What's Johor like?

Old Dec 23rd 2015, 9:00 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute
Default What's Johor like?

Hey guys

This is Edo sneaking in from the Canada. There is a potential job opportunity in Johor, Malaysia that has been presented to me. I am very familiar with the role but know nothing about that part of Malaysia.

Would someone like to tell me what is Johor like in comparison to KL in terms of living and working? (Not that I have ever worked or lived in KL but at least I know much to use it as a benchmark )
Old Dec 23rd 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Johor like?

Are you referring to the state of Johor or JB town.

Assuming you mean the town then that can be considered as two areas.
Nusajaya and those townships close by and JB town itself.

Nusajaya is the new area and has some good accomodation and places to work, supermarkets, Legoland and a new water park etc etc. It is less densly populated than JB town itself and there are a few ex pats and more people from Singapore who have bought the relatively cheap, compared to Singapore, housing as possible retirement homes or as an investment which might or might not turn out to be wise buys. Some ex pats live there and commute to Singapore.
The are some BE members who live in and around Nusajaya but don't think they post that regularly these days.

JB town is an old area and many of the buildings in the center should be pulled down. But there are new malls and restaurants and you can find some nice houses, but you have to look. Quite a few night clubs, more than Nusajaya and consequently you have to be more aware of yourself and the areas you are in for safety reasons.
I've lived and worked in JB town back in the early 1990s and found it to be no problem and in fact quite enjoyed it.

Comparing JB to KL.
Well KL obviously is a far richer and more developed place with many more job opportunities and choice of everything.
Both places are crowded people wise and traffic wise.
Old Dec 24th 2015, 6:32 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for this information ex reg.

I will check with the recruiter which place exactly was he referring to when he said Johor. He did mention one thing that there would be frequent commute between KL and Johor as part of this role, if that's of any help.
Old Dec 30th 2015, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Edo

I live in Nusajaya and it's not bad. There are a few compounds that expats gravitate to.... Horizon Hills, Leisure Farm, Ledang Heights and East Ledang.

Rents have dropped a lot and you can find good accommodation for a fair price.

Johor Bahru doesn't really seem to have a centre.... it's a massive sprawling place, Malaysia's second biggest city.

I would much rather live in KL as it seems to have more of everything and is generally more "international" but we go up there for weekends and enjoy it.

The drive from JB to KL is normally around 4 hours, though you can go quicker if you go at odd times when traffic is reduced.

You might want to look at the sub forum "Nusajaya..." for more info.

Good luck!
Old Dec 31st 2015, 4:38 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by geedee
Hi Edo

I live in Nusajaya and it's not bad. There are a few compounds that expats gravitate to.... Horizon Hills, Leisure Farm, Ledang Heights and East Ledang.

Rents have dropped a lot and you can find good accommodation for a fair price.

Johor Bahru doesn't really seem to have a centre.... it's a massive sprawling place, Malaysia's second biggest city.

I would much rather live in KL as it seems to have more of everything and is generally more "international" but we go up there for weekends and enjoy it.

The drive from JB to KL is normally around 4 hours, though you can go quicker if you go at odd times when traffic is reduced.

You might want to look at the sub forum "Nusajaya..." for more info.

Good luck!

Hello geedee

Thank you for your response.

I have been told that my working hours on this job will increase from 40 to 60 when I work in or move to Johor from KL, which is kind of giving me cold feet since I will not be able to give time to my family if I have to work that much.

Just wondering if it is a norm in that part of the world to work such long hours?
Old Dec 31st 2015, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Hello geedee

I have been told that my working hours on this job will increase from 40 to 60 when I work in or move to Johor from KL, which is kind of giving me cold feet since I will not be able to give time to my family if I have to work that much.

Just wondering if it is a norm in that part of the world to work such long hours?
Usual to be in the office.

Not usual to be akchewlee working.
Old Jan 1st 2016, 1:34 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
Hello geedee

I work 7:30-5:30 on weekdays as a general rule. Some days I start earlier and finish later. Generally you are recruited as an expat because you are there to fill a skills gap due to lack of competent locals (often brain drain to other countries where they get better pay). Officially I only do 8 hours a day, but obvs not. It's not too bad though as kids are at school and after school activities from 7:30 through to 4:45. I've a driver who takes the kids to/from school, and a housemaid who babysits between their arrival home and my arrival. I set up homework for the kids when they get home which they know they have to do before they get fun stuff (tv, iPad, etc). My commute is about 10 minutes from work and home and my housemaid cooks supper for us on weekdays, so when I'm home I can be 100% with the kids.

So long answe that yes, such hours are normal and expected, but you can organize yourself that the impact is minimal.
Old Jan 7th 2016, 12:51 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
I work 7:30-5:30 on weekdays as a general rule. Some days I start earlier and finish later. Generally you are recruited as an expat because you are there to fill a skills gap due to lack of competent locals (often brain drain to other countries where they get better pay). Officially I only do 8 hours a day, but obvs not. It's not too bad though as kids are at school and after school activities from 7:30 through to 4:45. I've a driver who takes the kids to/from school, and a housemaid who babysits between their arrival home and my arrival. I set up homework for the kids when they get home which they know they have to do before they get fun stuff (tv, iPad, etc). My commute is about 10 minutes from work and home and my housemaid cooks supper for us on weekdays, so when I'm home I can be 100% with the kids.

So long answe that yes, such hours are normal and expected, but you can organize yourself that the impact is minimal.
OK, sounds like you have a great arrangement in your home life and you are on top of your game in making sure your kids do what they need to do even when you are not with them. Just wondering is it common for every expat to have a driver and a maid in Malaysia, and are they provided as a job perk?

Also, you said they recruit expats because competent locals leave the country because they get paid less. Does it mean that they pay expats much more than they pay the locals?
Old Jan 8th 2016, 10:39 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. No my staff salaries come out of my own salary. But unlike the UK the difference is greater and so more affordable.

Salary. Not really in my industry. But locals get paid more by moving to eg USA or Middle East than they an get here.