Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home?

Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home?

Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home?

Originally Posted by Davita
There are many Australian retirees living near me in Bali. We use the same sports bar...
I asked about their pension status and they have not said, once qualified, that they cannot receive their pension. I understand there is an issue about 'time qualifying' when out of Australia.
They also tell me if they have any medical issues they simply return to re-gain their health benefits.
I cannot think it would be any different if living in Malaysia...but would like to hear about OZ pension and medical benefits re: UK and Canada,

As it stands one requiring a Aussie pension must be living in Australia two years prior to claiming. One needs to have lived in Australia 35 years from 16 to be able to claim. This was not long ago heavily increased.

If living in a mutual agreement country, only Japan and RoK met that criteria last time I looked in the Asian region but much of Europe (not UK) and I seem to recall North America does have such an agreement then an application can be done in those countries.
This does not apply to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia though. Also the amount paid is less as deemed lower cost living countries.

The latest attack on pensioners and entitlements is those outside the country more than six weeks will find their pension stopped. That would apply to cruisers and people on long breaks......
Old Aug 17th 2017, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

I attended the Perth info MMY2ndH yesterday evening here in Perth. About fifty people in attendance (which amounted to pretty well a full house)

I left slightly early, as the theme was focused a lot on buying property. Something I am in no way interested in doing. (At this time anyway)

I had no idea the same requirements were in place in the amount paid on a property in both Penang and Melaka. I had always thought Penang was by far the most expensive, being the most popular.

Apparently the amount required to be lodged in a bank will rise to 500,000 Malaysian Ringett. (already approved by parliament there)

The requirement of prove of $3,100 (from memory) income a month seems a bit step in comparison with other countries as well.

Australian $700 for private medical insurance plus a month, depending on age, all adds up as well.

At least the presenter was honest in stating "we want your money".

Still we'll be coming over a little later in the year for an on the ground assessment.
Old Aug 17th 2017, 3:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Davita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond reputeDavita has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
As it stands one requiring a Aussie pension must be living in Australia two years prior to claiming. One needs to have lived in Australia 35 years from 16 to be able to claim. This was not long ago heavily increased.

If living in a mutual agreement country, only Japan and RoK met that criteria last time I looked in the Asian region but much of Europe (not UK) and I seem to recall North America does have such an agreement then an application can be done in those countries.
This does not apply to Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Cambodia though. Also the amount paid is less as deemed lower cost living countries.

The latest attack on pensioners and entitlements is those outside the country more than six weeks will find their pension stopped. That would apply to cruisers and people on long breaks......
Are you saying that Australian Old Age Pensioners can only be 'out of country' a max of 6 weeks to still receive a pension?
I decry the UK for not annually indexing my OAP when they do for UK Pensioners and those living in the EU and USA, as we all paid the same into the fund...but to lose it just because of living in another country seems very harsh.
I suspect if UK did that so many millions would return to UK the system would break-down and the hospitals would overflow.
Old Aug 24th 2017, 4:39 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute

Any regrets to those that have taken the plunge on gone for the Malaysian retirement visa?
Nope. Absolutely none at all.

I mean do you feel Malaysia is the place for you to live out the rest of your life?
Yes.

Or perhaps just for a period of time then move back to original homeland or even another country in the western world? Spain or Cyprus or Malta or Portugal or The Sussex Coast or Tasmania even for example?
I've been other places and they are nice, but none have the balance of cost, weather, language, food, culture and people that Penang has.

Are you enjoying life in Malaysia? That means Penang for most folk, I expect.
Yes.

Does after the initial sense of excitement and expectation the reality wear a little thin and other considerations come into focus?
No, but it does change. The initial excitement dulls into a form of happy contentment once you get into a more regular pace.

Would a neighbouring country like Thailand or Indonesia entice interest in moving to? Does Penang not feel a little too closterphobic after time?
I've been to the neighbouring countries and they feel squalid by comparison and the lack/quality of English even in tourist hotspots in Thailand makes me glad to return to Penang. I felt a sense of danger wandering the streets of Koh Samui at night that I've never felt when doing the same at 2AM down Chulia Street or the Upper Penang Road.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 6:30 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in Malaysia for about 6yrs now. 1st I was in KL for about 2yrs then moved to Ipoh as it was much less hectic and has everything I need such as hospitals, shopping, cinemas etc. I did think of Penang but cost of living is higher, especially property.also driving in Penang is getting like KL now. The only thing missing in Ipoh is the ocean.

I did not sign up to the MM2H scheme as I didn't like the idea or having to keep half a million ringgit in the bank. ( it is different for other states in Malaysia) I know this money can be put towards a house but I think the minimum house purchase for a foreigner is between 500k and 1 million depending if it is an apartment or landed property.

I live here as a tourist, so I have 3 months. Just before my 3 months is up I drive up to Thailand, park my bike or car on three Malaysian side, walk across the border, have a massage for an hour and then walk back. I have been doing this for my entire stay in Malaysia and have had no problems at immigration.

Last edited by lacmac; Oct 7th 2017 at 6:37 am.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lacmac
I live here as a tourist, so I have 3 months. Just before my 3 months is up I drive up to Thailand, park my bike or car on three Malaysian side, walk across the border, have a massage for an hour and then walk back. I have been doing this for my entire stay in Malaysia and have had no problems at immigration.
Be careful though, as since this year there is a limit on the number of "land crossings" you are allowed to do per calendar year. Once you have exceeded that limit will the Malaysian immigration not allow you into the country until the next year.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Be careful though, as since this year there is a limit on the number of "land crossings" you are allowed to do per calendar year. Once you have exceeded that limit will the Malaysian immigration not allow you into the country until the next year.
Really ? How many is that ? As I often comes for just a couple of days.
Old Oct 7th 2017, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

lacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond reputelacmac has a reputation beyond repute

I believe with Thailand it's 2 border crossings per year now. Lucky it's only land crossings so it's still fine while flying. Can get a return ticket to Thailand or Singapore for less than rm500.

Good excuse for a few days break.
Old Oct 8th 2017, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it is the Thai immigration which limits annual entries by land.
This has created problems for expats living in Laos or Cambodia who used to pop over to Thailand for shopping and medical.

No limits from the MY immigration, except of course the always prevailing risk of getting caught as a visa runner (I hear from friends that they are tightening up on this, especially at Penang airport)
Old Oct 8th 2017, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Seeing the other responses am I not sure any longer whether the rule is installed by the Malaysian immigration or by the Thai immigration. Since 2017 is the number of land crossings limited. This limitation does not apply if you are travelling by plane.

Visa runs from Thailand to Penang seem popular due to the presence of the Thai consulate on the island.