Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Family move to Malta - please help re paperwork

Family move to Malta - please help re paperwork

Old Apr 6th 2014, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

W100RDY is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Family move to Malta - please help re paperwork

Firstly, if you have bothered to read this and are willing to reply with help, many thanks. I have read all posts and replies on this site and many more on similar to gather as much knowledge as possible but still have quite a few outstanding questions about our planed move. What ever You can offer we are greatful.
Mtself, my partner and our little 1 year old girl are planning a move feb 2015 (this a good time for many reasons at home but also because it will still be mild in Malta so we can take time to acclimatize). We are unsure as yet if this will be a perminant / semi perminant move but want to give it 12 months minimum to try and make it work. Our little one will just be 2 then so we possibly have 12-18 months before any type of school desision needs to be made and by then will hopefully know what our more perminant future could look like. As you may have guessed we are not yet at the retirement age so work (at least for me) will be needed but not before a few months rest and settling in period. We own our home back in the UK which we are going to rent out and also have a second property that collectively should net us 1000 euro a month income. I think this coupled with some savings should hopefully keep us going. We have a weeks reccie planed for June this year in which we will scout out future areas to live in. I understand my best chances to gain work will mean not too far from the main areas so Gozo for now maybe off limits.
Well they you go folks that's our plans, specifically though here are (some) of my outstanding queries
1. Am I right in thinking the 90 day tourist visa means I can not be employed?
2. If so what type of perminant residency do I/we need to enable me to be employable?
3. Would we need health insurance or does our e111 card entitle us to treatment while there?
4. If we drive over would we incure a large tax bill on entry with our car?
5. On budget except house rental what other monthly bills are there to take into account? Council tax?, car insurance?, etc etc
Once again thank you so much for anything you can offer, If any of you good folk currently living in Malta are free during our june trip, we would love to meet up as keen to make new friends, of course a lunch or dinner would be our treat.
Many many thanks in advance
Old Apr 8th 2014, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

bearclaire1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Family move to Malta - please help re paperwork

Hi,

We are thinking about moving in 2015 too, and going out in 2 weeks to have a reccie.

Here are some info on residence and visas
https://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/...-to-Malta.aspx

http://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/R...oreigners.aspx

I believe my comments below to be correct, but if anyone knows otherwise please correct me.

If you have owned your car for more the 2 years you can bring it over with no taxes, however this is limited to 1 vehicle. You will also need to get it checked and tested when you arrive, and register it. There are plenty of info on the Malta's Government site.
I had a quote from a car shipper and they quoted about £700, plus there would be some other fees to clear customs.

The E111 card would only cover you for reciprocal care if you are employed in the UK (paying UK tax) and visiting Malta.
If you intend on working in Malta you would need to pay NI to be covered under their state health system. Or you would need private health. Both works very similar to the UK.

Any assets (eg. Savings)you bring into Malta are tax free, but any money remitted (Earnings outside of Malta) into Malta is taxed at 15%

Good luck with the planning.
Claire
Old Apr 8th 2014, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

W100RDY is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info bearclaire1. I have read up the 2 links (and many more) but still niggles in the back of my mind etc. guess our reccie will hopefully clear up some of these. Would love to hear back from you after you have been over. Would you fill us in with any further nuggets of info you find out and I will do likewise after we have been
Thanks
Old Apr 9th 2014, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W100RDY
1. Am I right in thinking the 90 day tourist visa means I can not be employed?
No. As a citizen of the European Union (assuming you are a UK citizen with a full UK passport with the words "European Union" on the cover, or other EU citizen) you will be able to work immediately upon entry into Malta, provided you apply for the eResidence card once you arrive, which I believe bearclaire1 provided the links for...
2. If so what type of perminant residency do I/we need to enable me to be employable?
As said above you need the eResidence card, that's it... As an EU citizen you will almost guaranteed get it no problem as you have freedom of movement in Malta. (unless you have a huge criminal record)
3. Would we need health insurance or does our e111 card entitle us to treatment while there?
Bearclaire1 provided a better answer than I could say... As a Maltese citizen myself I have free healthcare there so I never worry about it...
4. If we drive over would we incure a large tax bill on entry with our car?

If you've owned the car for more than two years than you're OK, no tax. But if you later decide to sell it in Malta you will have to pay it...
5. On budget except house rental what other monthly bills are there to take into account? Council tax?, car insurance?, etc etc
Once again thank you so much for anything you can offer, If any of you good folk currently living in Malta are free during our june trip, we would love to meet up as keen to make new friends, of course a lunch or dinner would be our treat.

Car insurance is relatively cheap, depends on the car though and how much No Claims Discount you have... In Malta it is calculated per year. https://middlesea.com/ is a good insurer down there and offers online quotes. Just put in a bogus Maltese plate like DBX300 with your car's details and it'll give you a ballpark quote. But to give you an idea, someone with 5yrs no claims and a 2008 Kia Picanto is about €200 / year for full Comprehensive insurance... Good deal ah?

Council tax not too sure but I think there is one and it isn't that much. Tax is also not that bad in Malta... Budget-wise you are OK. Mobile phones (I recommend Vodafone - www.vodafone.com.mt) and internet (I recommend Melita. GO is too expensive. www.melita.com) are really cheap, and for TV just get one of those satellite guys that hook you up for €10 a month and you can watch all the shows from the UK and such. (although it isn't entirely legal )
Many many thanks in advance
Hey there - I answered your questions in the quote in bold! Congrats on your planned move, hope it goes well. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask! And i'd love to meet you for lunch/dinner, but i'm not living down there at the moment-but I plan to in a few years time... Good luck and welcome to BE!