Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What's your fave foodcourt food?

What's your fave foodcourt food?

Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:33 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's your fave foodcourt food?

Back on foodcourt food - anyone have any comments on Belacan Chicken. I've not yet tried it. It looks to me like Kentucky Fried Chicken but I guess not quite the same . I know what Belacan is. Do they use a lot of it in the dish normally?
Old Nov 9th 2010, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Tell the chauffer not to be such a wimp. It should only take, at the most half an hour drive from most places in Penang.

I would say that the most hassle would be to find a parking spot. Of course there is the local bus, have you tried that.

That is what I like most about living in Malaysia. Most things are so affordable unlike some western cities and the neighbouring island, south of the peninsula..........and I leave it to you to guess where!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:22 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Nah, I don't do buses

I have noticed, by the way, that the trend in Penang amongst expat couples seems to be for the Missus to drive back after dinner and/or drinkies out but not in the bakedbean household I'm pleased to say.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Mr Redbean says he want to get a moped to ride around Penang so when you see us whizzing by, make sure to wave and make way just in case!

Mr Redbean does not trust my driving skills so he limits his drinking to the acceptable limit!
Old Nov 20th 2010, 8:01 am

I tried popiah last night - bloody strange - not sure about that one
Old Nov 20th 2010, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

Wait till you tried fried popiah or perhaps the fried popiah aka spring rolls are not sold in Penang. Fried spring rolls dip in sweet chilli sauce yum!

I have found popiah if not serve immediately tends to be soggy and it is like eating mush. My all time favourite dish is rojak. Have you tried that?
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 1:05 am

Yes I think soggy and mush sounds about right
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes I think soggy and mush sounds about right
Darn shame that! Stall no.17, Padang Brown Hawker Center, Jalan Dato Keramat, George Town is suppose to serve good popiah.

I am not too keen on fresh popiah as I found them mushy. Love deep fried spring rolls and fried won ton.
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by redbean
Love deep fried spring rolls and fried won ton.
Now you're talking I guess those popiah were fresh ones. Not sure I have had rojak - probably not.

What is the drill with Yong Tau Foo? Have hovered around the stall but not figured it out yet. Do you just pick a few bits and pieces then get them to do the rest? regards, Clueless
Old Nov 22nd 2010, 9:06 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Don't like YTF myself but my wife goes bananas over it but only eats it when she cooks it herself.
She buys the YTF from the market, sauce as well, and then adds the YTF to chicken stock or even water to quickly cook it.
Adds some rice and she's in food heaven.

I like something meaty though.

Popiah can be very good with a beer, if it has the right ingredients and chilli balance.
Old Nov 24th 2010, 8:00 am

I'll take the beer or maybe a glass of wine
Old Nov 24th 2010, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

Satay goes well with beer or wine although lately I have been consuming G&T.........too hot for khalua and coffee.
Old Nov 25th 2010, 7:45 am

I love satay but I'm not sure it loves me <all those peanuts>