British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   what areas of Penang do most expats live? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/what-areas-penang-do-most-expats-live-914120/)

miramar Jun 20th 2018 9:39 am

what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Are there certain areas of Penang where expats tend to live? Any areas to avoid?

kingoflostfools Jun 20th 2018 12:08 pm

Re: what areas of Penang do most expats live?

Originally Posted by miramar (Post 12519209)
Are there certain areas of Penang where expats tend to live? Any areas to avoid?

Most tend to living in the North Eastern coastal sector of the island stretching from GeorgeTown (places like Times Square), Persiaran Gurney and then following Route 6 up through Tanjung Tokong, Straights Quay, Tanjung Bungah, Miami Bay, Miami Green and Batu Ferringhi.

Not all of us do, obviously as there lots of other nice places to live, such as Balik Pulau on the more undeveloped West Coast and around Queensbay and the Airport / Industrial Zone at Bayan Lepas (where I live).

There are no "rough" places to live as such, just more run down parts like Air Itam, Pulau Tikkus, etc.

miramar Jun 21st 2018 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by kingoflostfools (Post 12519298)
Most tend to living in the North Eastern coastal sector of the island stretching from GeorgeTown (places like Times Square), Persiaran Gurney and then following Route 6 up through Tanjung Tokong, Straights Quay, Tanjung Bungah, Miami Bay, Miami Green and Batu Ferringhi.

Not all of us do, obviously as there lots of other nice places to live, such as Balik Pulau on the more undeveloped West Coast and around Queensbay and the Airport / Industrial Zone at Bayan Lepas (where I live).

There are no "rough" places to live as such, just more run down parts like Air Itam, Pulau Tikkus, etc.

They you so much that will help with looking for an apartment!

InFlagranteDelicto Jun 22nd 2018 12:18 am

How about with the redevelopment going on at Gurney? Is it better to be further away from Gurney driver these days?

InVinoVeritas Jun 22nd 2018 8:26 am

Originally Posted by InFlagranteDelicto (Post 12520447)
How about with the redevelopment going on at Gurney? Is it better to be further away from Gurney driver these days?

I think the whole of that area is to be avoided for a few years - I was in Marina Bay which is already badly affected by noise and pollution associated with the construction. Same goes IMHO for Tanjong Tokong which will be the main access for lorries, cement mixers and the like.

SushiFan Jun 22nd 2018 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 12520575)
Same goes IMHO for Tanjong Tokong which will be the main access for lorries, cement mixers and the like.

I live near that main street but the traffic you refer to did not really both me during the last year or two. I have the impression that most of the development in Seri Tanjung Pinang is now more or less completed (give it another year). Except for the new tower which they recently started building behind Marina Bay.