Car Scrappage

Old Apr 23rd 2021, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Scrappage

I'm thinking of scrapping one of my two cars. Has anyone scrapped a car here in Malta? I don't know how it works or what it costs - of if (ever hopeful) the buyer would pay me.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 5:52 am
Forum Regular

Adam777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Scrappage

HI.

Yes I've scrapped a car. You need to :
  • Cancel the insurance (if there is any) and let them know you are scrapping the car. There may be a refund due to you from the insurance.
  • Go to the Transport Malta office in Paola and process the paperwork to remove the car from the registry (or whatever it is they do) there is a small fee to pay (I cant recall how much)
    • If the car has a current yearly registration then you can apply for a refund of the unused portion
  • Then you can scrap the car - there is a yard close to the airport.
    • They didnt pay me for my car nor did I ask them do, I do not know if that is an option.

Thats the process I went through. Although I do not remember if I cancelled the insurance as the first or second step.

Call Transport Malta and ask them, they were very helpful when I did this.
Old Apr 29th 2021, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

J00ls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Scrappage

Hi, thanks very much for the helpful reply - very useful information . Its surprisingly difficult to find out about. We are still tossing up whether to go down this route or to sell but at least it gives us options.