Reload this Page >

Young Ex-Pat moving to KL

Young Ex-Pat moving to KL

Old Dec 3rd 2009, 6:04 am
Just Joined

robca654 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young Ex-Pat moving to KL

Hi all,

I am moving to KL early next year to start work as an Analyst at an investment bank.
I am 24 and originally from New Zealand where I went to Uni.
I have worked in London, Sydney, Singapore, HK and KL (1 month in Nov). Currently in HK and moving to KL next week to work until Xmas, which I will spend in Australia.

I have a few questions I would love feedback on:

1. Where would you recommend living?
I want to be reasonably close to work (near KLCC) - say < 20min commute in morning - I start around 6:30am and finish around 8:00pm.
Also, hopefully near a gym, somewhere to go running and a supermarket.
Proximity to bars/pubs/restaurants would be great too.

2. How much will rent be per month?
Would aim for average for a single, young professional ex-pat.

3. Will I need to get a car?

4. What bank should I join?
So far CIMB, Public Bank and Maybank look the best.
I want an online account (savings and current), credit card and online sharetrading (preferably for several SE Asian countries) with minimal fees.

5. I am a huge fan of Italian food . . . where can I get Italian groceries?
(I like/eat local stuff too, but can't cope without strong, black coffee and Italian meats and cheeses).

I could have sorted some of the above out when I was in KL last month, but didn't realise I would be working there for at least 2 years until last week.
And I am notoriously poor and organising this side of my life . . .

Moving to KL is quite a big call on my behalf (Sing/HK are much more popular for recents grads in banking). But I would argue that people who follow the crowd often end up in the wrong place. Also I like the team in KL and my boss is a great mentor.

So any thoughts on the above would be great. Plus any other advice/tips would be appreciated.

Also any ex-pats around my age - get in touch!

Cheers,

robca654
Old Dec 9th 2009, 9:24 am
Banned

danjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nicedanjones1 is just really nice
Default Re: Young Ex-Pat moving to KL

The women are hot!
Old Dec 9th 2009, 11:11 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

Malay,Chinese, Indian; some or all?
Old Dec 9th 2009, 2:33 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Young Ex-Pat moving to KL

Originally Posted by robca654
Hi all,

I am moving to KL early next year to start work as an Analyst at an investment bank.
I am 24 and originally from New Zealand where I went to Uni.
I have worked in London, Sydney, Singapore, HK and KL (1 month in Nov). Currently in HK and moving to KL next week to work until Xmas, which I will spend in Australia.

I have a few questions I would love feedback on:

1. Where would you recommend living?
I want to be reasonably close to work (near KLCC) - say < 20min commute in morning - I start around 6:30am and finish around 8:00pm.
Also, hopefully near a gym, somewhere to go running and a supermarket.
Proximity to bars/pubs/restaurants would be great too.

2. How much will rent be per month?
Would aim for average for a single, young professional ex-pat.

3. Will I need to get a car?

4. What bank should I join?
So far CIMB, Public Bank and Maybank look the best.
I want an online account (savings and current), credit card and online sharetrading (preferably for several SE Asian countries) with minimal fees.

5. I am a huge fan of Italian food . . . where can I get Italian groceries?
(I like/eat local stuff too, but can't cope without strong, black coffee and Italian meats and cheeses).

I could have sorted some of the above out when I was in KL last month, but didn't realise I would be working there for at least 2 years until last week.
And I am notoriously poor and organising this side of my life . . .

Moving to KL is quite a big call on my behalf (Sing/HK are much more popular for recents grads in banking). But I would argue that people who follow the crowd often end up in the wrong place. Also I like the team in KL and my boss is a great mentor.

So any thoughts on the above would be great. Plus any other advice/tips would be appreciated.

Also any ex-pats around my age - get in touch!

Cheers,

robca654
I'm in Singapore so I'm afraid I can't help with your questions above......however, I strongly suggest you join MANZA - the 'Malaysian Australian and New Zealand Association' which is a social and sporting association for expats in Malaysia. (I'm a member of ANZA in Singapore):

http://www.manza.org/ (You may get some useful info about being a newbie in KL if you call the office)

Hope this helps!
Old Dec 10th 2009, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

robca654 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by danjones1
The women are hot!
Whereabouts pal? I've seen few . . .

EnglishMum: cheers for heads up on the MANZTA!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 6:25 am
Just Joined

oj48 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi.. Rob is it?

I'm an expat living in KL, working as an investment banker and would be happy to help with the questions you have. I live in the KLCC area as its close to work and would recommend you do the same. I have a gym close at hand and both the Pavilion and KLCC shopping malls are within walking distance too - so bars, cinemas, restaurants are easily accessable.

I could recommend buildings for you to look up but would need to know where in the KLCC area you're working first. Rent depends on the building but generally you're looking at approx RM 3000 upwards for a small studio apartment. Can suggest one or two better deals in the area.

Wouldn't recommend commuting from further away. Its a real hassle and you waste a lot of time (traffic jams) and money (petrol, toll.) I

As far as the car goes, I have two! I love driving (not commuting to and from work) but going away over the weekend, exploring the city and stuff. It gives you so much more freedom and I'm sure you're aware (having been here in KL earlier) that public transport and the LRT (metro) systems are really inefficient and many areas are unreachable.

I would recommend you rent a car, as many expats do and again, I could help you out there as well.

As far as opening an a/c, I would say hands down Maybank. They have the largest network of ATMs, service is not bad and offer current/savings acs, onlinee shar trading (I think its only within Malaysia) and of course credit cards.

Italian groceries.. not sure. But I've seen some things for your shopping cart at Mercato. Its a supermarket at The Pavilion.Also any ex-pats around my age - get in touch!

Anyway, feel free to ask me anything. Also, I prefer to email rather than post so publicly. Dont know why. Send me your email addy or maybe we could message over Facebook.

Cheers!
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Sorry, my email:

[email protected]
Old Dec 22nd 2009, 7:38 am
Just Joined

Hey Rob,

I cant seem to use the Private Message service here. Anyway, just add me on Facebook. Name is Osama Jamshaid. Should be able to find me on the Malaysia network.

We should meet up when you get here!
Old Oct 29th 2010, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Sluppy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there,

im going to move to KL early next year and will be working close to KLCC.
So im looking to share an apartment somewhere close to work, pref. with some other expats.
can any one suggest a forum/website where one could find rooms for rent ?

cheers
Ben