Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Old Jun 28th 2008, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

[QUOTE=katongkaren;6512623]Was just saying that Phuket intl hospitals within 20 minute drive - not criticizing the state of Malaysian hospitals. Yeh, MRSA - sure both Malaysian and Thai hospitals are MILES better than those in the UK

EGGZACTLY - just come back from a minor operation packing food poisoning with me - should presumably be grateful it was nothing more dire!:curse:

I wonder if anyone on the site does know about MM2H renewal once too old to get accepted for Health Cover.

I assume most would think I was mad even thinking about dumping UK Citizenship after 6\12 years living in Malaysia ( ???? )..... non-Brits seem desperate to get it!

Best 'n
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:48 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it's more the British Passport rather than Citizenship. Used to have a Philippino friend in the UK, born in Philippines but got British citizenship. He intended eventually to move back to Philippines at retirement stage but said he would never give up the British Passport as "it opened doors round the World" i.e. you never know when you're going to have to move somewhere else - okay I'm talking Philippines rather than Malaysia but you get the gist of it.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 10:49 am
Account Closed

Djoerk, have you made any decisions, come to any conclusions about where to move to? I get the feeling from your latest postings that you are leaning towards KL?? I presume the suburbs.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

angelaj70 is an unknown quantity at this point

Malaysia is such a beautiful country with nice and forthcoming people living there. I believe the downside of the rainfalls is far outweighed by the quality of life there.
Old Jun 30th 2008, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by katongkaren
Djoerk, have you made any decisions, come to any conclusions about where to move to? I get the feeling from your latest postings that you are leaning towards KL?? I presume the suburbs.
Hi Karen : posted pm to you just now. Looks like the 'burbs for various reasons >>> though the schoosh as the car running over the snakes on the road at night in Bangkok was quite good fun! We would all cheer at a biggie - terribley unpolitically correct now! .....Pity we can not do it to Traffic Wardens though!
Old Nov 14th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

ally gud is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

I'm a fan of Air Asia and having heard that they are coming to London soon in their website is really EXCITING. I just cant wait what the COST of travelling from london to KL because my parents can visit me often but having say that i can imagine that Air Asia will charge extra for different seats category, the lowest air fare might only allow us to sit still and no leg room. My wish is to visit Gold Coast Australia. I must say i enjoy the Malaysia Island very much
Old Nov 15th 2008, 5:13 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ally gud
I'm a fan of Air Asia and having heard that they are coming to London soon in their website is really EXCITING. I just cant wait what the COST of travelling from london to KL because my parents can visit me often but having say that i can imagine that Air Asia will charge extra for different seats category, the lowest air fare might only allow us to sit still and no leg room. My wish is to visit Gold Coast Australia. I must say i enjoy the Malaysia Island very much
Which Malaysian island do you like?
Old Nov 15th 2008, 9:59 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Which Malaysian island do you like?
hiya katongkaren. well, my sister been to Langkawi for her honeymoon at the Andanman Spa resort and she been talking about it almost a month. For me the best island in Malaysia located at northern borneo (Mabul, kapalai and sipadan) I want to check out Rawa Island near to Tioman Island. I wish to visit the Orang utan too when im there. i went to pangkor and desaru almost ten years ago. It was great, cheap and not crowded. I also travel to Southern borneo n stay in a longhouse before and experience the 'orang asli' original people (Iban) i hope i spell it correct. i also see them performed the sape music similar to the acoutics guitar. I must say Malaysia is so cultural country. i have friends that try before the Malaysia homestay. They really enjoy the kampung lifestyle.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 6:05 am
Account Closed

Ally, you sound like you've travelled round Malaysia far more than I have.

I like Langkawi very much but for holidays only. I'm not sure if Langkawi is a good destination for retirement purposes as there's not too much there in the way of hospitals, clinics, shops etc. I know people say you can travel to Penang, KL for things but I wonder if that's practical in retirement. Though I guess it gets difficult anywhere in later retirement
Old Nov 16th 2008, 5:51 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs down Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Ally, you sound like you've travelled round Malaysia far more than I have.

I like Langkawi very much but for holidays only. I'm not sure if Langkawi is a good destination for retirement purposes as there's not too much there in the way of hospitals, clinics, shops etc. I know people say you can travel to Penang, KL for things but I wonder if that's practical in retirement. Though I guess it gets difficult anywhere in later retirement
Well, i never say anything about retirement and my sister is there for her HONEYMOON nothing to do with hospital clinic but shops, can u explain that Langkawi HAVE NO SHOP AT ALL? So, where people buy their DUTY-FREE stuff? PLEASE DONT JUMP INTO CONCLUSION. If you not agree with me, it fine with me. Everyone have their preference holiday. I DO FEEL ANNOYING BEING IN THIS SITE, I FEEL THERE ALOT OF CRITICISM HAPPENING AND I DONT WANT TO BE PART OF THIS.
Old Nov 16th 2008, 9:35 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Chill out, ally, no need to SHOUT. I don't see where you were criticised, although whilst it was interesting to read about you and your family's holidays they are not directly relevant to a thread about retirement.

I'd love to have travelled that widely in Malaysia; it's something I regret not doing more of when I lived in Singapore. What's that they say about, don't know what you've got 'til it's gone?

Why don't you start a thread specifically about it? I'm sure it will be a good source of information for other members.
Old Nov 17th 2008, 3:08 am
Account Closed

Well, i never say anything about retirement and my sister is there for her HONEYMOON nothing to do with hospital clinic but shops, can u explain that Langkawi HAVE NO SHOP AT ALL? So, where people buy their DUTY-FREE stuff? PLEASE DONT JUMP INTO CONCLUSION. If you not agree with me, it fine with me. Everyone have their preference holiday. I DO FEEL ANNOYING BEING IN THIS SITE, I FEEL THERE ALOT OF CRITICISM HAPPENING AND I DONT WANT TO BE PART OF THIS.
Sorry, I am not criticising Langkawi - I love the island actually, but this thread is about Retirement. I am early retired (53) so not elderly yet but there are issues you have to deal with when you get older, in your 80s and sometimes 90s now - especially if you have no immediate family to look after you - and you need to plan for these things if you're sensible.

Langkawi is a fantastic choice for a honeymoon destination (very peaceful, beautiful scenery, terrific food and people) but this isn't what this thread is about. Start a new thread???
Old Nov 17th 2008, 5:30 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

I guess i enjoy my holiday there and i agree this thread is about retirement in malaysia. Sorry for my temper. All the best to this retirement thread in malaysia.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point

NOt sure if this is relevant to you but I've found that as a single woman in Malaysia, the western men are very polite and interested in me.

I think any comments regarding quality of life- recreation, shopping etc. are relevant to a thread on retirement .

Last edited by Chris351; Nov 20th 2008 at 5:55 am.
Old Nov 20th 2008, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

Chris351 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Personal attacks

Because there is. The Mods are volunteers and so it is hard to always remove personal attacks based that have no relevance to the topic.
Try to ignore the pettiness and just keep posting your opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.