Reload this Page >

SS route through Malta question

SS route through Malta question

Old Jun 30th 2016, 3:23 pm
Just Joined

MattP73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SS route through Malta question

Hi
Im in the process of planning and research for taking the SS route through Malta. Can I ask, if you can prove Self Sufficiency and i have read the post quoted below by not2old, will this speed up the process for getting a Residents card rather than dependant on finding employment first? I also read somewhere that if you register as self employed you can apply sooner even if no clients and still look for regular employment:

"Ordinary Residence

Any EU National may submit an application for an Ordinary Residence Permit
provided specific conditions are satisfied. This permit is issued on an indefinite basis.

Financial Qualifications

http://iip.gov.mt/wp-content/uploads...U-National.pdf

Applicants must produce documentary evidence of their self - sufficiency which would allow a high standard of living.The whole amount declared is not required to be brought into the country

For self sufficiency, its satisfy either capital or income requirement - you must have health cover under either, not necessarily insurance - the amounts are capital of at least €14,000 or a weekly income of €84.95 or, in the case of a married couple, a capital of €23,300 or a weekly income of €93.10
"

Another question, I have an apartment I own here in the UK and wondering that will count against me when claiming COL test in Malta. If I rented this out it would generate income whilst away which would be a great help. Are there any pitfalls with my thinking so far? I was thinking claiming self sufficiency due to renting out my property back home and using this as an excuse to relocation to Malta as want to live in the sun.
I am self employed here in the UK as a window cleaner and have a nice round. Obviously i cant stop cleaning windows for 6+ months otherwise I will have nothing to come back to. I can however possibly get friends to cover but for the shortest amount of time possible. Is there anyway to shorten the SS Route? more like 3-4 months rather than 6+.

Your help and suggestions would be greatly welcomed
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 7:12 am
Just Joined

Default Re: SS route through Malta question

Anyone?
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MattP73
Hi
Im in the process of planning and research for taking the SS route through Malta. Can I ask, if you can prove Self Sufficiency and i have read the post quoted below by not2old, will this speed up the process for getting a Residents card rather than dependant on finding employment first? I also read somewhere that if you register as self employed you can apply sooner even if no clients and still look for regular employment:

"Ordinary Residence

Any EU National may submit an application for an Ordinary Residence Permit
provided specific conditions are satisfied. This permit is issued on an indefinite basis.

Financial Qualifications

http://iip.gov.mt/wp-content/uploads...U-National.pdf

Applicants must produce documentary evidence of their self - sufficiency which would allow a high standard of living.The whole amount declared is not required to be brought into the country

For self sufficiency, its satisfy either capital or income requirement - you must have health cover under either, not necessarily insurance - the amounts are capital of at least €14,000 or a weekly income of €84.95 or, in the case of a married couple, a capital of €23,300 or a weekly income of €93.10
"

Another question, I have an apartment I own here in the UK and wondering that will count against me when claiming COL test in Malta. If I rented this out it would generate income whilst away which would be a great help. Are there any pitfalls with my thinking so far? I was thinking claiming self sufficiency due to renting out my property back home and using this as an excuse to relocation to Malta as want to live in the sun.
I am self employed here in the UK as a window cleaner and have a nice round. Obviously i cant stop cleaning windows for 6+ months otherwise I will have nothing to come back to. I can however possibly get friends to cover but for the shortest amount of time possible. Is there anyway to shorten the SS Route? more like 3-4 months rather than 6+.

Your help and suggestions would be greatly welcomed
There is no problem getting a self sufficiency if you can show savings or income in a bank statement. it can be a uk one.( watch the exchange rate).

re uk rental, you have to do a tax return in the uk for uk property rental, any tax there, can be offset against any tax due in malta. you need to register for tax in malta, and the single allowance is 8500 before the first tax band. It will not count against you on the self sufficiency basis or work basis. Not sure what you mean by COL.
its best to get an accountant to do this, many of them also apply for the residency card. you will need your certificate of entitlement for health care which comes under the uk malta reciprocal agreement. sometimes the residency dept want to see a rental contract as the address you will be living at. technically you are supposed to spend six months per annum in malta to be considered resident although they do not seem to bother about it much.

re the SS route, as far as I understand you have to demonstrate the centre of your life is in the EU country, so trying to do it faster may not work and also the time spent in UK/Malta may need to be considered . I am not an expert on that, see the thread on that topic.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 9:16 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angie_329
There is no problem getting a self sufficiency if you can show savings or income in a bank statement. it can be a uk one.( watch the exchange rate).

re uk rental, you have to do a tax return in the uk for uk property rental, any tax there, can be offset against any tax due in malta. you need to register for tax in malta, and the single allowance is 8500 before the first tax band. It will not count against you on the self sufficiency basis or work basis. Not sure what you mean by COL.
its best to get an accountant to do this, many of them also apply for the residency card. you will need your certificate of entitlement for health care which comes under the uk malta reciprocal agreement. sometimes the residency dept want to see a rental contract as the address you will be living at. technically you are supposed to spend six months per annum in malta to be considered resident although they do not seem to bother about it much.

re the SS route, as far as I understand you have to demonstrate the centre of your life is in the EU country, so trying to do it faster may not work and also the time spent in UK/Malta may need to be considered . I am not an expert on that, see the thread on that topic.
COL.. Centre of Life.. Owning an apartement that isn't rented out MAY impinge on any claim you have moved your COL to Malta, however I suspect that the SS route for immigration may well be one of the first things to disappear under leaving the EU, we know the government isn't happy with SS.
Old Jul 2nd 2016, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
COL.. Centre of Life.. Owning an apartement that isn't rented out MAY impinge on any claim you have moved your COL to Malta, however I suspect that the SS route for immigration may well be one of the first things to disappear under leaving the EU, we know the government isn't happy with SS.

Should have guessed! I don't think not renting out a place is not necessarily lack of proof since there may be mortgage restrictions on renting out anyway. it's more what you do/have in Malta I would say on balance.

Yes I think the route may be closed off but who knows...
Old Jul 25th 2016, 12:59 pm
Just Joined

Zarah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm new here my hubby and I are currently in Malta doing SS route we applied for our residence cards a month ago and I still haven't heard any reply , please can someone who already received their cards tell me how much time it takes to get it? I want to go back home soon ☹️� ����
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Zarah
Hi I'm new here my hubby and I are currently in Malta doing SS route we applied for our residence cards a month ago and I still haven't heard any reply , please can someone who already received their cards tell me how much time it takes to get it? I want to go back home soon ☹️� ����
Hi Zarah
I cant help with the duration of the RC but im hoping you are not go8ng to try and get entry 8nto UK with just that, 8 heard its best to apply for the family permit in malta and then return with it. Pepole have gone home with RC and then been refused and had to go back to where they were living prior.
Old Nov 6th 2016, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

MrsFavoured16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I'm a British national seeking to use the SS route for my non EEA husband to join me in the UK. Our situation is a little complicated as he is Ghanaian but has been on a resident visa in China for the past 8 years due to studies ( PHD in structural engineering). We have spent our almost first year of marriage juggling around where to live and now I'm just extremely desperate to have him here in the UK with me. So ...

1) My 1st question is, which country would be best when using this route?

2) Do we need to go into the country together or do I need to go ahead of him?
3) How long do we need to reside there?

I am desperate for any helpful suggestions. Thank you
Old Nov 7th 2016, 6:41 am
Just Joined

You can enter the country together if married or you can arrive ahead of him but he will need proof that he is married to an EU citizen so must take marriage certificate with him.
You can go to any European country to do this but obviously language is a factor. Malta seems a popular choice and people say that the authorities there are processing paperwork faster the say southern Ireland.
Id advise joining the group on facebook called 'an undivided family in Malta' loads of great info and helpful people many who are already doing it there.
Hope this helps. Good luck 😊
Old Nov 12th 2016, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

jimbob66 is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need to be married to do the SS route but it is easier. You need to show an enduring relationship for at least 2 years as partners.
The COL rules change from November 25th when the UK finally adopts the EU Directive from the O and B v Netherlands case of 2014. That allows Treaty Rights to be satisfied by self-sufficiency in the third party country. However, as with much of EU law, the UK picks and chooses what it will follow and in what way. So, now there will be a greater scrutiny of COL and whether it has moved sufficiently or whether the move was to circumvent UK immigration law. Nobody knows what this will mean until applications for entry back to the UK occur after November 25. Some other parts of the changes don't apply until February 2017.
Prior to this, it was usually enough to move, work for a few months ( as little as 3 or 4), have a rental agreement, open a bank account, register for GP etc, join a library, keep records of social activities etc etc. In other words show that you were doing the same in the new country as you were in the UK. That will be looked at more closely and the most obvious way will be to expect a longer stay in the new country, the days of 3 months are probably over even though that Netherlands case says otherwise.
Old Nov 17th 2016, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

MrsFavoured16 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you jimbob66 all the information you have supplied is so helpful