British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Visiting KL (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/visiting-kl-873419/)

scrubbedexpat141 Mar 3rd 2016 4:55 am

Re: Visiting KL

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine (Post 11884867)
Forgot mention Mandarin has a cool golf simulator next to the bar......

Anyway, don't stress about the Towers too much. They are cool for SEAsia, but I'm sure you've seen higher. The view is great, only if it's not raining or no haze.

Grab and Uber work well, but so does flagging down taxis. If they try to set a fixed price, you're being ripped off, so walk away/out. I've climbed out of taxis, as a solo woman a number of times because they are trying to rip me off. Meter is best.

Don't walk long distances. It's sweaty in a way the ME isn't. Also as a non local you don't know which routes have sudden random pavement breaks /stops and you find yourself walking down the side of a dual carriage way in the road.....

Yeah, looked at the weather recently and humidity seems off the chart. We dealt with it in Vietnam and places but it's pretty sticky.

Golf simulator sounds quality- thanks for that.

Most places in SE Asia that we've been to involve negotiating the big white man tax with cabs. I found myself arguing over 40 pence in Thailand. Still, worth knowing so thanks for the heads up.

I love being in cities so I'm looking forward to just exploring and getting around and seeing lots.

eCdD Mar 3rd 2016 7:01 am

When you arrive, just get the leaflet with the routes for the free GoKL busses.

Only four routes, but there is no place in KL that it will not bring you. But from KLCC to BB the elevated walkway is a much better option in peak hours. Never ever take a taxi, bus or car at peak hours, that is the most important advise in KL :D

OriginalSunshine Mar 3rd 2016 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11885097)
Yeah, looked at the weather recently and humidity seems off the chart. We dealt with it in Vietnam and places but it's pretty sticky.

Golf simulator sounds quality- thanks for that.

Most places in SE Asia that we've been to involve negotiating the big white man tax with cabs. I found myself arguing over 40 pence in Thailand. Still, worth knowing so thanks for the heads up.

I love being in cities so I'm looking forward to just exploring and getting around and seeing lots.

Just insist on a meter. No meter = no fare.

OriginalSunshine Mar 3rd 2016 10:17 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 11885159)

Only four routes, but there is no place in KL that it will not bring you. But from KLCC to BB the elevated walkway is a much better option in peak hours. Never ever take a taxi, bus or car at peak hours, that is the most important advise in KL :D

Especially not during Friday prayers, nor when it rains. In those situations, find a nearby cafe, and hunker down.

patr Mar 4th 2016 8:23 am

Thanks for the welcome Baked Bean. Hope all you experienced forummers will forgive my inexperienced posting. I thought I'd posted this before but can't find it so assume I Did Something Wrong...or it was eaten my the ants that live in my keyboard.

Just wanted to suggest to Scamp that, if he likes music, check out the MPO. It's not all classical, they also have Unplugged and Happy Hour sessions which are more contemporary or jazzy. Tickets for these are only 30 or 40 rm. Once a month they have an open rehearsal too. No Black Tie, Pisco Bar and Frisky Rooftop have music and Pisco and Frisky also have free European cinema nights.

patr Mar 4th 2016 8:30 am

Originally Posted by eCdD (Post 11885159)

I completely agree with the "avoid rush hour" advice

GoKL bus routes are here GOKL

I use them a lot but not between KLCC to B Bintang. It's easier to walk.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 7th 2016 12:06 pm

Thanks again. Just got back.

Fantastic city, some cracking places visited and thoroughly enjoyable. :thumbsup: