British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/wanting-get-advice-where-live-malaysia-657109/)

SUNSHINE_HUNTERS Feb 28th 2010 3:17 pm

Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia

Hi All,
We are a UK family looking at moving to Malaysia under "the second home programme. We have 2 children of secondary school age and wondered about schooling and the price? Is there such a thing as free schooling??
What would we expect to pay renting a 3 bedroom apartment with mod cons?
Also recommendations on tourist hotspots: Would we need a car? How good is public transport?
Sorry for all the questions..........would really appreciate so honest advice good or bad.

ex reg Mar 1st 2010 1:18 am

Re: Wanting to get advice on where to live in Malaysia

I could give you some answers but they wouldn't be as current or as expert as others on here.

But one thing I would say is you should really consider your thinking on moving.
Now you have no reason to give your reasoning on here, I'm not trying to force it out of you or anything, but my first thought was I hope it isn't a 'just watched a TV programme and that looks like a good idea' type of thing.

People with children still at school usually move for job reasons rather than just looking for sunshine.
You haven't mentioned job prospects which would lead me to think you have sufficient money available but then you go on to ask about free schooling, public transport etc. you see it just doesn't gell to me.

Once/if you get some answers to your questions, which to me are by no means exhaustive and don't even scratch the surface of info required, then perhaps a family visit for a couple of weeks to a couple of possible living locations would be advisable.

Of course you have to start the ball rolling somewhere but imo YOU need to do a lot more thinking and research off your own bat before asking some lightweight questions on a forum.

bakedbean Mar 3rd 2010 6:23 am

There's a lot of info for MM2Hers and potential MM2Hers here - independent forum run by a British MM2Her in Malaysia just as a hobby.

http://www.my2home.info/index.php

If you can't find answers to your questions, just join the forum and post some questions. Lots of residents in Malaysia post on there.

Re car - I suppose you know that you can buy a tax-free car under MM2H or bring in your own car tax-free? I would've thought that if you're ferrying kids to school, a car would be essential?

If you've not been to Malaysia, do some research first then check it out, see if you like it. Some do, some don't. And bear in mind that different areas of Malaysia are racially different - it's a huge country - it depends what you're happy with.

For anyone not au fait with the MM2H scheme, it's not just for retirees. Younger folks, families can apply too, with different application rules. I have friends in Penang in their 40s on MM2H - they have their own business in a European country and they work somewhat "remotely" (PC work) from Malaysia. Any money earned outside Malaysia can be brought in tax-free - though obviously if you have a business elsewhere you may be liable for tax in that particular country. I also know of someone who works in Singapore but lives in Malaysia under MM2H with their family.

If you're retired and British and getting a British pension, due to the double tax agreement between the countries, you just need to fill in some forms, and you can get your British pension paid gross - absolutely tax-free.

SUNSHINE_HUNTERS Mar 4th 2010 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 8382979)
I could give you some answers but they wouldn't be as current or as expert as others on here.

But one thing I would say is you should really consider your thinking on moving.
Now you have no reason to give your reasoning on here, I'm not trying to force it out of you or anything, but my first thought was I hope it isn't a 'just watched a TV programme and that looks like a good idea' type of thing.

People with children still at school usually move for job reasons rather than just looking for sunshine.
You haven't mentioned job prospects which would lead me to think you have sufficient money available but then you go on to ask about free schooling, public transport etc. you see it just doesn't gell to me.

Once/if you get some answers to your questions, which to me are by no means exhaustive and don't even scratch the surface of info required, then perhaps a family visit for a couple of weeks to a couple of possible living locations would be advisable.

Of course you have to start the ball rolling somewhere but imo YOU need to do a lot more thinking and research off your own bat before asking some lightweight questions on a forum.

Thanks for the input to my wifes initial posting, we are currently researching all that is available. As for our reasons for the move we are currently in the UK after many years working and living overseas. Its enough to say we don't plan on staying. My work is global with an emphasis on Australasia at the moment, I quite often work remotely so only require good Internet connectivity.

SUNSHINE_HUNTERS Mar 4th 2010 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 8389440)
There's a lot of info for MM2Hers and potential MM2Hers here - independent forum run by a British MM2Her in Malaysia just as a hobby.

http://www.my2home.info/index.php

If you can't find answers to your questions, just join the forum and post some questions. Lots of residents in Malaysia post on there.

Re car - I suppose you know that you can buy a tax-free car under MM2H or bring in your own car tax-free? I would've thought that if you're ferrying kids to school, a car would be essential?

If you've not been to Malaysia, do some research first then check it out, see if you like it. Some do, some don't. And bear in mind that different areas of Malaysia are racially different - it's a huge country - it depends what you're happy with.

For anyone not au fait with the MM2H scheme, it's not just for retirees. Younger folks, families can apply too, with different application rules. I have friends in Penang in their 40s on MM2H - they have their own business in a European country and they work somewhat "remotely" (PC work) from Malaysia. Any money earned outside Malaysia can be brought in tax-free - though obviously if you have a business elsewhere you may be liable for tax in that particular country. I also know of someone who works in Singapore but lives in Malaysia under MM2H with their family.

If you're retired and British and getting a British pension, due to the double tax agreement between the countries, you just need to fill in some forms, and you can get your British pension paid gross - absolutely tax-free.

Many thanks for your helpful and encouraging reply we are checking out the link you suggested. It would be interesting to here from your friends that live in Penang as we are also in around 40 with children. The MM2H scheme sounds very promising from our research, we had tried to move to the USA but hit a brick wall with Imigration. I look forward to updating you on our progress and no doubt asking some more questions.

bakedbean Mar 5th 2010 6:11 am

I also sent you a PM a couple of days ago but I get the feeling that you may not have seen it. At the top right hand corner of this page you'll see "Private Messages". Just click on there and you should get it.

Re internet, there's a subforum on my2home.info called Internet and Mobile Options in Malaysia - just pan down the index page, you'll find it - and there's some lively discussions in there ;)

meursault Mar 19th 2010 5:12 am

Hello Sunshine Hunters!

I currently love in Penang which certainly has sunshine! I rent a condo for RM1900: it has 3 bedrooms and mod cons and there is a gym and pool in the building among other amenities. There are many other decent condos in Penang though I only know of the ones in Tanjung Bungah and Batu Ferringi areas and from what I've seen you can pay between 1500-2000 per month for such a place.

I'm a secondary school teacher and as far as I know your children would have to go to an international school rather than a local school. I may be wrong in this but I assumed all the local schools were for local students. There are a few international schools here offering British curriculum ed. and American.

Public transport is limited to buses but a car would certainly be more convenient, esp. if you are to move to batu ferringi area or areas away from the main roads.

Penang is very family-oriented actually so the culture should suit...

Good luck!

'M'

ex reg Mar 19th 2010 9:16 am

I would add to meursault's reply that brand new buses are now available into the Tanjong Bungah/Batu Feringhi area and they are 1000 times better than the old and clapped out Hin buses.

The nearest Supermarket to TB/BF is the one in the basement of Gurney Plaza iirc.

We don't like Batu F ourselves but TB is great for holidays and we go there regularly.

I could see myself living in Penang TB but for my wife it's too quiet.

meursault Mar 19th 2010 12:05 pm

Yes, the new buses are good though no timetable as such to plan by..

Island Plaza has a supermarket which is better than the one in Gurney though this chain is rather expensive. Convenient nevertheless.

bakedbean Mar 20th 2010 8:15 am

Re supermarkets, both Gurney Plaza (Gurney Drive) and Island Plaza (in Tanjung Tokong) have Cold Storage supermarkets. Personally I didn't find them expensive when I visited, though I imagine if you go buying western foods they'll be a bit more expensive than local foodstuffs. Giant supermarket on the western side of Georgetown. There's a Tesco being built in Tanjung Tokong. You won't starve.

Why no supermarket in Batu Ferringhi? It beats me. There must be a market for one.

danjones1 Mar 23rd 2010 5:11 pm

Cameron Highlands is nice, and its like home too

dkellymalaysia Mar 29th 2010 2:18 pm

Hi. I live and work in Malaysia. I have many friends here who are on MM2H and were lucky enough to retire/semi-retire here. MM2H rules/benefits are quite flexible. There is not any free schooling here for foreigners. I would say that Kuala Lumpur has the best schools (naturally) and they come at a premium. Penang also has international schools (second on the price scale). Ipoh is a nice area to live. More for your money house wise and schooling is cheaper. Ipoh is also cooler. Its probably 1.5 to 2 hours drive from Kuala Lumpur (the roads are very good). Lots of things in Malaysia are cheaper. You will benefit on MM2H by being able to buy a car in Malaysia without having to pay the ridiculous taxes residents and employed people pay. Petrol (gas) is cheap. Back to schools. If your children. The best (in my opinion) is Alice Smith School (If you are British then you will have heard of Rory and Tony Underwood (England Rugby). They both schooled here. If you search Alice Smith School on the internet. If you go to the fees section this will give you a fair reflection of the Kuala Lumpur prices. There is also a new British School. www.bskl.org.my Also has fees on the website. It may be easier to get a place here as its new and as yet unproven. I can recommend it personally as a good school. If you want any more info please contact me at [email protected] . Just for notes, if you are British then please note your pound is not worth too much at the moment. Its currently below 5 for consumer rates. The USD appears to be much more stable against the RM.

bakedbean Mar 30th 2010 2:12 am

Great school advice Dkelly. When you say Ipoh is cooler, are you comparing with KL or elsewhere in Malaysia?

dkellymalaysia Mar 30th 2010 3:34 am

Ipoh is cooler than KL. Its a little higher up. You have the cameron highlands in that area (tea plantations etc). KL has been in the late 30's to 40 for the last couple of weeks. Obviously its not bad if you dont have to sit out in it all day. I live in KL because of work and well there are a lot more creature comforts up to a UK/US standard (shopping malls, restaurants, bars, hospitals, airport etc etc). If I was retiring or semi retiring then Ipoh maybe a nice choice. There is an expat community there, an international school and its significantly cheaper.

bakedbean Mar 30th 2010 6:22 am

Originally Posted by ex reg (Post 8431773)

We don't like Batu F ourselves but TB is great for holidays and we go there regularly.

I could see myself living in Penang TB but for my wife it's too quiet.

I'd be interested to know which hotel(s) you'd recommend for TB. We were considering staying in TB on next trip but were put off by some reviews on the internet. Some Malaysian hotels can be a bit grim, can't they?