Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Old Dec 31st 2007, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

shriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really niceshriver9 is just really nice
Default Re: Retire in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by RobSg
I have read with real interest every page on this thread. My name is Rob, am American, and I've lived and worked in Singapore for 19 years as a teacher in international schools. I'm also a PR in Singapore (Permanent Resident). I'm currently living and teaching in Amman, Jordan at another international school for only a year. At 61 years of age, I am looking for a more relaxed pace of life. I have retirement funds I've accumulated that will allow me to do that nicely.

I have always had my rent paid for in Singapore, so while I want to semi-retire there, I really dislike the US$2,000+ rentals for decent apartments they are now asking. I am seriously considering retiring in Malaysia, because it is close enough to Singapore to always have contact there, and a lot of you have even recommended Malaysia.

I have a few questions. If you can answer them, I'd appreciate that.

Are any of you out there now in the "Malaysia- My Second Home" Programme? Can you offer feedback? While I do not need to work, I like the idea of a part-time job. Are you expressely forbidden to do that in Malaysia?

I have read that buying a private apartment is relatively easy, and I have read that as a foreigner I can even get a mortgage? Is that true?

If you buy a place in Thailand or the Phillipines, do you need to pay for the hounse or private apartment outright, or can you also get a mortgage. I have heard that you cannot.

I am looking to buy a place, call that my homebase, and venture off from there. I have considered the States, but after being gone for so long (30 years), I do not like it here so much.

I look forward to your feedback.

Sincerely,
Rob
With regards to your query on whether foreigners under the Malaysia My Second Home program can get a mortgage to buy properties in Malaysia, the answer appears to be " yes ". On the Google seach box type " Malaysia My Second Home - CIMB" for more details. There may be other banks and financial institutions ( besides CIMB ) than offer mortgages for that program.

Another useful website is http://www.mm2h.gov.my/
Old Jan 14th 2008, 4:59 am
Just Joined

kwallace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia?

Im an Aussie who has been working in Malaysia for about 10 years, I also travel to Singapore alot.

With the political scene, it's not as stable as it used to be. The current leader is not as strong as Dr. M and it shows. Corruption has become a larger problem than before as it is alot more blatant.

It should also be pointed out the local media and TV here are also run by the state so it's no different than Singapore.

Singapore is a cleaner, safer and corruption free (2nd or 3rd in world perception rankings) But you do pay for it through the nose, if I had no budget Singapore would win hands down everytime.

If you want to have the best of both worlds look up Nusajaya, its a big development just outside of Singapore near the Tuas interchange (I think it is gated also) So you can live and do whatever in Malaysia and have a break in Singapore sometimes.

If you want to go to KL, Bangsar and Sri Hartamas are the places to go as they are ex-pat zones and the shopping and so on are suited to it. Generally lliving in Malaysia is no problem as we have all the big shopping centres and you can get the latest whatever you want if it's your thing.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:13 am
Just Joined

RobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really niceRobSg is just really nice
Default PR in Singapore but living in Malaysia?

I sometimes wonder that instead of getting a Malaysian retirement visa, could I still live in Malaysia? As a Singapore PR, I would live in Malaysia, perhaps across the border in Tuas or JB, and every three months just make the trip to Singapore to the re-stamp my tourist Visa? If necesary, I would stay in Singapore for up to 2 weeks in the event that I could not immediately return to Malaysia?

My question is can I rent a place in JB or Tuas as a tourist? I know I could never do that in Singapore. I've even considered working part-time in Singapore for maybe three or 4 days a week and making the trip across the border. Does anybody know if this can actally be done? (living and renting a place in JB as a tourist but occasionally working in Singapore)

Thanks.

Regards,
Rob

Last edited by RobSg; Jan 14th 2008 at 5:15 am. Reason: bit should be but
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:29 am
Just Joined

kwallace is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as I am aware you cann actually lease a property unless your a resident.

I tried doing the border jump when I got here the first time, lasted for about 2 years but they do get you in time Possible to get out with a bribe but thats not really a good long term fix
Old Feb 1st 2008, 2:04 am
Just Joined

LizBorneo is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alynn
hi guys,

I would like to ask for opinions regarding retiring in Malaysia...
Would you retire in Malaysia? and why?
has any of you retired in malaysia? any feedback ?would love to here it...
Hi,

I'm a Malaysian from Kota Kinabalu, Sabah (North Borneo) and currently living abroad (Beijing). My husband is Austrian and we used to ask ourselves the same questions. There are 13 states in Malaysia that offers different type of living or lifestyles. Although we have lived and worked in KL for a few years and traveled to other parts of West Malaysia, Kota Kinabalu is still our best choice. I'm not saying this because I am from there, but more so because my husband really like it there. I think choosing a place to retire is a matter of what you are really looking for. For us, it's the combination of the city, the sea, the mountains and modern medical facilities. And yes, English is our second language, so no problem for foreigners.

In order not to bore you reading my story, why not you browse these websites and let me know what you think of my city :-)

1. http://www.sabahtourism.com/home.php?lg=1 - Information on tourism.

2. http://www.mm2h.gov.my/ - All the information you need on how to obtain visa etc.

3. www.sabahmedicalcentre.com - Modern medical facilities

4. http://www.borneocountrystay.com/ - Owned by a British/Malaysian couple. Email them (Terry Mills is British) asked him directly what he thinks of living in Malaysia, and Kota Kinabalu in particular.

5. http://www.touchdowncollection.com/ - Owner is British (Phil Dobson), living and doing business in Kota Kinabalu. The following are also under him:-
www.kudatriviera.com - Luxury villas for investment/second home.
http://www.atmosphererestaurant.com/index.swf

6. http://www.1borneo.com/ - The largest hypermall, complete with luxury condos, hotels, entertainments etc. A mere 15 minutes drive to city centre.

7. http://www.nexusresidence.com/main.html - About 40 minutes drive to the city centre. 1Borneo is in between this resort and the city centre.

8. www.dailyexpress.com.my, www.thestar.com.my, www.nst.com.my - local & national newspapers

Feel free to ask me any questions and I'll try my best to answer.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 9:51 am
Just Joined

lotus eater is an unknown quantity at this point

As a matter of fact yes - I did, I have.

But............................................... ...

Like anywhere it depends upon what you like and who you wish to mix with.

The politics here is a good area to avoid - it pretends to be democratic but is in fact a congenial dictatorship with the same party being in office since its independence from Britain. Opposition is crushed and opponents jailed and barred from politics. The Gov. runs the media and the police force.

But if you keep your head down and don't talk about politics you will be fine.

Most things are cheap here but gradually getting more expensive - food, clothes etc,

Cars are expensive, very expensive compared to the UK.

Anything else just ask - I have been coming here for 27 years and lived here for 4 so far.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 10:15 am
Just Joined

lotus eater is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kwallace
As far as I am aware you cann actually lease a property unless your a resident.

I tried doing the border jump when I got here the first time, lasted for about 2 years but they do get you in time Possible to get out with a bribe but thats not really a good long term fix

Actually yes it is entirely possible, I am on a social visa pass, not PR and don't work here either but when I was in KL I rented several places before I bought one.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Well, if my husband has his way when we reach that stage (retirement) I guess I will be retiring in Malaysia. He's a Petaling Jaya boy born and bred and as the saying goes 'you can take the lad out of PJ but you can't take PJ out of the lad" and he won't be happy till he's pushing up the daisies there!
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Jollytinker is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lotus eater
As a matter of fact yes - I did, I have.

But............................................... ...

Like anywhere it depends upon what you like and who you wish to mix with.

The politics here is a good area to avoid - it pretends to be democratic but is in fact a congenial dictatorship with the same party being in office since its independence from Britain. Opposition is crushed and opponents jailed and barred from politics. The Gov. runs the media and the police force.

But if you keep your head down and don't talk about politics you will be fine.

Most things are cheap here but gradually getting more expensive - food, clothes etc,

Cars are expensive, very expensive compared to the UK.

Anything else just ask - I have been coming here for 27 years and lived here for 4 so far.
Like several on the forum I've spent my life (now in my early sixties) working and living around the world for 2-4 years at a stretch. (Hongkong, Singapore, Australia, France, Kenya, Middle East, and others). Currently living/working in Singapore and about to move (back) to Australia having seriously considered many options including Malaysia, Thailand. Also lived in France for 5 years.

As several have said its very much about one's own and one's partner's personal choices. Here for what its worth is my list of 'things' that are important too me, not necessarily in order of priority -
- Affordability of a home that is not cheek-by-jowl with my neighbour.
- Peace and serenity.
- A climate that allows me to sleep without airconditioning.
- Quietness.
- A retirement-friendly tax regime.(That took us of France)
- Access to nature.
- Clean air.
- Living in a country where the rights of all are respected and so is free speech and not somewhere where "you'r fine as long as you keep your head down".
- Access to sporting and cultural activities even if it means driving to 'the city' for a show or a test match.
- Living and mixing with people from all walks of life who just get on with their lives and are not in any sort of self perceived category such "Expats".

Good luck to all who are in the decision making process. Its probably the most important decision of your life so don't rush it.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

honeybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nicehoneybee is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jollytinker
Like several on the forum I've spent my life (now in my early sixties) working and living around the world for 2-4 years at a stretch. (Hongkong, Singapore, Australia, France, Kenya, Middle East, and others). Currently living/working in Singapore and about to move (back) to Australia having seriously considered many options including Malaysia, Thailand. Also lived in France for 5 years.

As several have said its very much about one's own and one's partner's personal choices. Here for what its worth is my list of 'things' that are important too me, not necessarily in order of priority -
- Affordability of a home that is not cheek-by-jowl with my neighbour.
- Peace and serenity.
- A climate that allows me to sleep without airconditioning.
- Quietness.
- A retirement-friendly tax regime.(That took us of France)
- Access to nature.
- Clean air.
- Living in a country where the rights of all are respected and so is free speech and not somewhere where "you'r fine as long as you keep your head down".
- Access to sporting and cultural activities even if it means driving to 'the city' for a show or a test match.
- Living and mixing with people from all walks of life who just get on with their lives and are not in any sort of self perceived category such "Expats".

Good luck to all who are in the decision making process. Its probably the most important decision of your life so don't rush it.

well said Jollytinker, it all comes down to preferences, your own expectations, etc
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

G2G2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alynn
hi guys,

I would like to ask for opinions regarding retiring in Malaysia...
Not just no but HELL NO!

Lack of transparency, racist laws and politics, heat, inability to get PR or citizenship(not that I'd want it) and it all adds up to bye bye Malaysia very soon.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 10:56 am
Account Closed

katongkaren is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: PR in Singapore but living in Malaysia?

I sometimes wonder that instead of getting a Malaysian retirement visa, could I still live in Malaysia? As a Singapore PR, I would live in Malaysia, perhaps across the border in Tuas or JB, and every three months just make the trip to Singapore to the re-stamp my tourist Visa? If necesary, I would stay in Singapore for up to 2 weeks in the event that I could not immediately return to Malaysia?

My question is can I rent a place in JB or Tuas as a tourist? I know I could never do that in Singapore. I've even considered working part-time in Singapore for maybe three or 4 days a week and making the trip across the border. Does anybody know if this can actally be done? (living and renting a place in JB as a tourist but occasionally working in Singapore)

Thanks.

Regards,
Rob

Sorry if I'm being a bit thick but, if you have Singapore PR, why do you want to live in Malaysia (especially JB) ?
Old Apr 25th 2008, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: PR in Singapore but living in Malaysia?

Thanks.

Regards,
Rob
Eh???????

Tuas is in Singapore.
Old May 1st 2008, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

durian is an unknown quantity at this point

I would suggest doing things in small steps. Moving to any country especially when one is older is a rather big step. Spend a month or so travelling and getting to know the country and then try out a six month stint. Don't buy property until you are sure.
Compared to many of the countries in S.E.A, Malaysia is probably the most peaceful. Sure there is corruption but it is nothing compared to India or Indonesia. It is going through some changes mainly due to the fact that the minority communities are standing up for themselves. They managed to make a surprising impact in the last elections and the government is licking its wounds. But this is just in the early stages. For those unfamiliar with Malaysian politics, the malay population basically run the government and the other races don't get a fair share of power or rights. The last time there was a full blown unrest was in the 60's.
Malaysia is a good base for retirement as Air Asia is Malaysia's answer to Ryanair therefore you can travel dirt cheap, hotels range from flea ridden to ultra luxurious (depends on ur budget), rather safe and you are generally left alone except for some Penang beaches and even Langkawi at times. Where you want to settle down is entirely up to the individual as some people want to be in the town center, in luxury whilst others love the rural setting, some want to live near the beach, some may even opt for resort living near Sepang, Damansara, Hartamas where you have special gated communities with amazing bungalows with pools etc.
Old May 5th 2008, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

djoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the roughdjoerk is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Would you Retire in Malaysia ?

I am thinking for so doing - but am surprised at the number of gated communities. Is it really required? Is this merely an import from America or even South Africa? No such thing exists in the UK. They are also terribly expensive!

As a single female with an elderly Mother - would you recommend a gated community? I would prefer to live in a decent residential area amongst the community which I wish to join - rather than a more "exclusive" area.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.