British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Black british family moving to Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/black-british-family-moving-malta-915057/)

Kgeorge Jul 18th 2018 12:22 pm

Black british family moving to Malta

Hi my husband has recently received his Maltese citizenship as his mother is Maltese, he is mixed raced as his dad is african and I am a black woman. We have 3 young children and we are British citizens.
We are looking into migrating to Malta as we are in need of a different way of life, also my husband has a condition that requires private medical and we cannot afford it in the UK, he has always wanted to live there and we both love the island.
I have been doing a lot of investigations into this and have come across some very worrying comments on racism, and the various difficulties that expats face while living on he island.
We are not a rich family so we will both need to work to support our selves, i guess my questions would be to anyone who is of a similar background to myself and has migrated to malta, how easy is it get into employment, is it more difficult being black will be treated differently. I expect a certain level of disdain as as everything that i have read seems to indicate that this is a given, however I can withstand all that but as I have young children will they encounter issues in nursery/ school etc.
I would really appreciate full and honest opinions from those that has actually been through this process or know of a similar family that has gone through it, we have a small cleaning business in the UK but we are still deciding if its best to sell it off or transfer it to Malta but again if we do this looking at our background will the Maltese employ our services are will we be seen as coming in and taking their customers/business what kind of backlash will we get from this.

Thank you :regular_smile:

global33 Aug 3rd 2018 1:08 pm

Re: Black british family moving to Malta

Hi,

It might be hard to find a place to stay but if you have a British passport, that should not be a problem. However, things are getting better as there are more and more people immigrating from abroad so everyone is mixing with each other. ;->

Originally Posted by Kgeorge (Post 12534832)
Hi my husband has recently received his Maltese citizenship as his mother is Maltese, he is mixed raced as his dad is african and I am a black woman. We have 3 young children and we are British citizens.
We are looking into migrating to Malta as we are in need of a different way of life, also my husband has a condition that requires private medical and we cannot afford it in the UK, he has always wanted to live there and we both love the island.
I have been doing a lot of investigations into this and have come across some very worrying comments on racism, and the various difficulties that expats face while living on he island.
We are not a rich family so we will both need to work to support our selves, i guess my questions would be to anyone who is of a similar background to myself and has migrated to malta, how easy is it get into employment, is it more difficult being black will be treated differently. I expect a certain level of disdain as as everything that i have read seems to indicate that this is a given, however I can withstand all that but as I have young children will they encounter issues in nursery/ school etc.
I would really appreciate full and honest opinions from those that has actually been through this process or know of a similar family that has gone through it, we have a small cleaning business in the UK but we are still deciding if its best to sell it off or transfer it to Malta but again if we do this looking at our background will the Maltese employ our services are will we be seen as coming in and taking their customers/business what kind of backlash will we get from this.

Thank you :regular_smile:

Gozit Aug 19th 2018 9:28 pm

Re: Black british family moving to Malta

As above said with British passports hopefully you will be OK but even better with Maltese ones...your husband can pass his Maltese citizenship onto you by marriage and your children as well. The relevant forms can be filled out and done in Malta once you arrive or from the high commission in London.