British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Web Design in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/web-design-malaysia-793568/)

julian1968 Apr 10th 2013 3:45 pm

Web Design in Malaysia

I posted recently on my potential move to Penang in the not to distant future. I have mentioned I may look at self employment while there and while researching for this I notice that a lot of websites in Malaysia or rubbish, so an opportunity may be there.

Has anyone here had a site designed or maybe can offer some help or advice. For example, how good is the interweb thing in Malaysia, is it fast and reliable? how much does it cost to get set up etc

Thanks

ajw Apr 11th 2013 4:51 am

Re: Web Design in Malaysia

Originally Posted by julian1968 (Post 10651659)
For example, how good is the interweb thing in Malaysia, is it fast and reliable? how much does it cost to get set up etc

Thanks

'How good is the interweb thing in Malaysia?' - can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean levels of online penetration in Malaysia? Or e-commerce activity in Malaysia or do you mean the knowlege and availability of IT talent here (designers, developers etc) building sites and applications?

Internet speeds here are not as fast as the UK, Northern Europe, the US or Australia. A lot of people live with 1mps or less. As far as I'm aware you can get up to 30mps for a price.

Costs of setting up: Do you mean to set up a business or to connect to the internet? For internet take a look at Maxis, TM Unifi and Astro IpTV for cost details.

julian1968 Apr 11th 2013 6:16 am

Thanks for the reply ajw

ex reg Apr 11th 2013 8:01 am

Originally Posted by ajw (Post 10652813)
'How good is the interweb thing in Malaysia?' - can you be a bit more specific? Do you mean levels of online penetration in Malaysia? Or e-commerce activity in Malaysia or do you mean the knowlege and availability of IT talent here (designers, developers etc) building sites and applications?

Internet speeds here are not as fast as the UK, Northern Europe, the US or Australia. A lot of people live with 1mps or less. As far as I'm aware you can get up to 30mps for a price.

Costs of setting up: Do you mean to set up a business or to connect to the internet? For internet take a look at Maxis, TM Unifi and Astro IpTV for cost details.

I get the free 1Mbps service in Singapore and it does eveything I want, surfing, watching live TV, youtube etc etc.
Only snag is when I download upgrades to say malwarebites or similar it takes slightly longer.

I'm in UK at the moment and my download speed here is 7Mbps and I can honestly see no difference on anything I use the computer for.

Don't diss the 1Mbps service.:D:D

ajw Apr 11th 2013 8:04 am

Not dissing it. Simply saying that many people get by on it (like yourself). Having said that it is considerably slower than speeds obtainable in other parts of the world, which is what the OP was asking, I think.

julian1968 Apr 11th 2013 8:13 am

Indeed ajw, I was, if the 1Mbps is ok for you then I agree you are fine. Im not sure I could get used to it after higher UK speeds and for online business, I would prefare faster.