British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/you-happy-decision-mmm2nd-home-901431/)

the troubadour Aug 10th 2017 5:39 am

Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home?

Any regrets to those that have taken the plunge on gone for the Malaysian retirement visa? I mean do you feel Malaysia is the place for you to live out the rest of your life?

Or perhaps just for a period of time then move back to original homeland or even another country in the western world? Spain or Cyprus or Malta or Portugal or The Sussex Coast or Tasmania even for example?

Are you enjoying life in Malaysia? That means Penang for most folk, I expect.

Does after the initial sense of excitement and expectation the reality wear a little thin and other considerations come into focus?

Would a neighbouring country like Thailand or Indonesia entice interest in moving to? Does Penang not feel a little too closterphobic after time?

SushiFan Aug 10th 2017 8:20 am

Re: Are You Happy With Decision To MMM2nd Home?

Those are a large number of big questions in one post. I think that the answers will be different for each person.

I live in Penang since about 1.5 years and like it here. My daily life is as I imagined before moving here. However, in your view might 1.5 years not yet be long enough to qualify as "having settled". It might be a too short period to make any predictions on the longer term future.

InVinoVeritas Aug 10th 2017 8:52 am

I like it so much after 4 years that I've just signed a purchase agreement for a penthouse. Renting is a better bet financially but rental places are nearly all furnished and I'm fed up living with other people's stuff :thumbdown:

The social scene is great in Penang, I have met so many really nice people and there is a big pond of expats, so it's not hard to find people you genuinely like.

Having said that, I'm not sure I could live here all year round, at the moment (out of necessity) it's 3 or 4 long trips per year but snowbirding could be the best solution.

Are you still thinking of retiring to Penang, Troubador?

bakedbean Aug 10th 2017 9:33 am

Answers in Blue. I have been in Penang just over 7 years now.

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12313513)
Any regrets to those that have taken the plunge on gone for the Malaysian retirement visa? I mean do you feel Malaysia is the place for you to live out the rest of your life?

I think one of the great things about the visa is that you don't have to live here full time or even at all. So there are always options to spend just part of the year here, and part of the year somewhere else, and travelling etc etc. Have found that the majority of MM2Hers that I know do this. And I now spend quite a lot of time travelling elsewhere and use Penang as "home base".

Or perhaps just for a period of time then move back to original homeland or even another country in the western world? Spain or Cyprus or Malta or Portugal or The Sussex Coast or Tasmania even for example?

Yes

Are you enjoying life in Malaysia? That means Penang for most folk, I expect.

I know of worse places to be. I am probably not the best person to ask as being widowed here was not quite what we had planned.

Does after the initial sense of excitement and expectation the reality wear a little thin and other considerations come into focus?
Not really. I think life situations change and then you have to reconsider whether it's still the place for you.

Would a neighbouring country like Thailand or Indonesia entice interest in moving to? Does Penang not feel a little too closterphobic after time?

I don't find it claustrophobic. The heat and humidity gets wearing if you live here all year round

bakedbean Aug 10th 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12313587)
I like it so much after 4 years that I've just signed a purchase agreement for a penthouse.

Show off.

InVinoVeritas Aug 10th 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12313613)
Show off.

So says the gallivanting merry widow with enormous

Spoiler:
apartment (haha guys, got you going there :rofl:)

bakedbean Aug 10th 2017 10:02 am

Cheeky bugger ;)

Hovite Aug 10th 2017 5:46 pm

My view, and I think this partly reflects your feelings BakedBean, is "home is where the heart is". As my wife, younger son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren are in Sabah, that is where I will stay, it is quite pleasant apart from the incescent heat (I am promised I can escape to Japan for a month every year to enjoy the cool Autumn). If ever anything happened to my wife and my son and his family return to UK, then I would follow them and follow "Plan B" which is to rent, then buy a narrow boat and potter around for my remaining days.

the troubadour Aug 11th 2017 1:27 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12313587)
I like it so much after 4 years that I've just signed a purchase agreement for a penthouse. Renting is a better bet financially but rental places are nearly all furnished and I'm fed up living with other people's stuff :thumbdown:

The social scene is great in Penang, I have met so many really nice people and there is a big pond of expats, so it's not hard to find people you genuinely like.

Having said that, I'm not sure I could live here all year round, at the moment (out of necessity) it's 3 or 4 long trips per year but snowbirding could be the best solution.

Are you still thinking of retiring to Penang, Troubador?

Thanks for reply. Interesting as I believe you exchanged abodes from France to reside in Malaysia. (Both countries I have lived in previously)

It is reassuring somewhat to read your comments on the Penang social scene. Something I found required hard work in France and in certain respects even, oddly, more so here in Australia.

The year round thing I suspect may well pose a problem in my case as well. For that reason we would certainly maintain options to be able to take respite in both Australia and Europe.

Yes we are considering the Malaysia option. It's a country I have always been endeared to, if not always 'plain sailing' while living there.

I have of course been to Penang numerous times, but never lived there. On last return there I was amazed how built up Batu Feringhi had become. Recalling the early eighties and before, rather horrifyingly so.
Also how the 'vibe' appeared to have diminished in the centre.

Saying that there probably isn't too many other suitable options in Malaysia in reality available with anywhere near the 'ease' that appears to avail itself outside the Penang option.

I certainly would not live in KL again and although Melaka was where I lived in the past, it perhaps would not be a retirement consideration.

Yes I enjoy Malaysia and its people. Although have looked at other options, Malta for example, as well as Portugal, France and Germany for various reasons, Malaysia keeps popping up.

Time for a return visit for sure.

the troubadour Aug 11th 2017 1:35 am

Originally Posted by Hovite (Post 12313961)
My view, and I think this partly reflects your feelings BakedBean, is "home is where the heart is". As my wife, younger son, daughter-in-law and 2 grandchildren are in Sabah, that is where I will stay, it is quite pleasant apart from the incescent heat (I am promised I can escape to Japan for a month every year to enjoy the cool Autumn). If ever anything happened to my wife and my son and his family return to UK, then I would follow them and follow "Plan B" which is to rent, then buy a narrow boat and potter around for my remaining days.

Funny you say that. I looked at the narrow boat option as well. Love the idea of pottering about on the canals. Only experience though is a short time on Norfolk Broads and a largely disastrous time living on a houseboat on the Thames at Twickenham. Partner not as keen though.

Agree with your sentiment 'home is where the heart is'. There is no substitution being around those we care for and care for us regardless of whatever low key existential crisis sometimes at play below the surface.

the troubadour Aug 11th 2017 1:48 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 12313608)
Answers in Blue. I have been in Penang just over 7 years now.

Thanks for reply. We indeed do change with changing circumstances. I cannot really imagine how it must be being widowed in Penang.
I suspect rather different from a male perspective considering that part of the world and so on. Or maybe not.

I suspect all being equal I would be more inclined for a Med location. The Brexit situation, with changes to health care cost and even residential legalities not to mention a somewhat drab four months of the year.....turns it back towards an Asian location. Malaysia in my case, is a locality where feel, generally far more at home than a country like Cambodia, when I know people that live there and appear to love it. Even Thailand has very limited appeal and Bali not at all.

the troubadour Aug 11th 2017 1:57 am

Originally Posted by SushiFan (Post 12313579)
Those are a large number of big questions in one post. I think that the answers will be different for each person.

I live in Penang since about 1.5 years and like it here. My daily life is as I imagined before moving here. However, in your view might 1.5 years not yet be long enough to qualify as "having settled". It might be a too short period to make any predictions on the longer term future.

Of course time will tell. But one and a half years is fair time to know your mind.

The excessive heat appears the only somewhat off putting factor mentioned to date.

I was wondering if the smog influenced opinion into living feasibility? My understanding is that is something rather relevant for a few months of the year. Something that would definitely likely be a deciding factor in my case.
Thanks for reply though.

SushiFan Aug 11th 2017 8:09 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12314180)
Of course time will tell. But one and a half years is fair time to know your mind.

The excessive heat appears the only somewhat off putting factor mentioned to date.

I was wondering if the smog influenced opinion into living feasibility? My understanding is that is something rather relevant for a few months of the year. Something that would definitely likely be a deciding factor in my case.
Thanks for reply though.

Before moving to Penang I used to live in Tokyo. This made me aware of what is called "hot and humid weather". Experiencing the climate in Penang is therefore not a big shock to me. I must have been lucky about the smog: I have experienced a mild bit only, thus far. I have heard the horror-stories but it did not influence our decision to move here.

bakedbean Aug 11th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 12314177)
Thanks for reply. We indeed do change with changing circumstances. I cannot really imagine how it must be being widowed in Penang.
I suspect rather different from a male perspective considering that part of the world and so on. Or maybe not.

If I am reading your post correctly it's not so different these days whether male or female. Let's say... there are the same 'attractions ' available if you want to go down that particular road.

Fenella Aug 11th 2017 10:49 pm

We're an example of the MM2Hers bakedbean was referring to. We have MM2H but don't live or (at the moment) ever intend to live in Malaysia.

We sold up in Europe and spend our time travelling (2.5 years now) around Asia and currently, Australia . We needed a base and for us the MM2H visa is ideal, foremost because there is no requirement to live in Malaysia. It enables us to open bank accounts, which in turn means we can have a safe deposit box with the bank to leave all our legal documents instead of carting them around with us. We have a Malaysian driving license, a PO Box in KL and we normally go there once or twice a year to check on mail.

So no regrets at all from our side and one day when we settle down - hopefully far in the future and probably on Bali, it'll be easy enough to cancel MM2H and get our money back should we so wish.