British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/)
-   -   Anyone with IBD in Malta? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malta-168/anyone-ibd-malta-859269/)

mah88 May 31st 2015 7:30 pm

Anyone with IBD in Malta?

I have ulcerative colitis and am thinking of moving to Malta in the future. I was just wondering how people in my position manage it in Malta compared to the UK - I.e: access to medication/different treatments, health benefits, good doctors, waiting times, etc. Thanks!

not2old Jun 1st 2015 7:38 pm

Re: Anyone with IBD in Malta?

healthcare only and before you can get free access, unless you have your UK EHIC card, you will need to apply for one the 'Health entitlement card'

http://gov.mt/en/Services-And-Inform...pplication.pdf

As a Brit moving to Malta, I believe that you wouldn't immediately qualify for disability, sickness benefits or social security benefits. These are based on the equivalent of Maltese national insurance contributions as well as being a full Maltese resident

https://health.gov.mt/en/cbhc/Pages/...t-MaltaUK.aspx

http://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/L...-Services.aspx

check the 'benefits and assistance' tab in the following link

Home

sickness benefits tab

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/Short-...-Question.aspx

social assistance tab

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/Social...Questions.aspx

not2old Jun 1st 2015 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 11661851)
I have ulcerative colitis and am thinking of moving to Malta in the future. I was just wondering how people in my position manage it in Malta compared to the UK - I.e: access to medication/different treatments, health benefits, good doctors, waiting times, etc. Thanks!

specific to treatment of your condition in Malta

Malta Association of Crohn's & Ulcerative Colitis - Ask your consultant

suggest that you contact them to ask about treatment, doctors, hospitals etc

Malta Association of Crohn's disease & Ulcerative Colitis - About MACC

mah88 Jun 2nd 2015 11:29 am

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11662711)
healthcare only and before you can get free access, unless you have your UK EHIC card, you will need to apply for one the 'Health entitlement card'

http://gov.mt/en/Services-And-Inform...pplication.pdf

As a Brit moving to Malta, I believe that you wouldn't immediately qualify for disability, sickness benefits or social security benefits. These are based on the equivalent of Maltese national insurance contributions as well as being a full Maltese resident

https://health.gov.mt/en/cbhc/Pages/...t-MaltaUK.aspx

http://www.gov.mt/en/Life%20Events/L...-Services.aspx

check the 'benefits and assistance' tab in the following link

Home

sickness benefits tab

Sickness Benefit - Frequently Asked Question

social assistance tab

Social Assistance Frequently Asked Questions

Cheers. So to clarify, even if I were a Maltese citizen but I hadn't worked in Malta (or been able to), I wouldn't be entitled to sickness benefits with my condition?

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 11663285)
Cheers. So to clarify, even if I were a Maltese citizen but I hadn't worked in Malta (or been able to), I wouldn't be entitled to sickness benefits with my condition?

I suppose that you're thinking to move from the UK to Malta on the basis with a Maltese citizenship.

Then claim benefits on the basis that you are unable to work?

Couple of things.

1. That you have never lived or worked in Malta
2. That you have no work based contributions such as (similar tot he UK) national insurance

My guess is that it may be difficult for you & that if you are currently on disability in the UK those benefits will likely stop moving to Malta & are not transferable to get from Malta when you arrive there.

It would be like someone who can get British citizenship by descent then going to the UK & trying to get DLA, sickness benefit or job seekers allowance. There would be a period of residency in the UK as well as possible national insurance contributions. No different if you were Maltese moving to the UK [zero benefits] other than NHS care

taken from the FAQ 'social assistance' in the link above

1. Who qualifies for Social Assistance (SA)?
Head of household (H/H) who is not fit for employment due to sickness, physical or mental illness; or persons who according to ETC cannot be employed.

Single persons (SA) who are over 18 years of age and live either alone or with someone else (excluding their parents), and cannot engage in gainful occupation or register for employment due to illness.

taken from the FAQ 'sickness benefits' in the link above

Are claims for Sicknesss Benefit always accepted, and if not, can the claimant do anything about that?

No, claims for Sickness Benefit are not accepted automatically. The Director of Social Security, or his/her representative may either accept or reject a claim. In each case, every applicant is informed in writing about the decision taken and the reasons leading to such decision. If a claim is rejected or not accepted in full, the claimant may appeal against the Director’s decision before the Social Security Umpire. The appeal must be lodged in writing within 30 days and they must be presented to the Secretary to the Umpire, 19, Blokk C, Beltissebh, Floriana, FRN 1700.

C. Persons on No Pay:

i) Persons on no pay/salary are entitled to have the whole amount received from the Department of Social Security.

4. For how long is Sickness Benefit paid?

The applicant is entitled to one day Sickness Benefit for each contribution paid unless this does not exceed 156 days in a period of one calendar year. However, if the applicant has undergone a major surgical intervention or suffers from serious injuries/diseases which require long-term medical treatment before returning to work, s/he may, on approval by the Director of Social Security following the recommendation by a medical panel, be entitled to further days unless these do not exceed 468 days in a period of two calendar years.

mah88 Jun 2nd 2015 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11663334)
I suppose that you're thinking to move from the UK to Malta on the basis with a Maltese citizenship.

Then claim benefits on the basis that you are unable to work?

Couple of things.

1. That you have never lived or worked in Malta
2. That you have no work based contributions such as (similar tot he UK) national insurance

My guess is that it may be difficult for you & that if you are currently on disability in the UK those benefits will likely stop moving to Malta & are not transferable to get from Malta when you arrive there.

It would be like someone who can get British citizenship by descent then going to the UK & trying to get DLA, sickness benefit or job seekers allowance. There would be a period of residency in the UK as well as possible national insurance contributions. No different if you were Maltese moving to the UK [zero benefits] other than NHS care

taken from the FAQ 'social assistance' in the link above

1. Who qualifies for Social Assistance (SA)?
Head of household (H/H) who is not fit for employment due to sickness, physical or mental illness; or persons who according to ETC cannot be employed.

Single persons (SA) who are over 18 years of age and live either alone or with someone else (excluding their parents), and cannot engage in gainful occupation or register for employment due to illness.

taken from the FAQ 'sickness benefits' in the link above

Are claims for Sicknesss Benefit always accepted, and if not, can the claimant do anything about that?

No, claims for Sickness Benefit are not accepted automatically. The Director of Social Security, or his/her representative may either accept or reject a claim. In each case, every applicant is informed in writing about the decision taken and the reasons leading to such decision. If a claim is rejected or not accepted in full, the claimant may appeal against the Director’s decision before the Social Security Umpire. The appeal must be lodged in writing within 30 days and they must be presented to the Secretary to the Umpire, 19, Blokk C, Beltissebh, Floriana, FRN 1700.

C. Persons on No Pay:

i) Persons on no pay/salary are entitled to have the whole amount received from the Department of Social Security.

4. For how long is Sickness Benefit paid?

The applicant is entitled to one day Sickness Benefit for each contribution paid unless this does not exceed 156 days in a period of one calendar year. However, if the applicant has undergone a major surgical intervention or suffers from serious injuries/diseases which require long-term medical treatment before returning to work, s/he may, on approval by the Director of Social Security following the recommendation by a medical panel, be entitled to further days unless these do not exceed 468 days in a period of two calendar years.

That's correct about becoming a dual-citizen and having never worked or lived there (thus not having any contributions). However, perhaps I might still be entitled to some benefits (upon approval) as it's a long-term illness as you wrote at the bottom.

Nevertheless, I have just checked and apparently I may be able to claim at least some benefits from UK while living abroad: https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by mah88 (Post 11663356)
That's correct about becoming a dual-citizen and having never worked or lived there (thus not having any contributions). However, perhaps I might still be entitled to some benefits (upon approval) as it's a long-term illness as you wrote at the bottom.

Nevertheless, I have just checked and apparently I may be able to claim at least some benefits from UK while living abroad: https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

from within that link, I would agree with a qualifier of 'maybe or possibly' and of course depending on your situation on how DWP pays you on what basis.

Suggest that you give them a call & ask the question 'I'm going abroad, can I continue to get my benefits - if so, for how long'

good luck with it

https://www.gov.uk/statutory-sick-pay/eligibility

Lower in that link

Exceptions
You won’t qualify if you:

-have received the maximum amount of SSP (28 weeks)
-are getting Statutory Maternity Pay
-You can still qualify if you started your job recently and you haven’t received 8 weeks’ pay yet. Ask your employer to find out more.

Linked periods of sickness

If you have regular periods of sickness, they may count as ‘linked’. To be linked, the periods must:

-qualify for SSP by lasting 4 or more days each
-be 8 weeks or less apart
-You’re no longer eligible for SSP if you have a continuous series of linked periods that lasts more than 3 years.

To add ....

I cannot find any situations of, or folks that have transferred disability or sickness benefits from the UK that would be picked up by living or moving to Malta. But you know what, you just never know.

What you may also call Malta social security people or email them from one of the links above and ask them [what I would do, if I was in your shoes]

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/about-...Questions.aspx

.... 'as a Maltese citizen getting DLA or whatever you're getting in the UK, can you get these same benefits in Malta' - if so, how & what do I have to do?

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 4:33 pm

I just found this .......

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/about-...reements-.aspx

http://socialpolicy.gov.mt/en/about-...mets/mt_uk.pdf

mah88 Jun 2nd 2015 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11663662)

Brilliant find, cheers! So it just may be possible...but as you say, it's probably best I make some enquiries and not leave it to chance. Really appreciate your help with this!:goodpost:

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 7:09 pm

looks like you may qualify

from article 12 'sickness benefit'

(3) Subject to paragraphs (5) and (6) and Article 32, where a person would be entitled
to receive sickness benefit under the legislation of the United Kingdom if he were in
the territory of that Party, he shall be entitled to receive that sickness benefit while he
is in Malta

(a) his condition necessitates immediate treatment during a stay in Malta and, within
six days of commencement of incapacity for work or such longer period as the
competent authority may allow, he submits to the competent authority of the United
Kingdom a claim to benefit and documentary evidence of incapacity for work issued
by the doctor treating him; or

(b) having claimed and become entitled to sickness benefit under the legislation of the
United Kingdom, he is authorised by the competent authority of that Party to return to
Malta where he resides, or to transfer his residence to Malta;

from article 13 'invalidity benefit'

(1) Claims to invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland
or the Isle of Man shall be determined only in accordance with this Article and Article

(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), a person who has satisfied the first contribution
condition for sickness benefit using contributions under the legislation of Great
Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man only, and who is in Malta and not in
receipt of sickness benefit under Article 12 or subject to the legislation of Great
Britain, Northern :Ireland or the Isle of Man under any of Articles 6 to 10, shall be
entitled to receive invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern
Ireland or the Isle of Man provided that:

(a) the person satisfies the second contribution condition for sickness benefit under
the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man using relevant
insurance periods completed under its legislation and, if necessary, under the
legislation of any Party, and

(b) the person is incapacitated for work and has been so incapacitated throughout the
qualifying period for invalidity benefit, in which case the person shall be treated as if sickness benefit followed, where appropriate, by invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, had been paid throughout that qualifying period.

(3) The right to invalidity benefit under paragraph (2) shall be acquired on the day
following the end of the relevant qualifying period or the date of the acquisition of the
right to invalidity benefit under the legislation of Malta,

mah88 Jun 2nd 2015 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by not2old (Post 11663838)
looks like you may qualify

from article 12 'sickness benefit'

(3) Subject to paragraphs (5) and (6) and Article 32, where a person would be entitled
to receive sickness benefit under the legislation of the United Kingdom if he were in
the territory of that Party, he shall be entitled to receive that sickness benefit while he
is in Malta

(a) his condition necessitates immediate treatment during a stay in Malta and, within
six days of commencement of incapacity for work or such longer period as the
competent authority may allow, he submits to the competent authority of the United
Kingdom a claim to benefit and documentary evidence of incapacity for work issued
by the doctor treating him; or

(b) having claimed and become entitled to sickness benefit under the legislation of the
United Kingdom, he is authorised by the competent authority of that Party to return to
Malta where he resides, or to transfer his residence to Malta;

from article 13 'invalidity benefit'

(1) Claims to invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland
or the Isle of Man shall be determined only in accordance with this Article and Article

(2) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4), a person who has satisfied the first contribution
condition for sickness benefit using contributions under the legislation of Great
Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man only, and who is in Malta and not in
receipt of sickness benefit under Article 12 or subject to the legislation of Great
Britain, Northern :Ireland or the Isle of Man under any of Articles 6 to 10, shall be
entitled to receive invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern
Ireland or the Isle of Man provided that:

(a) the person satisfies the second contribution condition for sickness benefit under
the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man using relevant
insurance periods completed under its legislation and, if necessary, under the
legislation of any Party, and

(b) the person is incapacitated for work and has been so incapacitated throughout the
qualifying period for invalidity benefit, in which case the person shall be treated as if sickness benefit followed, where appropriate, by invalidity benefit under the legislation of Great Britain, Northern Ireland or the Isle of Man, had been paid throughout that qualifying period.

(3) The right to invalidity benefit under paragraph (2) shall be acquired on the day
following the end of the relevant qualifying period or the date of the acquisition of the
right to invalidity benefit under the legislation of Malta,

:goodpost: thanks again!

not2old Jun 2nd 2015 11:38 pm

UR welcome & good luck with it all