Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Wish to update my Malaysia PAYG sim from abroad.. can't seem to do it...

Wish to update my Malaysia PAYG sim from abroad.. can't seem to do it...

Old Feb 12th 2014, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light
Default Wish to update my Malaysia PAYG sim from abroad.. can't seem to do it...

Hello,

My pay as you go sim card from Malaysia which I acquired last summer, is due to expire next week. I have a dual sim phone here in the UK and I just received a message from them (DIGI).

I will be back in Malaysia in less than two months, to spend a good few months there hopefully, and would like to keep the same nice number, and a few contacts also have my number in their phone. Plus it was fiddly to sort out in the first place. Lucklily my Mexican friend was with me, who was understood by the shop-keepers better than I was

Anyway, I tried to topup online, but my card was refused, as the Digi online system unfortunately does not accept foreign bank cards.

Does anyone know of any other way to do this? Or if anyone is feeling trusty and temporarily charitable towards me, then I would be super grateful and happy if you were happy to plonk the minimum 5 Ringgit on my number.. just to keep it active. In return I can buy you a couple of 5 Ringgit meals or similar, such as beer, when I am back? Would be a good reason to say hello again and have a beer. Or if you happen to have a UK bank account, I can transfer money to you that way.

Hope this doesn't sound dodgy, it's not..

Thank you : )
Old Feb 13th 2014, 6:04 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish to update my Malaysia PAYG sim from abroad.. can't seem to do it...

I'm sure some kind person here will help you out.

This is one of the reasons I got a TalkTalk PAYG card as you can buy 12 months validity for 42RM.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 7:51 am
Forum Regular

SpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of lightSpacialTomato is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Wish to update my Malaysia PAYG sim from abroad.. can't seem to do it...

Thanks for drawing my attention to that InVinoVeritas. Maybe I'll just get a new one with them if this one expires, as it won't be the end of world .
Old Feb 13th 2014, 8:56 am
Forum Regular

Harlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud ofHarlow Lad has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by SpacialTomato
Thanks for drawing my attention to that InVinoVeritas. Maybe I'll just get a new one with them if this one expires, as it won't be the end of world .
Hi ST, just top it up via the internet. https://store.digi.com.my/storefront/reload-details.ep

Use your UK credit card.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 12:23 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Harlow Lad
Hi ST, just top it up via the internet. https://store.digi.com.my/storefront/reload-details.ep

Use your UK credit card.
I think ST tried that. TalkTalk don't accept a foreign credit card for online payments either.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 1:00 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure how we can put 5 ringgits on your number without having your mobile I would've thought they would accept any credit card online?

When you finally get back here, pop into Digi as you can buy an extension, doesn't cost much, think it's called Digi long life or something and that keeps your number for a year with no need to top up.
Old Feb 13th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies. Shame I didn't know about the long-life thing before. I will contact them and see if they can suggest anything.

As for topping up remotely, I was hoping it was a system whereby you give them the mobile number, and cash, and they do the rest in store. I don't remember if that's what they did last time I topped up, but in Spain it works like that.

Old Feb 14th 2014, 7:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a top up card from 7-Elevens etc and top up from your phone. Well, I could buy a card, but I don't think the number will work from where you are.

I'd try going online again. Are you using a credit card?
Old Feb 15th 2014, 4:08 pm
Hostage Negotiator

IMHO, you have an insuperable problem SpacialTomato. You can't top up unless your phone is in Malaysia as the special number for recharging won't work outside Malaysia and you can't do it over the Internet with a foreign credit card as it's not an accepted payment method.

Of course, you could mail your SIM to someone in Malaysia for them to do it for you or they could mail you their credit card (in which case perhaps you could mail it to when you're finished with it )
Old Feb 16th 2014, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Just PM to me your number bro. I'll put in RM5 for you.

I had recently changed my phone as my old one had issue and lost your number.
Old Feb 16th 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for the extra replies. Yes it seems a bit tricky. I received an email from Digi customer services that said I could do it online, and they stated 'Foreign Card' but when I went back on to my Online Customer Services account page, I went through with that to try to register my card, but in the T&C's it states

"The automatic reloads service is only available to customers who are VISA/MasterCard credit card holders issued by financial institutions in Malaysia."

Anyway I tried it again regardless but no joy. You have to specify the exact Bank one uses. No simple payment page like I'm used to here. I replied back to them but might have to wait a bit for an answer.

But then I saw Roy's new post, (thank you!) and also another sign of hope, which was on the same account I mention above, there is a page where I can type in a physical reload coupon number

I think this must be the way!
Cheers Roy, if it's still ok I will PM you my number and an IOU note
Thank you very much.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

roystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond reputeroystevenung has a reputation beyond repute

Done, and nah, its ok, you owe me nothing. A bottle of beer here costs more than the top up, in case you have not notice

Secondly I dont drink.
Old Feb 17th 2014, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Roy, a bazillion thank you's x1 bazillion (that's more than I've ever given before). I will compensate you for your time effort and at least 5 ringgit whether you like it or not .
Yes I remember beer is quite a lot more but no big deal, though yes, I also noticed on the Juice thread I saw yesterday after this one, you said you don't drink (beer), but I guess a nice fruit/ juice drink would go down well? Many thanks again!