British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   What is Malaysia like (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/what-malaysia-like-511616/)

gugs Feb 4th 2008 11:33 am

What is Malaysia like

We are thinking of retiring in Malaysia under the MMH programme. Just wanted to know from people already retired there what they like and dislike about the place.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences

LizBorneo Feb 5th 2008 12:52 am

Re: What is Malaysia like

Hi,

You can read some comments posted under "Would You Retire in Malaysia".

Regards.

honeybee Feb 6th 2008 10:55 am

Hi,
I am not nearing retirement yet, I am British and my OH is Malaysian. I lived and worked there for over 12 years. It's a beautiful country with all the mod cons easily available and the lifestyle is great provided you have enough funds. If you come with British pounds you will be relatively well off. Houses are still cheap relative to European prices. However, prices of everything have been creeping up steadily over the last few years (according to my friends that still live there).
The current situation on the political front is not too good and you will not be able to garner what that is from the mainstream press as everything is controlled by the govt. Malaysia is supposedly a democratic country but it is anything but with the opposition parties being allowed no press time etc. It is really a 'controlled' democracy with increasing islamic tendencies over the last few years.
We have contemplated going back to live there but if you are not a Malay then life may not be so blissful. You may also encounter lots of hiccups dealing with bureaucratic civil servants who believe that it is their god given right to make your life as miserable as possible! I am married to a Malaysian but still havent got a PR. My British friend does as he is married to a person with the right religion and has the right contacts (nepotism is rife). If these type of things dont matter and you just want to retire, have a nice life and keep your head down then Malaysia is ideal! :):)
Having said all of that try and do a search on other expat blogs with more feedback on Malaysia before you make a decision.

lotus eater Feb 28th 2008 9:39 am

Hot, damn hot!

The above gentleman is right in just about all he said. But it is not the right religion, nor is it the right race - but like anywhere else the right contacts!

I am of the right religion and my wife of the right race but this has never helped us as much as me being white here in Malaysia.

Regarding PR - its a mare's egg! Few get it even if living here for 15 years plus, many give up.

MM2H is fine if you are not married to a local, then of course you cannot apply.

MM2H expects a huge sum to be deposited in the bank - a bank of the gov's choice that is and only allowed to be touched to buy a house here, otherwise you cannot touch your own money, the interest neither.

honeybee Mar 3rd 2008 9:47 am

Originally Posted by lotus eater (Post 5993841)
Hot, damn hot!

The above gentleman is right in just about all he said. But it is not the right religion, nor is it the right race - but like anywhere else the right contacts!

I am of the right religion and my wife of the right race but this has never helped us as much as me being white here in Malaysia.

Regarding PR - its a mare's egg! Few get it even if living here for 15 years plus, many give up.

MM2H is fine if you are not married to a local, then of course you cannot apply.

MM2H expects a huge sum to be deposited in the bank - a bank of the gov's choice that is and only allowed to be touched to buy a house here, otherwise you cannot touch your own money, the interest neither.

Hi Lotus Eater,

The "gentleman above" is really a girl! Perhaps I write like a man! :rofl:
Nevertheless I do agree with what you say. Are you living in Malaysia now?

jamesinsing Mar 8th 2008 10:28 am

Originally Posted by honeybee (Post 6010107)
Hi Lotus Eater,

The "gentleman above" is really a girl! Perhaps I write like a man! :rofl:
Nevertheless I do agree with what you say. Are you living in Malaysia now?

What is Malaysia like? I don't like it as much as I like Singapore :0