Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Yong Tau Foo... what to pick, how to...

Yong Tau Foo... what to pick, how to...

Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:03 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yong Tau Foo... what to pick, how to...

Can someone give me an Idiots Guide How To on what to do at the Yong Tau Foo stall. How many bits of stuff do you pick up? Any combinations? Then what?

cheers and regards,
Clueless at the Foodcourt
Old Feb 14th 2011, 9:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Yong Tau Foo... what to pick, how to...

Hi Redbean. I better get memsahib Strider to give you a rundown on the delights of yong tau foo. She was also asking me about a good yum char (dim sum) place in the Tg. Bungah area.
Old Feb 14th 2011, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean: For Yong Tau Foo, pick what you fancy and there's a price for certain groups of food eg the different taufoos with fish paste filling, the seaweeds & veggies, the bitter gourd or chilli with similar filling, etc. You have to ask and they add up. Usually 2 soup to choose from - clear or tomyum.

For Dim Sum, well limited real HK ones up to now in Pg, but the closest I and MrC who's originally from HK reckon is at The Forum Restaurant at Island Plaza....on north end of the island. If you go to Canton-i at Q'sBay Mall is the closest & best on the island, but the price is also HK price
Last week friends from KL took me to Cintra St in G'town to try out the Pg old style dim sum - urrr ok but they are Pg style not HK dim sum...I don't mean the look, but the way the content inside those din sums are prepared. I can accept them but not MrC, so didn't argue when I know he won the bet that they are not up to par with the dim sums in HK
Old Feb 15th 2011, 5:14 am
Banned

stranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nicestranded traveller is just really nice

Bakedbean, if you were in KL, defenitly I will show you the best yong tau foo in town..you would love it..simple stall, but yummy
Old Feb 15th 2011, 7:56 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24
Hi Redbean.
I have most definitely not metamorphosised into Redbean

Columbine. I just don't know how many bits n balls is normal to add in. I may consult with Mrs Strider shortly, heh heh. So the Tom Yam one will be spicy, right? And the clear one Non-spicy?

So if you choose the Tom Yam, is that still technically Yong Tau Foo?
Old Feb 15th 2011, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Bakedbean: ya technically they are YTF hehe
I heard the Hakka people make the best YTF and the Teowchews make the best fish balls that spring back when you bite into them
Also was told Ipoh has the best YTF in Malaysia, but maybe some here would know better. Only been taken to Ipoh for their traditional breakfast on the way down to KL . I wa so thirsty after that - must be the msg

Yes, tell me after you've ordered as I've always just picked not knowing how much. Um usually what I thought I could down hehe and that's just a few ringgit.
Old Feb 16th 2011, 7:19 am

Oh sure, some here know better

Anyway I am going to get Expert Tuition tomorrow night I think. I'll let you know how I get on.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:06 am

Okay... I had a BIG bowl of YTF the other night. It was good. My "instructor" said just pick what bits you fancy then add in some shredded veggies if you want, and some noodles if you want.

As I had the Expert with me, I thought best idea would be to fill it up with all the bits and pieces while I could ask her what they were, and pass on the noodles this time. Had the Tom Yam broth with it and a few shredded veggies. It made it quite a filling dish and completely stuffed afterwards

I liked the stuffed veggies - stuffed chillies and aubergines filled with fish paste I think I saw something that looked like chocolate and asked Ms Expert. She only knew the Chinese name but said maybe like the British "black pudding" so tried some of that. Oh yeuuuchh - nah, definitely not like black pudding. I'll pass on that one next time.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

I saw something that looked like chocolate and asked Ms Expert. She only knew the Chinese name but said maybe like the British "black pudding" so tried some of that. Oh yeuuuchh - nah, definitely not like black pudding. I'll pass on that one next time.
iirc that is solidified pure animal blood.
You can find it in other dishes as well.
Much as I love black pudding I don't like that stuff.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 2:57 am

Yes that's what it tasted like - pig's blood Crikey must've got my iron level up.

I was really hoping that it would taste like black pudding. I love that too. Mmmm thinking about big brekkies in the Peak District before a long trek up a tor in a snowstorm Black pudding, two fried eggs, pork sausages, bacon, mushrooms, fried tomato.... dribbly drooly stuff
Old Feb 24th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Hey Bakedbean, how about a YTF meet hehe and you the instructor!!

I had a 'curry mei fun' (curry noodles with a coconutty soup) at the Tg Tokong hawker center last week as I haven't had it for a very long time. I had these big chunky congealed pig's blood. I thought I was ok with it, but by the 3rd cube, I felt rather uneasy as the piece was just too big and I'm not sure if it was purely psychological, I felt the funny taste in my mouth while trying to chew and swallow it...ourg, I couldn't swallow it
I'm ok with Black Pudding as the texture and taste are totally different.
Nope next time I'll omit the dark brown chocolaty 'cubes' in curry noodles.
Old Feb 24th 2011, 8:40 am

I'm feeling a bit sick thinking about that pig's blood now
Old Mar 1st 2011, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Black pudding or blood pudding is a type of sausage made by cooking blood or dried blood with a filler until it is thick enough to congeal when cooled. The dish exists in various cultures from Asia to America. Pig, cattle, sheep, duck and goat blood can also be used depending on different countries. From Wikipedia.

Sama sama lah
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by columbine
Hey Bakedbean, how about a YTF meet hehe and you the instructor!!
MM2H Makan Meetup for MM2Hers and Wannabe MM2Hers is first week of May - please apply within for details but not sure about the YTF instruction.

I'm choosing a lighter version now but still have the Tom Yam soup with it. What's the other soup like? Is it tasty? Not spicy I guess.