Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

What jobs is my husband allowed to do?

What jobs is my husband allowed to do?

Old Jan 15th 2014, 10:00 am
Just Joined

t34b4g is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What jobs is my husband allowed to do?

Hi,

I'm considering applying for a teaching position in KL. My husband and I are both British, and he would be interested in working too, but having read some posts and searching the Internet, we're concerned he won't be able to work.

His background is in hotels and restaurants. He's not worried about salary, he just wants something to do. He doesn't have any formal qualifications and we guess that his age may be an issue (he's 52).

Are foreigners allowed to work in this industry at all? Is it possible for him to find work? Maybe someone can tell us more about the employment situation in Malaysia.

We'd appreciate any guidance you can give us.

Thanks.
Old Jan 15th 2014, 12:22 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What jobs is my husband allowed to do?

Hi...just to say Welcome to the forum
Old Jan 16th 2014, 5:37 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by t34b4g
Hi,

I'm considering applying for a teaching position in KL. My husband and I are both British, and he would be interested in working too, but having read some posts and searching the Internet, we're concerned he won't be able to work.

His background is in hotels and restaurants. He's not worried about salary, he just wants something to do. He doesn't have any formal qualifications and we guess that his age may be an issue (he's 52).

Are foreigners allowed to work in this industry at all? Is it possible for him to find work? Maybe someone can tell us more about the employment situation in Malaysia.

We'd appreciate any guidance you can give us.

Thanks.
Technically speaking he'd need a work permit, however in practice a great deal of restaurants, bars etc seem to employ foreigners (eg Filipinos etc) and I'd be highly surprised if they had proper work permits. Once you get here, suggest you approach some of the expat pubs and restaurants and ask. Grab a copy of the Expat mags upon your arrival to get a feel of who to approach.
Old Jan 19th 2014, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

kebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond reputekebi has a reputation beyond repute

Waiters etc. who you see in restaurants are usually working with a "foreign worker permit". These workers are under special regulations and one of them is that they are not allowed to come with family. This permits must be applied by the employer

"Working conditions for Dependent Pass holder

The Husband/Wife of the Expatriate Officer holding the Dependent Pass is permitted to work without having to change his/her Dependent Pass to the Employment Pass on condition that he/she acquires working approval from the Immigration Department

Terms and conditions
1. Job Offer from any company/Government Agency
2. Prior approval from approving agencies such as: MIDA, MDEC, Bank Negara, Securities Commission, Public Services Department.
3. For those without approval from any agency, application is subjected to conditions laid down by the Expatriate Committee."

Note by kebi: the procedure is the same as for any work permit approval. First step is for the company to get the approval of the post. It is easier to get it if you apply for a "Dependent". The conditions could be found: http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/m...ion-for-a-post

"Procedures - Work Permit by Endorsement
1. Applications can be submitted to the Employment Pass Division of the Immigration Headquarter Putrajaya or the nearest Immigration Office in any state.
2. Applications for Work Permit by Endorsement can be submitted on approval of the Dependents for application:
i. Cover letter and Letter of Authority from the company.
ii. DP11 Form
iii. Job offer or Employment Contract
iv. A photocopy of the complete passport.

Fees Charged
Free"