Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What's your fave foodcourt food?

What's your fave foodcourt food?

Old Sep 24th 2010, 6:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's your fave foodcourt food?

I think it has to be Char Kway Teow, closely followed by Mee Goreng - but so many new dishes to try out. Not tried Yong Tau Foo or Yam Rice yet, but no doubt I'll get to that.
Old Sep 24th 2010, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: What's your fave foodcourt food?

Aiyah! there is no end to culinary delights in Malaysia. In Malacca try special lok lok (meat and/or veg on skewers) cooked in boiling satay sauce instead of usual boiling water. Yong tau Fu needs to be home made type using nice big chillies etc and Taiping Popiah, Ipoh fruit over shaved ice with a dollop on top, Kampung Koh Pan Mee with lots of Kampung Koh chilli sos...never ending...but hard to beat roti tisu at midnight with teh terak at favourite Mamah stall
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

New favourite - Mee Mydin. No idea what was in it. I asked the cook, pointing at each ingredient, What's that? vegetable. What's that? vegetable. What's that? vegetable. So I think it might be vegetarian. I guess the guy had a secret recipe and didn't want to give away too much

And Assam Laksa.....mmmmm
Old Oct 30th 2010, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
New favourite - Mee Mydin. No idea what was in it. I asked the cook, pointing at each ingredient, What's that? vegetable. What's that? vegetable. What's that? vegetable. So I think it might be vegetarian. I guess the guy had a secret recipe and didn't want to give away too much

And Assam Laksa.....mmmmm
If you can find a good Mee Rebus, do try it. Very thick mild curry with lots of mushed spud and all the added goodies with rice. Yeeeum
Old Oct 30th 2010, 9:08 am

sounds fab
Old Nov 3rd 2010, 9:27 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

I get to try "chee chup chok" in Petaling Street, KL. This little makan store has operate since 1958......ahhhhh! could be wrong, don't quote me on the date!

For those of you who are newbies to the local food, it is rice porridge with fish, chicken, pork mince but my all time favourite is pig intestines!!

Ok, ok, someone of you may think this is so uncivilised but wait till you taste it.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:48 am

I ordered pigs feet once in Switzerland and it was just DISGUSTING... could not eat it... but I'm digressing a bit here.

I tried porridge in Singapore a couple of times... I think it was Taiwanese porridge?? but cannot say that I liked it.

I've really got to try Mee Rebus. Where can I get it in Tg Bungah/Tokong/Ferringhi area?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

I ordered pigs feet once in Switzerland and it was just DISGUSTING... could not eat it... but I'm digressing a bit here.

I tried porridge in Singapore a couple of times... I think it was Taiwanese porridge?? but cannot say that I liked it.

I've really got to try Mee Rebus. Where can I get it in Tg Bungah/Tokong/Ferringhi area?
Funny innit, I like pigs trotters but won't try chicken feet.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 4:57 am
BE Enthusiast

No idea where to get Mee Rebus in Penang...but it is an Indian dish (Little India?), although I have always had it at stalls...KL sorry lah.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by ex reg
Funny innit, I like pigs trotters but won't try chicken feet.
I think all feet are out for me.

And as for pig's intestines, oh yech Redbean, please.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:46 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Sure I've seen it in Gurney Drive Hawker Centre.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 8:52 am

Excellent ex-reg That's the food centre right at the end of Gurney? Close to MacDonalds? (Can never understand why anyone would want to eat in a MacDonalds when in Penang but, there you go, we are all different.)

Been thinking about trying that foodcourt. Presume that beer available there?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

redbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant futureredbean has a brilliant future

Most Indian foodstalls would serve mee rebus. The thing that gets me is that most Indian foodstalls tend to use dehydrated noodles instead of the fresh mee.

I was told that the place to try excellent mee rebus is this spot called “Kompleks Makanan Persiaran Gurney” and the stall is “Penang Famous Edgecumbe Road Mee Rebus and Mee Goreng”. so, how about you give this place a go, bakedbean and let me know if it is as good as my source had boasted!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 1:25 am

Cheers redbean - I'll see if the chauffeur can find the place. I think that one is a little along Gurney, isn't it? I think I have seen it.
Old Nov 9th 2010, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by redbean

I was told that the place to try excellent mee rebus is this spot called “Kompleks Makanan Persiaran Gurney” and the stall is “Penang Famous Edgecumbe Road Mee Rebus and Mee Goreng”.
I drove past there today and spotted the Kompleks I'll see if the chauffeur will want to drive that far for dinner.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.