful and detailed reply!

Best,

Rob.

angie_329 Jan 4th 2020 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Rob2015 (Post 12784808)
Hi, Angie.

Thanks for your reply. I first went to Bupa Malta, but have actually just obtained a Provisional Entitlement Certificate that I am glad to hear you confirm I can use. I am self sufficient, so just need to get a few other papers sorted and I can apply for residency.

Thanks for your helpful and detailed reply!

Best,

Rob.

Glad to hear you got that. Ensure you keep a scan.

For self sufficienccy you need to show, either savings of approx 14000 euros, this can be a statement from any bank, even in sterling. or proof you have an income of at least 90 euros per week. Check these figures as they may be higher now.
You also need to register for tax once you have got your Resident card, and file a tax return annually by june of the prior tax year which runs jan to december, even if you dont have enough earnings to be taxed. The tax free allowance is around 8500 /9000 euros for a single person. .
Be aware that a new law requires you to pay tax in malta even on income arising outside malta if its 30K or more and even if not remitted to Malta. Before this law you only paid tax on income arising in malta or brought into malta ( excepting capital or sale of property proceeds remitted to malta which iare tax free).

There is a double taxation agreement with the UK, so any tax paid in UK can be written off against tax due in Malta.
You may need an accountant to show you the ropes first.