Visiting Singapore

Old Mar 28th 2013, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice
Default Visiting Singapore

Hi everyone,

Wife and I would like to see Universal Studios and general sights in Singapore..maybe spend week altogether.in April.

Does anyone have a view as how best/cheapest to go,from KL? Bus maybe better than train eh. Perhaps stay in Johor Baru hotel and bus over to the principality each day? or is it better to join a tour company?

Any advice much appreciated,

Ken
Old Mar 28th 2013, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visiting Singapore

Coach from KL to Sing.
Personally I wouldn't stay in JB and travel to Sing each day.

Overall a tour company maybe cheaper?
But maybe unlikely to find a 6/7 night tour to Singapore?

S$100 per room per night for a hotel may be about the cheapest you can get unless you go backpacker style.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:17 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ex-Reg. Serious question. Would be interested to know where you'll find a decent hotel for SGD 100 per night. Pretty sure we last paid SGD 250 per night for a teeny weeny room in Tiong Bahru. I like that area, but that's sure a lot of money.

Also like to know Why not stay in JB? Cheers.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

kennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nicekennyboy33 is just really nice

I suppose ex-reg thinking of hassle and travel time from JB over to Sing, and back each night..someone mentioned its around 1 and half hours each way..dunno if thats accurate.

JB hotels sure are lot less expensive though eh

Kenny
Old Mar 28th 2013, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Hi Ex-Reg. Serious question. Would be interested to know where you'll find a decent hotel for SGD 100 per night. Pretty sure we last paid SGD 250 per night for a teeny weeny room in Tiong Bahru. I like that area, but that's sure a lot of money.

Also like to know Why not stay in JB? Cheers.
Looook bb the prices have spiraled since the last time I looked.
But friends of mine got much better rates when booking from UK last year, substantially less.
http://www.asiahotels.com/hotel_sear.../direction:asc

Some of these aren't too dodgy.
The two Fragrance Hotels for US79 per night are in Pasir Panjang Rd south of Clementi and although I haven't been in them are OK, near food outlets and imo would be much better than traveling to JB every night.

There is also a thread in the Sing forum somewhere where english mum or someone else. forgive my memory whoever did post it, gives what looks like a great place in the center of town for a very acceptable price.

One and half hours travel time to JB is on the high side, depending on time of travel, not by much though and if caught in a jam then it would be much longer.

Last edited by ex reg; Mar 28th 2013 at 10:04 am.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:15 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks ExReg. I wasn't being sarky... Honest

I think just got to bite the bullet if planning on a Sing trip these days. I've got a vagueish idea about a short break later in the year, depending on how the year pans out, but I think just cough up the reddies eh. After all, you cannot take it with you.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bakedbean
Thanks ExReg. I wasn't being sarky... Honest

I think just got to bite the bullet if planning on a Sing trip these days. I've got a vagueish idea about a short break later in the year, depending on how the year pans out, but I think just cough up the reddies eh. After all, you cannot take it with you.
( these smileys are the best I've seen on any forum I use )
No doubt everything in Singapore is expensive these days.
We still look for value but finally we just pay the asking.

Going over to Malaysia is like a breath of fresh air and even though we know as ex pats we will be overcharged there we still think it's so worth it.

We were over at a sea food place in JB recently and knew we were charged the ex pat price.
Still good value though and we generally have fun chatting to people there where in Sing you just don't get the same interaction, unfortuantely. It didn't used to be like that here.
Times change we are just too old to change with them.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ex reg
we generally have fun chatting to people there where in Sing you just don't get the same interaction, unfortuantely. It didn't used to be like that here.
Times change we are just too old to change with them.
That's funny you should say that ex reg - I find it the exact opposite. I was always chatting to people in Singapore but I don't find people so easy to chat to in Malaysia (so far - and it's been 10 months now!)

Anyway - back to the original question - personally if you're coming for a holiday I wouldn't stay in JB and travel back and forth either. Just too much hassle for what's meant to be a relaxing time - but maybe that's just me.

If you book through one of the cheap deal websites like www.zuji.com.sg or www.agoda.com you should find something fairly reasonably priced - as long as it's outwith Singaporean school holiday dates.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Bocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond reputeBocat has a reputation beyond repute

Thought this might be of interest for your travel plans. Air Asia offering free seats from Malaysia to Singapore. Must be booked by 31st March:

http://www.yoursingapore.com/content...ore-on-airasia
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

but I think just cough up the reddies eh. After all, you cannot take it with you.
true bb,but maybe spend it on more important things
Old Mar 29th 2013, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks all..really helpful

ken