British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Cost of moving to Malta from UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/cost-moving-malta-uk-878244/)

louven May 31st 2016 6:56 pm

Cost of moving to Malta from UK

Hi, I'm moving to Malta from UK in few months time and was wonder how much I need to allocate, roughly for shipping costs 2 bedroom house without furniture. I tried to get few quotes but they want specific information which at the moment I can't provide. Is anyone recently shipped their belongings? Are we talking here in thousands of £??? Any info much appreciated.

Bingo1 Oct 9th 2016 3:26 pm

Re: Cost of moving to Malta from UK

Hi
My family of 2 and I moved in May. We too moved from a 2 bed rented house. Shipping our stuff was the most expensive part of the process and we paid £4K even though original quote was £3k. This was due to amount of space taken up. Whenever you move, strip everything back. If you are going to rent then 90% of places are furnished or in part. Don't bring cooker, wardrobes, fridge/freezer. Scaling back will save you a fortune. Spend the money by finding the right place first time.

angie_329 Oct 11th 2016 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by louven (Post 11961009)
Hi, I'm moving to Malta from UK in few months time and was wonder how much I need to allocate, roughly for shipping costs 2 bedroom house without furniture. I tried to get few quotes but they want specific information which at the moment I can't provide. Is anyone recently shipped their belongings? Are we talking here in thousands of £??? Any info much appreciated.

get a quote for 20 ft container from gattshipping.com - they ship from uk a lot - you may need export packing done for fragile items. That adds to cost

you can look up cubic feet online and example of what can fit in it to see if you need one that size.

or for less stuff just personal belongings- via 'shiplowcost.com ' via expresstrailers luqa, ( expressgroup.com).. they leave from off the m25 near essex- weekly service also ships cars. again they need to know volume so cubic feet or cubic metres of goods to be shipped. if you ship a car you can pack your stuff into it too. cars around 900/1000 euros.

Pulaski Oct 11th 2016 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by angie_329 (Post 12074006)
get a quote for 20 ft container from gattshipping.com - ....

We shipped the contents of a two bedroom house INCLUDING furniture and didn't fill a 20ft container. We have quite a lot of books, records, and CDs, not to mention clothes, tools, and china and glassware, so really it depends on what the OP is planning to ship if they are not shipping furnture.

A few boxes of clothes, china, and glass might cost only £500, a 20ft container likely £4,000-£5,000, with packing. .... Honestly, how long is a piece of string? :unsure:

Cynic Oct 13th 2016 4:05 pm

Reminds me of an old colleague who moved to Malta from Germany in the early 90's; he went the ISO container route - half of it was filled with a humongous satellite dish, so he could get Sky TV in Malta. :)

Gozit Oct 15th 2016 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by Cynic (Post 12075894)
Reminds me of an old colleague who moved to Malta from Germany in the early 90's; he went the ISO container route - half of it was filled with a humongous satellite dish, so he could get Sky TV in Malta. :)

:eek:

You can get it there anyways without bringing the satellite from Germany :lol:

teejaydee Nov 9th 2016 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by WellG (Post 12100448)
...Malta is getting better.

Please tell us more. How about providing a few examples?

Gozit Nov 9th 2016 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by teejaydee (Post 12100454)
Please tell us more. How about providing a few examples?

+1... Tell me how the economy's improved so I can stop worrying about it .... oh wait. :lol:;)