British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Couple hoping to move to Malta, advice gratefully received! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/couple-hoping-move-malta-advice-gratefully-received-943298/)

thebluebellsareblue Mar 24th 2022 12:33 pm

Couple hoping to move to Malta, advice gratefully received!

My husband and I are hoping to move to Malta this year. I am 35 and he is 40, we are looking at selling everything and moving over to live and work there. We will have a small nest egg to go over but will be looking to start working as soon as possible, hopefully secure work before we go. I am an accountant and my partner is a welder, we both are english speaking but hoping to learn maltese as well. Will it be difficult for us to find work? Also will it be difficult to secure accomodation? We really want this to be a long term move and to make a life in Malta/Gozo so any information would be gratefully received. Thank you

Moses2013 Mar 24th 2022 1:36 pm

Re: Couple hoping to move to Malta, advice gratefully received!

Originally Posted by thebluebellsareblue (Post 13103378)
My husband and I are hoping to move to Malta this year. I am 35 and he is 40, we are looking at selling everything and moving over to live and work there. We will have a small nest egg to go over but will be looking to start working as soon as possible, hopefully secure work before we go. I am an accountant and my partner is a welder, we both are english speaking but hoping to learn maltese as well. Will it be difficult for us to find work? Also will it be difficult to secure accomodation? We really want this to be a long term move and to make a life in Malta/Gozo so any information would be gratefully received. Thank you

My parents used to go on holiday there and have friends who were originally from Malta, but even back then they said the quality of life is deteriorating
Gozo might be less developed, but also has fewer job opportunities and salaries are very low if you compare with property prices and overcrowding will get worse there too. If you're happy with a small apartment and little outside space, you can still rent something for €700 furnished. In reality most people don't last long and I've said it many times before that Rock fever is not a myth and over the years I've known many people who got job offers (mainly gambling) and left after 2-3 years. I've lived in the Channel islands myself for a while and seen the same. Apart from that Brexit has made it harder and you will need to check that you qualify for a Visa https://www.gov.uk/guidance/living-i...rking-in-malta

Because of overcrowding islanders are not always that welcoming these days, especially when it comes to housing and jobs. I would seriously consider other countries if I were you, but each to their own and best of luck.

Listen Very Carefully Mar 25th 2022 9:56 am

The first thing you need to do is to apply for a Working Visa to allow you to move to Malta and work You should note that EU law does not allow the employment of non EU citizens unless the company concerned cannot find anyone qualified to do from the EU so you just cannot turn up and look for work You will have to look at starting your own business and have a business plan The second is learn Maltese

SanDiegogirl Mar 25th 2022 8:15 pm

I am an accountant and my partner is a welder, we both are english speaking but hoping to learn maltese as well. Will it be difficult for us to find work?

Without speaking Maltese you are restricting yourself hugely - especially in the field of accounting.

..... and, as said, you need a visa

Moses2013 Mar 26th 2022 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 13103748)
Without speaking Maltese you are restricting yourself hugely - especially in the field of accounting.

..... and, as said, you need a visa

Then again an accountant can work from anywhere, especially within the EU. The welder will be the bigger challenge.

angie_329 Mar 28th 2022 8:15 am

Unless you have a job offer from a company in Malta you will not be able to settle but only spend 90 days in 180 in Malta.EU.
The only other route to settlement now, post brexit. is on one of the high earner programmes where you pay 15 k tax per annum or a passport programme ( over 500k) ( this is info from an accountant in malta who makes applications for residency) There are some major accounting companies here like KPMG , so if you can get a job with one of them or in the UK and get transferred to Malta that would work. However you will probably not be able to get permanent settlement after the job ends.

The other jobs that malta brings people in for from 'third ' countries - as is the UK now,, is for care work. You have to be accepted by a care agency and bound to them for work with annual permit renewal.

So unfortunately I would advise you not to sell up in UK even if you can get a job offer./ sponsorship.. There is also the gaming industry and call centres for English speakers and translators, financial services ( compliance) etc.

SanDiegogirl Apr 4th 2022 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13103950)
Then again an accountant can work from anywhere, especially within the EU. The welder will be the bigger challenge.

Sure there are accountants throughout the EU - however, if you don't speak the language of the country then you are restricting yourself to those English speaking companies who only deal with English speaking clients.

Gozit Apr 12th 2022 2:07 pm

I'm Maltese, a couple points:

1. Contrary to the above, not knowing Maltese will not really hinder you. It is a plus and will help you integrate into our society and make friends, but it is by no means a dealbreaker especially in the fields you and your husband are in.
2. Deteriorating quality of life...Moses2013 puts a bit of a dim perspective on it but he is largely correct. Cost of living is going up, wages are going up too but not enough. If you are used to especially a US/Canada lifestyle it will be a hard adjustment.

I would recommend working a higher salary remote job for either a UK or EU company if possible

J00ls Mar 16th 2023 10:37 pm

I'd love to offer you encouragement as Malta was a lovely place to live once and still special to visit. However to live and work there as a foreigner you would have needed to move at least 10 years ago before Brexit and before it became so overcrowded. I don't see the language issue as a big deal - English is one of the official languages. However property prices are insane and the roads are permanently jammed. Having said that, if you really want to try it and can secure a job with one of the larger Accountancy firms then you could always give it a try for a few years - why not! Just be prepared for big rental costs.

Rosemary Mar 16th 2023 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by J00ls (Post 13180217)
I'd love to offer you encouragement as Malta was a lovely place to live once and still special to visit. However to live and work there as a foreigner you would have needed to move at least 10 years ago before Brexit and before it became so overcrowded. I don't see the language issue as a big deal - English is one of the official languages. However property prices are insane and the roads are permanently jammed. Having said that, if you really want to try it and can secure a job with one of the larger Accountancy firms then you could always give it a try for a few years - why not! Just be prepared for big rental costs.

OP has not returned since April 2022 so I doubt whether they will see your contribution.

Rosemary

J00ls Mar 17th 2023 4:47 am

They presumably heeded the earlier advice!

J00ls Mar 17th 2023 9:35 am

Isn't it extraordinary how many people think its perfectly ok to ask a question here - then never pay the rest of us the courtesy of replying - or even returning to the thread!