Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What's Komtar in Penang Like These Days?

What's Komtar in Penang Like These Days?

Old Jul 6th 2011, 3:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Komtar in Penang Like These Days?

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat
Is anyone else of the impression that some of these shopping malls mushrooming all over Penang could become white elephants with very few customers?
Yes I think so. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ex-Reg, noted re Komtar stalls. Next time I'm in town I'll take a look but, quite honestly, hardly venture into Georgetown. The traffic is awful most of the time and parking around that area pretty hopeless too.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

Ex-Reg, noted re Komtar stalls. Next time I'm in town I'll take a look but, quite honestly, hardly venture into Georgetown. The traffic is awful most of the time and parking around that area pretty hopeless too.
Bus, man, bus.

Bus station directly under Komtar innit.

Although, I do remember the first time I was in Penang with the missus.
We took one of those old decrepit buses into the Komtar bus station from Batu Fringy and then returned to the bus station later to catch the bus back out.
Couldn't find which bus to take, asked and asked but still no answer and all those fumes in the bus station and the heat.

About 3 hours later, really, after waiting at wrong queues etc etc we found the bus we wanted stopped across the road.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 9:48 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I have bus-phobia. Now, if they built a mono-rail
Old Jul 7th 2011, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

TopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud ofTopHattedCat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bakedbean
The traffic is awful most of the time and parking around that area pretty hopeless too.
I always park in the car park beneath Prangin Mall, if you turn left at the bus station the entrance to the car park is on the left hand side & there is always plenty of space available.
Old Jul 8th 2011, 1:33 am

Thanks THC. I'll try there next time.
Old Jul 12th 2011, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Here is an Komtar article from The Sun Daily http://www.thesundaily.my/news/72224

I guess we we wait and see.

Also I always get a park at a small car park in Dr. Lim Chwee Leong Road just near the overhead walkways on left.
Old Jul 13th 2011, 4:41 am

KAPPA is an unknown quantity at this point

Trader's Hotel also has parking. That Pranglin mall is great for deals and the New 1st Ave is really really anice mall for pricier goods.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.thestar.com.my/metro/stor.../North/9086946

Ramadan is a good time to shop for local Malay snacks, clothes and gifts. I find those little stalls in Komtar interesting. With renovations done the stalls will reopen again