Where home is

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:49 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where home is

Originally Posted by ex reg
Oi!
Are you changing the subject within a thread!!!!
Awww only a little teeny bit. Subject is Where home is, and that maybe someone's home Can I get away with that?

Claudia, yeh I thought I'd already pontificated on here about where I like in Penang. Well I'll natter some more when I have a bit more time (a bit rushed at the moment). I've only been here for one year so far and haven't really explored too much of other parts of Malaysia yet. I guess you are more interested in other parts of Malaysia? Are you still interested in Malaysia? (if you want to tell us of course)
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 5:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nonthaburi
can be dangerous on Thai beaches for sure what with the riptide definitely and better signs about that would be good. I also think though that a lot of the people who run into difficulties are pretty stupid in the first place. Going into a rough sea not knowing anything about the area.
Thing is of course a lot of folk that do experience difficulty come from nations that have little if any beach danger awareness.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

Claudia1 is an unknown quantity at this point

We have at least 3 - 4 years to retirement & are maintaining an open mind on various options including Malaysia. Under any scenario, we would still most likely spend half year in Sydney.

Claudia
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 9:37 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the clarification. Well you probably already know that plenty of Australians do just what you're planning to do here in Penang i.e. spend about 6 months here then 6 months back home. It sounds like a good idea to me.

I suspect Penang is not the place for you, from what you've previously said, so any info from me is probably not much use to you.

Melaka (Malacca) might be worth a look. I've not been there yet but I think the government have thrown a lot of money at it recently so quite nicely developed. Some say it is a bit sanitized like Singapore (though Singapore not always squeeky clean once you've scratched the surface a bit and gone out to the heartlands).

How about Sabah or Sarawak? Kota Kinabalu? Some friends went there recently and they absolutely LOVED it.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

We liked Penang Hill very much & could probably survive there at a push !! Also, enjoyed Cameron Highlands & might still be an option for 3 - 6 months a year. We have yet to visit east coast of Malaysia. The other area hitting our shortlist for a holiday home is Umbria, Italy - which we know very well.

As promised, hopefully you will now share with the Forum what general area you are considering moving to ?

Claudia
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Claudia1

As promised, hopefully you will now share with the Forum what general area you are considering moving to ?

Claudia
For the foreseeable future I'll be staying in the general area of the north of the island that is within the Retiree Belt of Bt Ferringhi-Tg Bungah-Tg Tokong-Gurney-Pulau Tikus. This is the area I like. If you want me to be more specific, you'll have to go whistle. That's all you're getting on an open forum And I note that you also don't want to be specific about where you are located in Sydney either, so I'm sure you understand.

But I don't think you're interested in this area anyhow.

Italy sounds good but EU imploding. Is that a problem, do you think? Could be a lot of bargain properties mind. What's your thoughts on this? What if the Euro collapses?

I've not been to Cameron Highlands yet but shall do so prob next year. Is there enough to do up there for 3 to 6 months?

You've mentioned Penang Hill a couple of times. Have you looked around the back of Pulao Tikus? Some beautiful old colonial houses around there and just a stone's throw from Penang Hill. There's some sports clubs around there too I think, if that interests.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

My hubby, 3 children & I live just off Double Bay, Sydney.

Claudia
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 4:52 am

Good for you. I live in Penang
Old Jun 27th 2011, 3:31 am

Default Re: Have you learnt Malay?

Originally Posted by Claudia1

If we were forced to live in Penang it would have to be on top of Penang Hill (which I know may not be feasible).

Claudia
Did your children enjoy Penang Hill? How did they cope with the heat and humidity?