Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

what areas of Penang do most expats live?

what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Old Jun 20th 2018, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

miramar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Are there certain areas of Penang where expats tend to live? Any areas to avoid?
Old Jun 20th 2018, 12:08 pm
Expat in Malaysia

kingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond reputekingoflostfools has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Originally Posted by miramar
Are there certain areas of Penang where expats tend to live? Any areas to avoid?
Most tend to living in the North Eastern coastal sector of the island stretching from GeorgeTown (places like Times Square), Persiaran Gurney and then following Route 6 up through Tanjung Tokong, Straights Quay, Tanjung Bungah, Miami Bay, Miami Green and Batu Ferringhi.

Not all of us do, obviously as there lots of other nice places to live, such as Balik Pulau on the more undeveloped West Coast and around Queensbay and the Airport / Industrial Zone at Bayan Lepas (where I live).

There are no "rough" places to live as such, just more run down parts like Air Itam, Pulau Tikkus, etc.
Old Jun 21st 2018, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

miramar is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools
Most tend to living in the North Eastern coastal sector of the island stretching from GeorgeTown (places like Times Square), Persiaran Gurney and then following Route 6 up through Tanjung Tokong, Straights Quay, Tanjung Bungah, Miami Bay, Miami Green and Batu Ferringhi.

Not all of us do, obviously as there lots of other nice places to live, such as Balik Pulau on the more undeveloped West Coast and around Queensbay and the Airport / Industrial Zone at Bayan Lepas (where I live).

There are no "rough" places to live as such, just more run down parts like Air Itam, Pulau Tikkus, etc.
They you so much that will help with looking for an apartment!
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

InFlagranteDelicto is an unknown quantity at this point

How about with the redevelopment going on at Gurney? Is it better to be further away from Gurney driver these days?
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 8:26 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto
How about with the redevelopment going on at Gurney? Is it better to be further away from Gurney driver these days?
I think the whole of that area is to be avoided for a few years - I was in Marina Bay which is already badly affected by noise and pollution associated with the construction. Same goes IMHO for Tanjong Tokong which will be the main access for lorries, cement mixers and the like.
Old Jun 22nd 2018, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Same goes IMHO for Tanjong Tokong which will be the main access for lorries, cement mixers and the like.
I live near that main street but the traffic you refer to did not really both me during the last year or two. I have the impression that most of the development in Seri Tanjung Pinang is now more or less completed (give it another year). Except for the new tower which they recently started building behind Marina Bay.