Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

Old Jun 24th 2013, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

julian1968 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

Having just had my tea in the UK, Asparagus, Green Beans, Spinach (I love my veggies) Im wondering what veg is available in Malaysia. Im happy to go local and experience new things rather than spend a fortune on imported stuff. Are there veggies that are similar to the things I would find in the UK?

I know you can buy fruits at local markets what about fish and poultry.

What is the cost of all these things?
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What vegatables are available in Malaysia?

Originally Posted by julian1968

I know you can buy fruits at local markets
Really!
I'd never have guessed.
Gobsmacked.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:05 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

There are LOADS of lovely fruits and veggies in the market. Some veggies same as UK.....off the top of my head.... potatoes, onions, long beans/french beans, tomatoes, lettuce, cucumbers, aubergines, carrots, zukini/courgettes, okra...... You'll find a lot of different spinach like "greens" like pak choy and other Chinese greens.

Fruits are fabulous, probably some you may not have tried like jackfruit, rambutan, different kinds of mangoes and melons, starfruit as well as some "usual" British favourites: apples, pisang/bananas, pineapple, oranges...... even strawberries from Cameron Highlands (north of KL).

Actually quite a lot of veggies come from Cameron Highlands where it's a tad cooler climate.

I'm getting hungry

I've not been in the UK for a long time so cannot compare prices. From what folks tell me, suspect fruit and veggies are a lot cheaper unless you buy something imported.

I think exReg has been back to the UK recently so, rather than being sarky , maybe he'll let us know.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 6:06 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

You can also get a fair selection of veggies and fruit in Tesco.

Fish and meats also available in the market. Supermarkets also can.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Bean

Nice to know I will recosgnise some but also looking forward to trying out the new types.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean

I'm getting hungry

I think exReg has been back to the UK recently so, rather than being sarky , maybe he'll let us know.
I'm still here.

For me local prices of local fruit, veg, meat and fish in Malaysia is a lot cheaper than UK.
Imported stuff can be much more expensive.
You have to get used to the cleanliness though.

Just in France recently.
The markets there are better and in some cases cheaper than the markets in Malaysia/Singapore, (Toulouse and Rennes are exceptional, but some of the small weekly village markets can be so friendly) and way better than UK markets and I'm quite close to two medium sized UK fresh food markets.

I love visiting fresh food markets even if I don't buy anything and often visit the wet markets in Singapore just for the buzz.
Old Jun 24th 2013, 9:08 pm
Forum Regular

I agree Reg, the markets are a great place to be. The farmers markets are not a cheap place to buy in the UK, £2 plus for 'artisan' bread and many other ways of trying to scoop my hard eraned from my pockets for over priced yet 'trendy' food stuffs.
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:16 am

Think ExReg has a point re cleanliness or may it be lack of Rules. So many EU food rules in the UK. You don't get that here...good and bad to that I suppose.

Just on the 'good side' (as I like to be positive ) there's a great old Chinese guy here in Penang selling home made Lincolnshire sausages and...boy..they taste like sausages used to taste , if you know what I mean.

Erm...as we are now Bean and Reg, shall we call you 68?
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:26 am
Forum Regular

68 is fine ... Im almost glad I wasn't born a year later !!
Old Jun 25th 2013, 2:32 am

Oh I thought that was your age
Old Jun 25th 2013, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

You thought I was 1968 years old :-)
Old Jun 25th 2013, 4:09 pm

Just for you I took notice of what I was spending at the market this morning. This was Tg Bungah market in Penang. Not actually my closest market but I like this one as it's in the "retirement belt" and quite laid back and plenty of parking.

From the fruit stall at the back I got 1 papaya (smallish), 4 Thai honey mangoes, and half a pineapple. This came to RM 13 (or GBP 2.65). Cannot break it down further apart from the half pineapple which was "prepared" and marked as RM 3.50 (GBP 0.71). I've noticed that the fruit stall tends to round down the total.

I ordered 5 chicken double fillets (deboned with skin on) from the chicken man. He prepared them while I was buying my fruit. This came to 2.1 kilos of meat and he charged RM 27 (GBP 5.50). He offered to de-skin them too but I couldn't be bothered waiting for that.

Also paid for 30 minutes parking which was RM 0.30 (sixpence hehe )

Be interested to know how that compares with the UK actually, as I am totally out of touch with ol' Blighty. I've not been back for years and just hear from my UK friends who travel back and say it is expensive (which doesn't tell me much).
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bean ... I have never heard of the honey mangoes so cant compare there however pineapple, large and good quality here in UK are £1 for a full one and the papya, well I cant find a price for them yet

Chicken fillets in Tesco here are £9 per kg ( I dont buy these really in the UK because they are pumped with water, salt and sugar to incresase weight for the shop)... big rip off

Parking in Liverpool, well thats always robbery and I just dont bother. However in shopping cntrs it is free for 4 hours
Old Jun 25th 2013, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

Nakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond reputeNakrob has a reputation beyond repute

Big difference in price between local grown and imported veggies. My wife likes to shop without looking at the prices (!) so I had to point out in the first few months here that the broccoli imported from Aus is more expensive than what we used to pay in Aus and way more than local produce.
I still find imported veggies in the fridge!
Old Jun 27th 2013, 8:23 am
KK Resident - Retired

Hovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of lightHovite is a glorious beacon of light

We regularly shop for fruit and veg at the local tarpaulin covered "local" market in the town nearest our home in Sabah. I say "local" as a label however one stall holder told us the onions he sold came from India or was it Holland? (he had 2 varieties, the ones on display that had been transported frozen and were dark in colour and the ones in the box under the table had been transported in chilled condition). Working through the apparently local veg on his stall we found out that it came from Holland, India and China. So much for the "local" market!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.