Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:18 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

Yes it's the same here for some veggies. Chinese potatoes not sure about them hehe. I've been getting Aussie new potatoes in the supermarket called Pink(?) potatoes..not too bad. I quite like the American russets too, nice for mash. Mmmm miss my potatoes that I used to grow in Norfolk
Old Jun 28th 2013, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ill bring a bag of potatoes when I come
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:04 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Awww bless your cotton socks. Could you also bring some smoked haddock and a nice piece of mature English Stilton please?
Old Jun 28th 2013, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Indeed, Im buying them all now and keeping in my case, Will that be mature enough for the cheese :-)
Old Jun 28th 2013, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Yes it's the same here for some veggies. Chinese potatoes not sure about them hehe. I've been getting Aussie new potatoes in the supermarket called Pink(?) potatoes..not too bad. I quite like the American russets too, nice for mash. Mmmm miss my potatoes that I used to grow in Norfolk
The Indonesian ones. I think from memory they are called 'Granola' are very good.

For some reason NTUC in Singapore have started selling at least 6 different varieties of spuds.
Old Jun 28th 2013, 3:57 pm

I don't think we get the Indonesian ones. At least, I've never seen them. Used to get some Dutch potatoes in Cold Storage which were OK if you wanted a potato that didn't break up, but they seem to have disappeared now. The Aussie Pinks are a good substitute. Good if you're doing something like rosti where you don't want the spuds to mush up too much.

Something else to note about Malaysia, you find some products that you like, then all of a sudden they disappear and you never see them again. Bloody irritating.
Old Jul 9th 2013, 6:18 pm
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Something else to note about Malaysia, you find some products that you like, then all of a sudden they disappear and you never see them again. Bloody irritating.
Lol! Thats so true! My wife is always getting frustrated, standing in Aeon, scratching her head, saying: "I'm sure they had those beans here last time!"
Old Jul 18th 2013, 3:26 am
Forum Regular

So, being flexible and using what is available will be the right way to go :-)
Old Jul 19th 2013, 1:06 am

Yes I think that's fair to say. By the way, don't worry about bringing smoked haddock now . I found some in Tesco. Joys.
Old Jul 19th 2013, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

I thought I was bringing potatoes :-)
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:25 pm
JC3
¿uo buıob s,ʇɐɥʍ

JC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond reputeJC3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julian1968
Having just had my tea in the UK, Asparagus, Green Beans, Spinach (I love my veggies) Im wondering what veg is available in Malaysia. Im happy to go local and experience new things rather than spend a fortune on imported stuff. Are there veggies that are similar to the things I would find in the UK?

I know you can buy fruits at local markets what about fish and poultry.

What is the cost of all these things?
Regarding the costs of groceries in Malaysia:

If New York = $100
Liverpool = $86
KL = $55

See the cost of living index at Numbeo.com.

So in theory your weekly shopping bill should be about 1/3 less than in the UK.
Of course in Malaysia imported goods are typically premium priced. Once you start putting those in your trolley (biscuits, marmalade, dairy ice-cream, cheese, sausages etc) your bill will go up dramatically.
Alcohol in the supermarkets is also pricey, roughly 1/3 more than in the UK.

Overall I find our weekly shopping bill comes to about the same as in the UK. But then when it comes to cheese, biscuits, a decent bottle of wine, 'proper' bread, Devonshire clotted cream...I'm just too soft. Into the trolley they go.

Now, if my wife is food shopping the bill is much less. I can't understand that.... Put that back!

JC3
Old Jul 23rd 2013, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks JC