Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Yeap Joo Kim books and other Penang writers

Yeap Joo Kim books and other Penang writers

Old Apr 4th 2011, 7:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Yeap Joo Kim books and other Penang writers

Strangely enough, I bought the book Moon Over Malaya when I was living and working in Singapore (at the excellent bookshop Select Books) and had no idea at that time that I'd actually end up in Penang.

Great books about life in olden times in Penang. I've read another one since called Comb, Powder & Rouge.

Any other Malaysian writers to recommend?
Old Apr 4th 2011, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Yeap Joo Kim books and other Penang writers

Mohamed Nor Khalid

If you haven't belly laughed at his stuff then you haven't lived.

Me and the missus have got his autograph.
We've been fans for years and years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lat

Last edited by ex reg; Apr 4th 2011 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 5th 2011, 3:29 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that link. I see he's written two autobiographies. I'll check them out in the bookshop. I've got a little trip down to Singapore soon so I must have a look in Select Books. Hope it's still there - I love that shop.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

I bought a whole heap of Lat cartoon books in the 70's and early 80's which I love to get out as a reminder of what life was like back then. His drawing, topics and humour really summed up the period.

I was in agriculture at the time and so spent quite a lot of time in the villages and Lats depiction of village life was spot on.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24 View Post
I bought a whole heap of Lat cartoon books in the 70's and early 80's which I love to get out as a reminder of what life was like back then. His drawing, topics and humour really summed up the period.

I was in agriculture at the time and so spent quite a lot of time in the villages and Lats depiction of village life was spot on.
Now that brought back some memories. Forgot about Lat. Used to enjoyed his work.
There was a female writer whom I found also very describtive with regards to Malay/Malaysian life during those times.

She was more than capable of bringing out the colourful life that made up Malaysia at the time.

Have one of her books somewhere must try and dig it out.
She wrote a section for one of the daily papers,possibly The Straits Times,but can't get her name.
It was something like Sri Delima? that comes to mind anyway.
Such a observer of life around her though.