Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Malta
Reload this Page >

Calling Ex-pats living in Malta

Calling Ex-pats living in Malta

Old Oct 11th 2014, 2:15 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calling Ex-pats living in Malta

Specifically, those of you that have moved to Malta from wherever. Have been there at least 5 years, you moved have moved with family, possibly work or have retired to it part -time or live most the year in Malta.

If you could kindly share any of the drawbacks, any bad or any sad side of Malta, including what you found unexpected
Old Oct 18th 2014, 11:49 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calling Ex-pats living in Malta

its been a week & not one post. Does this indicate that there are no drawbacks to life as an expat retiree in Malta?

Malta seems to be the closest thing to living life one day at a time with little stress & the best of all worlds. There are other places besides Malta - those are on the bucket list for us also.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

teejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond reputeteejaydee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
its been a week & not one post. Does this indicate that there are no drawbacks to life as an expat retiree in Malta?
Reading the comments on the bottom of the article you posted about earlier, it would seem there are drawbacks to life as an expat in Malta.

Is Malta the best place on earth to retire? - timesofmalta.com

The problem though is we don't know the people commenting, what their circumstances are or what their expectations are. As always, spending some time in the place oneself is the only way to judge its pros and cons.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:18 pm
Dichotomus tinker

Originally Posted by teejaydee
Reading the comments on the bottom of the article you posted about earlier, it would seem there are drawbacks to life as an expat in Malta.

The problem though is we don't know the people commenting, what their circumstances are or what their expectations are. As always, spending some time in the place oneself is the only way to judge its pros and cons.
Repeat what I've always said - 'its all personal choice' & a survey is just that - a survey, sort of an insight.

Agree with you that 'its a must go see for oneself, for the smell, touch & feel' for anywhere worth considering to emigrate to or retire to.

Pro's & cons for everything in life - people, places & things.

I would not emigrate to (or retire to) anywhere 'cold turkey' knowing what I know today, without first doing a recce & not as a tourist.

I would pick at least four places, go see, spend not less than 30 days in each one, maybe two visits at different times of the year if necessary. Yes, I know it can be costly - but what the heck, its better than a full move that could turn out to be a disaster

Last edited by not2old; Oct 19th 2014 at 9:14 pm.
Old Oct 22nd 2014, 1:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
Repeat what I've always said - 'its all personal choice' & a survey is just that - a survey, sort of an insight.

Agree with you that 'its a must go see for oneself, for the smell, touch & feel' for anywhere worth considering to emigrate to or retire to.

Pro's & cons for everything in life - people, places & things.

I would not emigrate to (or retire to) anywhere 'cold turkey' knowing what I know today, without first doing a recce & not as a tourist.

I would pick at least four places, go see, spend not less than 30 days in each one, maybe two visits at different times of the year if necessary. Yes, I know it can be costly - but what the heck, its better than a full move that could turn out to be a disaster
I agree with this. And the lack of replies is because this forum is the tumbleweed forum. The few on BE who are in Malta don't post in here and then theres the newbies who come on, ask 1 question then don't come back