British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Where to find plane tickets for Singapore to Penang (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/where-find-plane-tickets-singapore-penang-698229/)

sandcastle Dec 27th 2010 12:53 am

Where to find plane tickets for Singapore to Penang

What is the best way to reserve plane tickets for Singapore to Penang. I just want a direct flight, that if reasonably cheap. I am not sure the large internet travel sights include the smaller airlines (other than Singapore Air and Malaysia Air)? About what is a reasonable fare, so I know when I find something if that is reasonable or I should keep looking because something cheaper should be available if I look more?

I guess Firefly (for Penang to Langkawi), AirAsia are two cheaper airline options. Others?

What about flying from Singapore to Penang and staying for several days and then taking the boat to Langkawi and then flying from Langkawi to Singapore? Does that seem reasonable? Would you just suggest flying between Penang and Langkawi?

bakedbean Dec 27th 2010 1:53 am

Re: Where to find plane tickets for Singapore to Penang

I can't remember all the flight possibilities between the various cities, but just take a look at the different carriers' websites - Firefly, Air Asia, etc etc - you can normally stick in dates on the websites and they'll give you the prices. Then up to you if you want to book or not.

I personally like Firefly and Silkair. Air Asia is okay too.

You wouldn't get me on a boat between Penang and Langkawi for love nor money. Sure, you can get some nice days, but it can be very, very, very scarey. It's a major sea out there and I just don't trust the safety on these boats. And not keen on watching all and sundry honking up either.

Personally I would fly with Firefly. Both Penang and Langkawi airports are very civilized. I think Penang Airport is going through some expansion programme at the moment. Can anyone confirm???

Strider24 Dec 27th 2010 9:13 am

...if you do get a ferry from Penang to Langkawi, go in the morning when the sea is like a mirror. Winds generally start about midday and waves start to form. Its a great trip up. Just did it in a yacht race and was fun coming back...going up at night with a storm was more interesting.:rolleyes:

redbean Dec 31st 2010 2:08 am

Don't forget Jetstar. Was looking up Jetstar site for flight to Saigon / HCMC and found, much to my surprise that it is cheaper to fly from KL via Singapore to HCMC except, there is the bloody long wait in between flight than making my way to Sing for flight to HCMC. :confused:

Tiger has a great special on but once you whack on their airport tax and other levies, Air Asia is sitll the best. Good on you AA! :thumbsup:

bakedbean Dec 31st 2010 7:03 am

I find Tiger very claustrophobic.. not much room

sandcastle Jan 1st 2011 3:51 pm

Thanks that was helpful.

I found Malaysian Air, on sale (Singapore to Penang) was actually pretty cheap (not much over Asia Air) so I took that. For reservations between Langkawi and Penang (for boat or planes) are you general safe waiting to a day or so before - or is it risky they will be full, or expensive? Firefly looks nice for this part. They don't fly direct to Singapore though :-(

bakedbean Jan 2nd 2011 12:34 am

I only know that Firefly flies from Penang to Langkawi, and Penang to Phuket also. I'm sure they fly to a lot of other places too.

I don't know about the ferry to Langkawi. I'll see if I can find someone who can help out.

columbine Jan 3rd 2011 2:49 am

Took the ferry once to Pulau Payar. Beautiful August and sea was very calm all day. From there another ferry to P.Langkawi. Maybe August is a good time to go if taking the ferry:D
Took Firefly from Langkawi to Pg on the return.
All arranged including hotel stay by Firefly at Chulia Street in Georgetown.

bakedbean Jan 3rd 2011 8:43 am

Sounds good. I think I would follow Strider's advice about travelling in the morning on the ferry.

If anyone is interested, Firefly is currently doing some promo tickets for RM 49 each (have to add taxes I guess). Might want to check out their website.

Pinot Noir Jan 4th 2011 5:11 pm

I have taken the ferry on day trips, Penang-Langkawi-Penang on two separate occasions. Both times purchased the ticket at the ferry terminal in Georgetown on the day of departure with no problems. Also no problems with rough seas or people honking everywhere.

bakedbean Jan 5th 2011 1:22 am

Oh nice name, Pinot Noir :D

Was that holidays or did you use to live in Penang? Sorry, being a bit nosey. I see you are in Mexico.

Pinot Noir Jan 5th 2011 1:19 pm

I lived in Singapore for many years during which time I visited Penang on many occasions, usually two or three times a year. I first visited 30 years ago on a backpacking trip thru' SE Asia when there were only two hotels in Batu Ferringhi. It's certainly changed since then!

bakedbean Jan 8th 2011 4:19 am

Yes I imagine it has changed a fair bit, though you can say that about most places I guess.