British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Citizenship eligibility (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/citizenship-eligibility-874049/)

tomcm Mar 9th 2016 3:27 pm

Citizenship eligibility

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if i was eligible for Maltese citizenship. My grandmother was born in Malta, and so was the mother before her. My mother was born in Australia, as was i. Am i eligible?

Thanks.

AlexEss Mar 10th 2016 9:13 am

Re: Citizenship eligibility

Here you go:

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/mhas-in...p/cea2-reg.pdf

Cheers,

Alex

not2old Mar 10th 2016 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by tomcm (Post 11890701)
Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if i was eligible for Maltese citizenship. My grandmother was born in Malta, and so was the mother before her. My mother was born in Australia, as was i. Am i eligible?

Thanks.

Basically, your mother (if she is still alive) needs to get her Maltese citizenship before you can apply for yours.

https://www.gov.mt/en/Services-And-I...gistration.pdf

You will need to get all kinds of birth, marriage & death certificates for your mother & her side of the family

Since you're in Australia, suggest that you contact the Maltese consulate general closest to you to request the application forms

Foreign embassies and consulates in Australia - Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

To get you started, see if you can fill in the following info as well as provide the proof

http://homeaffairs.gov.mt/en/mhas-in...ship/cea27.pdf

BritInParis Mar 10th 2016 9:27 pm

Where's Gozit when you need him?

SanDiegogirl Mar 10th 2016 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11892076)

Probably in school ...... he's only 17 !

Gozit Mar 30th 2016 3:58 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 11892076)

Oh lord ... Should have paged me ;)

I have gone through this exact process. I born in Canada, nanna and nannu born in Malta... Now my mum and I hold dual citizenship Canada and Malta and we are waiting on the application via marriage for my dad and the additional applications for my siblings to become citizens as well.

You are eligible for citizenship... Here i'm going to copy paste a big post I made on reddit about it. Hope it helps and ask if you have any questions...

Timeline went like this.
Dec 2012 - initial enquiry to the consulate yielded the following information -always go via paternal lineage IF AVAILABLE. In my case my mum is the Maltese one so i went through MY maternal side, but since both nanna and nannu were born in Malta once i got past my mums branch on the tree, it went up my nannu's branch, not my nanna's, since nannu is the paternal figure. Just leftovers from legacy policies i guess.
-Mum needs to apply as first gen born abroad. This was easy peasy, and free of charge. Fill in a few forms, photocopies of her birth certificate, marriage certificate, my nannus birth certificate, nanna and nannus marriage certificate, (you will need your nannus death certificate if he has passed on, i am lucky enough mine is still kickin' :) ) and buznannu (nannus father)'s birth, marriage, and death certificates. All photocopies. We submitted this in Jan 2013.
May 2013 received mum's citizenship papers. Right then time to deal with mine as a second gen.
My citizenship as a second gen was a little more complicated, and cost Can$170. This required an application in person to the consulate rather than by mail as with first gen. More of the same deal, forms and such, and provided my birth certificate as well as all the other documents previously submitted, as well as some information about my father, birth certificate and stuff. If you are a minor as I am you will require both parents to attend at the consulate with you and sign consent stuff. If you are an adult you just go on your own. You also need two (2) Maltese specification passport-type photos of yourself which you will have to get taken at a photo shop or whatever. We applied for this in Aug 2013. I got my citizenship papers May 2014. Weve since applied for all my siblings citizenship, and then my dads citizenship by marriage, and now everyones a citizen :)
Then we went for the passport. For the passport there is one little quirk. The Maltese government requires one copy of your birth and marriage certificate (if you are married) when you apply for your Maltese passport for the first time, and these will NOT be returned to you. They will be kept on file at the public registry in Malta. So you will have to order from the state or province registrar where you were born and married and get an extra official copy of your birth and marriage certificates. You only need to provide these once, you will not need new copies every time you renew your Maltese passport. When you go to apply, you apply with those documents and your Maltese citizenship papers (which will be returned to you) and fill in the application form. You are required to apply for your passport in person, as your photo and fingerprints will be recorded at the consulate/embassy. No need to bring in photos. You are also required to pick up the passport in person.

Cheers :)

Gozit Mar 30th 2016 4:02 am

Also, if you email the Maltese public registry they can provide copies of all birth/marriage/deaths that occurred in Malta. For Maltese certificates copies from the public registry will suffice, for foreign (non-Maltese) certificates you require the original or a certified copy from the government body itself.

not2old Mar 31st 2016 1:46 pm

just want to add for the OP again, that he/she will not be able to apply if the line is broken. In other words if the OP's mother (born in OZ) is still alive & is not a Maltese citizen, then the OP's mother must get it first, then the OP applies

If the OP mother is deceased, then the OP can apply providing they have all the paperwork, birth, death & marriage certificates going back as far as the OP grandparents.

Gozit Mar 31st 2016 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11910092)
just want to add for the OP again, that he/she will not be able to apply if the line is broken. In other words if the OP's mother (born in OZ) is still alive & is not a Maltese citizen, then the OP's mother must get it first, then the OP applies

If the OP mother is deceased, then the OP can apply providing they have all the paperwork, birth, death & marriage certificates going back as far as the OP grandparents.

To clarify on this, it isn't that you *can't* apply, you just have to ascertain that all of your ascendants are in possession of Maltese nationality before you can get it. So in my case I couldn't get it until my mum applied and got hers. If one of the ascendants is dead as not2old says you can ascertain their Maltese nationality by providing all relevant death, birth, and marriage certificates.

KatieL Jun 26th 2016 6:34 am

I hope someone can help me (I have tried to read the guidance but still confused)
Would my husband be eligible for Citizenship? He is a UK citizen but was born in Malta in 1958 and has an attested birth certificate?
Thanks in advance for any help

BritInParis Jun 26th 2016 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by KatieL (Post 11984965)
I hope someone can help me (I have tried to read the guidance but still confused)
Would my husband be eligible for Citizenship? He is a UK citizen but was born in Malta in 1958 and has an attested birth certificate?
Thanks in advance for any help

Before Maltese independence on 21 September 1964 all Maltese were Citizens of the United Kingdom and Colonies, the same status as Britons. On independence those CUKCs who were born in Malta and had a Maltese-born parent automatically acquired Maltese citizenship. If your husband was born in Malta in 1958 to two British-born parents then he would not have become Maltese in 1964. If he was born in Malta to a British father and Maltese mother then he would become a Maltese citizen in 1964.

KatieL Jun 29th 2016 5:30 am

Thanks for the reply. We thought that might be the case

Zarah Jul 25th 2016 1:03 pm

Hi I'm new here my hubby and I are currently in Malta doing SS route we applied for our residence cards a month ago and I still haven't heard any reply , please can someone who already received their cards tell me how much time it takes to get it? I want to go back home soon ☹️� ����

Gozit Jul 25th 2016 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by Zarah (Post 12011548)
Hi I'm new here my hubby and I are currently in Malta doing SS route we applied for our residence cards a month ago and I still haven't heard any reply , please can someone who already received their cards tell me how much time it takes to get it? I want to go back home soon ☹️� ����

The Maltese gov't is behind on new ID card issuance and residence cards for foreigners... My ID card took about a month and i'm a Maltese citizen. They revamped the whole system a couple years ago and its created a backlog. Try sending them an email, when I did that I received the ID the following Monday :o

Rest assured though your card will be issued retroactively to when you applied. Ie I applied for my ID card on the 5th or 6th of July, it was issued on the 7th of July but I didn't get it until August.

Amanda_C Mar 28th 2017 12:50 pm

Hi I hope someone can help!
I was born in Malta in 1974, at the British Naval Hospital, to British parents (neither of whom had diplomatic immunity, they were civilian teachers). I cant work out from the info Ive found online whether or not I am eligible for Maltese citizenship or not. My birth certificate is British, will I also have a Maltese one that I can apply for?
]If anyone can help Id be most grateful
Thanks