British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   What if Any Negatives Are There to Living in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/what-if-any-negatives-there-living-malaysia-719578/)

the troubadour Jun 4th 2011 10:15 am

What if Any Negatives Are There to Living in Malaysia

How do you find dealings with officials or in general getting things done?

Is the humidity too much at times? Do you miss the seasons? Anything at all bother you with regards to your adopted home?

the troubadour Jun 5th 2011 2:16 am

Re: What if Any Negatives Are There to Living in Malaysia

Does no one miss a brisk walk in Hyde Park or Kensington Gardens or some place else on a cold winters day?

Or sitting by a cosy log fire at night....

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 3:17 am

Ha Ha Ha, yes the thought does conjure fond memories of good ole blighty. Overall I just prefer a warm climate all year round without the need to scrape frost off windscreens & all the other cold related negatives.

I don't really miss the seasons either although summer in the UK is great, circumstances have dictated to me that all my recent sojourns back to the UK have been in winter, great for football but crap for weather.

The humidity doesn't really bother me, I think most expats probably go from air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned shopping mall/restaurant.

I've friends I sometimes visit in Kampungs & it doesn't bother me in the slightest not having the luxury of air con when I visit.

the troubadour Jun 5th 2011 3:33 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9410865)
Ha Ha Ha, yes the thought does conjure fond memories of good ole blighty. Overall I just prefer a warm climate all year round without the need to scrape frost off windscreens & all the other cold related negatives.

I don't really miss the seasons either although summer in the UK is great, circumstances have dictated to me that all my recent sojourns back to the UK have been in winter, great for football but crap for weather.

The humidity doesn't really bother me, I think most expats probably go from air conditioned home to air conditioned car to air conditioned shopping mall/restaurant.

I've friends I sometimes visit in Kampungs & it doesn't bother me in the slightest not having the luxury of air con when I visit.

I suppose they do. Sounds a little sanitised way of living to me though.
Never had air con when i lived there but did take plenty of showers lol.

Wouldn't mind living in a Kampung house,that rustic back to nature lifestyle does have some attraction to me.(goats,chickens a buffalo or two)
At least in my mind. Know the realities are a little different having witnessed the good and the bad of a similar style a few decades back.

bakedbean Jun 5th 2011 6:04 am

Originally Posted by the troubadour (Post 9409708)
How do you find dealings with officials or in general getting things done?

Is the humidity too much at times? Do you miss the seasons? Anything at all bother you with regards to your adopted home?

Dealings? Yup can be a bit trying at times but you get used to it. Having moved from Thailand, it's actually an improvement.

Humidity? Yup again, but fans and aircon available. Prefer hot to cold personally.

Seasons? Nope don't miss UK seasons. The weather here does vary but just between Hot and Hotter, Rainy and Dry, Windy or not. Suits me okay.

Bothers me? Georgetown traffic jams.

TopHattedCat Jun 5th 2011 6:11 am

But if you compare Georgetown traffic jams (or even jams in KL) they pale into insignificance with the jams cities like Bangkok, Manila or Jakarta.

bakedbean Jun 5th 2011 1:31 pm

Probably true Top Hat but don't suppose I'll ever live in any of these locations. Have said many times before, and others have said too, there is no Utopia out there. It don't exist. Best way is just to choose a location where you can poke up with the bad points - but just my opinion. Penang fits the bill for me (at least currently)

the troubadour Jun 6th 2011 2:25 am

Originally Posted by TopHattedCat (Post 9411023)
But if you compare Georgetown traffic jams (or even jams in KL) they pale into insignificance with the jams cities like Bangkok, Manila or Jakarta.

Indeed,but then it is a rather small island. Public transport should be put to better use.
Discourage locals from excessive car usage by usual means.
Actually I thought that George Town traffic wasn't quite as intensive when last there in 2004.
Twenty years before seemed far more traffic including many more bikes.
Had the feeling many folk had been relocated from the centre as well.
No where near the hassle and bussle along Penang Road and surronds.

joamelie Jun 6th 2011 3:21 am

Nope...I don't miss any of those things...I do miss my family and friends, but I also have some great friends here.
I also don't miss being permeantly rushed and the general stress of my life back in the UK. Things here aren't perfect but they weren't perfect back in the UK either and I'm enjoying what I have here...when I stop enjoying it, it will be time to move on!

Atilla Jun 6th 2011 7:34 am

For me whatever the bad points might be are outweighed by the worse points of stopping in the UK (e.g. high cost of living, climate/weather, declining services, poor public transport, weather, anti-social, behaviour, tax, tax and more tax, lack of food variety unless in large cities and even there you pay through the nose).

Having lived in the UAE with the 50 degree + summers and what can only be described as 'steam room' humidity the heat and humidity of Malaysia I find quite pleasant. In fact, I find anything up to 40 quite pleasant and am quite happy walking around up to 30-35. Only use air con once temp hits over 40 so will likely stick to fans.

Compared to Dubai and Abu Dhabi the traffic is a breeze and the standard of driving much, much higher.

optimistic_jim Jun 6th 2011 9:03 pm

The more I read and learn about Malaysia the more I worry that the negative will be having to return to the UK in 3 years time!

Will have to see how it goes, do such a good job that they will want to keep me or extend my contract. Think it'll be a real culture shock when I get there but that's actually a big part of the excitement for me!! :)

Can't wait to join you...

the troubadour Jun 7th 2011 2:09 am

Originally Posted by optimistic_jim (Post 9414555)
The more I read and learn about Malaysia the more I worry that the negative will be having to return to the UK in 3 years time!

Will have to see how it goes, do such a good job that they will want to keep me or extend my contract. Think it'll be a real culture shock when I get there but that's actually a big part of the excitement for me!! :)

Can't wait to join you...

Perhaps not as big a culture shock as you may imagine. Saying that there are differences a plenty but not usually unpleasant.

Who says you must go home? Sounds to me like a pretty happy bunch of expats are forming in places like Penang Island and are there for the long haul.

Considering doing the same myself.

Strider24 Jun 7th 2011 2:17 am

You can't predict the future. Originally I came to Malaysia in the mid 70's for a 2 year contract...stayed 15. Now back again retired under the MM2H scheme.

It gets into your blood.:thumbup:

the troubadour Jun 7th 2011 2:31 am

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 9415163)
You can't predict the future. Originally I came to Malaysia in the mid 70's for a 2 year contract...stayed 15. Now back again retired under the MM2H scheme.

It gets into your blood.:thumbup:

It surely does get into your blood. I grew up with the word Malaya,having an Uncle whom had a rubber plantation, was a POW in Changi,left soon after independence in 57 but was full of stories about this exotic country(or so it seemed to me at the time) even taught me to count in Malay before i went to school.

Atilla Jun 7th 2011 4:12 pm

My house having just sold to a cash buyer I shall be back to Pg shortly. Can't wait :thumbsup: