Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Would like to live and work in Kota Kinabalu

Would like to live and work in Kota Kinabalu

Old Feb 10th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

FLYFISHERMAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would like to live and work in Kota Kinabalu

I am currently living in the UK but would like to move and live in Kota Kinabalu. My wife is a Malaysian Citizen and is at present she is sorting out a new job for herself back in Kota Kinabalu.. She also has her own property in KK so there is no issue of finding accommodation...

I am seeking some general advice from others who have moved from the UK to live in KK. Mainly around the issues of finding work, visa's etc....any tips/hints etc..

Many Thanks from a newcomer to this site...

kev
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would like to live and work in Kota Kinabalu

just to say Hi though cannot offer any advice. maybe have a browse through this forum and look for some Sabah postings. i think there are 1 or 2 and maybe tag on to one if them?
Old Feb 10th 2012, 12:41 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by bakedbean
just to say Hi though cannot offer any advice. maybe have a browse through this forum and look for some Sabah postings. i think there are 1 or 2 and maybe tag on to one if them?
Hi bakedbean,

thanks for the reply...i will keep on looking....
Old Feb 17th 2012, 3:03 am

dreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond reputedreadsoc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Flyfisherman

Welcome from me too and all the best with your plans

And I guess by your site name I should wish you a good catch too !!

Dread - x
Old Feb 17th 2012, 10:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Dread,

Thanks for the welcome...I hope to be living in KK by the middle of this year all being well..I am looking forward to getting involved with some voluntary work to keep my mind active when i get there..will spend a wee bit of time adjusting to the climate etc at first...then find somewhere to go fishing...Happy Days..

All the best

kev
Old Aug 13th 2012, 2:17 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by FLYFISHERMAN
I am currently living in the UK but would like to move and live in Kota Kinabalu. My wife is a Malaysian Citizen and is at present she is sorting out a new job for herself back in Kota Kinabalu.. She also has her own property in KK so there is no issue of finding accommodation...

I am seeking some general advice from others who have moved from the UK to live in KK. Mainly around the issues of finding work, visa's etc....any tips/hints etc..

Many Thanks from a newcomer to this site...

kev
Hi,
Hope this reply is not too late but the following are tips (both I, and my son are married to Malaysian citizens)
1) Make sure you have registered your marriage with the High Commission of Malaysia in London (if you have not already done so) before you emigrate. Do not wait to do it in KK; it is very difficult to do in KK and very easy to do in the UK. It is also a legal requirement;
2) Once you have done that and assuming you move to KK to may apply for a long term social visit visa - currently 5 years but check out the requirements on the government web sites.
3) It is possible to apply for an employment visa extension if you secure a job and you employer sponsors you however this is difficult as opportunities are few and there are strict rules.
Do you have any professional qualifications?
Old Aug 13th 2012, 3:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hovite, is that a social visit visa specifically for those married to Malaysian citizens, or were you referring to the 10 year renewable MM2H visa?

Hope Kev is reading this. Would be nice to know if he's settled in already.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:14 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

Hi bakedbean, that is a Long Term Social Visit Visa which has a duration of 5 years. I received mine in January this year.
There are other visa options but being married to a Malaysian citizen (Sabahan - for nearly 34 years) it seemed the most appropriate. I work outside Malaysia and visit regularly but will stay in KK when I finally retire in a few years time.
If Kev is reading this, I forgot to mention that if he has a UK driving licence he should obtain an IDP before he comes. Once he has obtained an LTSV visa (or other stay visa, not tourist) he can apply for a Malaysian Driving Licence.
If Kev has no particular profession enabling a sponsored job in Malaysia then I would suggest one option before coming to Malaysia is to train as a teacher for teaching English as a foreign language through TEFL and TESOL courses and qualifications.
There is currently a great demand for native English speakers with teaching ability and TEFL/TESOL qualifications.
Old Aug 13th 2012, 4:38 am

Thanks. That's great info for Kev or anyone considering Sabah
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hovite
that is a Long Term Social Visit Visa which has a duration of 5 years. I received mine in January this year.
Hi Hovite,
Do you know if this is this something you can apply for within Malaysia, or is it like the UK and you have to apply while still in your home country? My wife thinks it is possible for me to apply once I have arrived (on an ordinary 90 day stay).

Originally Posted by Hovite
I would suggest one option before coming to Malaysia is to train as a teacher for teaching English as a foreign language through TEFL and TESOL courses and qualifications.
There is currently a great demand for native English speakers with teaching ability and TEFL/TESOL qualifications.
You say .... before coming .... again, do you know if it is possible to train while in Malaysia? Presumably training could be via online? OH and myself looking to move possibly in either October or November. I am coming over to join her this Sunday and we'll be there for 2 weeks before coming back to UK.

Last edited by Bluenose1; Aug 15th 2012 at 8:29 am.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 8:51 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Contact the British Council in Malaysia for details of TEFL courses http://www.britishcouncil.org/malaysia.htm
Old Aug 15th 2012, 9:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that AJW. Gosh the course is more expensive than I imagined it would be - RM8,500! Food for thought, though.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:55 am
KK Resident - Retired

Bluenose1, regarding the Long Term Social Visit Visa I applied for mine during my home leave trips to Sabah. I suggest the best thing to do is while you are in Malaysia this trip is to go to the NRD office in KL - you can find the address on their web site, and talk to an official. They will explain the process and you should be able to obtain a form from them.
Regarding TESOL it is possible to study online while in Malaysia. Visit the accreditation body website and take a look at accredited training venues - http://www.actdec.org.uk/index.shtml. It is also worth looking at your local colleges which may also run TESOL courses. Online study is not easy and you might find it easier to study at a college and obtain the certificate before you relocate to Malaysia
Old Aug 16th 2012, 2:02 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hi Bluenose1, I applied for and obtained my LTSV visa during my home leave break last Christmas/New Year. The Sabah authorities kindly rushed it through as I only had a little over 2 weeks for my home leave break from work in Japan. It would be a good idea when you are in Malaysia this trip to visit the NRD office in KL and speak to an official, explain your plan and ask for a form so that you know the requirements. There is a bit of running around to get forms stamped but they try to make the process as painless as possible. My only problem was that we had not registered our marriage with the Malaysian authorities as that was not a requirement when we married in 1978. Once we overcome that hurdle applying for the LTSV visa in Malaysia was quick and simple.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 3:01 am
KK Resident - Retired

Pollyana please do not delete my messages. The first one would not register as an upload to I retyped it with a lot more detail. I will now upload the second part of my message again. Please do not delete. Thank you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.