British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Malaysia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/)
-   -   Visa on arrival (https://britishexpats.com/forum/malaysia-148/visa-arrival-683091/)

stevebenaulim Aug 28th 2010 8:20 am

Visa on arrival

Sorry if this has been discussed already, im a British passport holder, just heard Malaysia no longer issue the usual 3 month visa on arrival.
Please anyone.:thumbdown:

paul_thompson Aug 28th 2010 8:53 am

Re: Visa on arrival

That's news to me - there's nothing on the fco web site about it. Are you sure it's for British passport holders? Malaysia has cancelled the tourist visa for India, China and a few other Countries.

paul_thompson Aug 28th 2010 9:09 am

Just to clarify,

British passport holders get a social pass for 90 days, the Malaysian Government have cancelled the VOA. :thumbup:

stevebenaulim Aug 28th 2010 9:15 am

Thanks, not sure but a friend e-mailed me this AM and told me that Malaysia have stopped the visa on arrival, or social pass for everyone???.
Ive checked sites etc, and no news, but these sites are not updated.
Keep each other informed on this one, its possible.:thumbdown:

paul_thompson Aug 29th 2010 4:48 am

If that's the case then I'm f*****!! I live in KL on a 3 month visa, or social pass or whatever it's called!

I do think that it's not a problem, Malaysian Government has stopped the VOA because there were so many Indian, Chinese etc overstaying and working. Apparently while I've been living in KL for the past 2 years, coming from Britain, I've been granted a social pass rather than VOA.

The FCO web site is kept up to date and is informative.

Don't worry!

Enjoy Malaysia - I do!

britishbull Oct 3rd 2010 1:01 pm

I am British and got the usual 90 day stamp on arrival without any problems about two weeks ago.

Does anyone know if there any limits on how many times you can get this stamp, can you for instance go out of the country and back in three times and stay there for most of the year?

Strider24 Oct 3rd 2010 1:13 pm

There are a large number of people who have lived in Malaysia many years by doing the 90 day run to Thailand or Singapore or wherever. I don't know of anyone having a problem with it.

ex reg Oct 3rd 2010 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Strider24 (Post 8892959)
There are a large number of people who have lived in Malaysia many years by doing the 90 day run to Thailand or Singapore or wherever. I don't know of anyone having a problem with it.

Well that sounds a bit apocryphal to me.
Certainly when doing it to Singapore maybe 20 years ago I got cautioned after about the fourth time.

Things may have changed but I can't see them becoming more lax.

Strider24 Oct 3rd 2010 3:53 pm

Confess my wife and I only did the 90 day run 2 years prior to getting MM2H social visa. But had no problems at all in that time.

bakedbean Oct 4th 2010 2:02 am

I have a friend in outer KL who has been on continual visa runs for about 15 years now and no sign of stopping - completely off the radar.

lastresort Oct 12th 2010 7:57 am

Originally Posted by bakedbean (Post 8893844)
I have a friend in outer KL who has been on continual visa runs for about 15 years now and no sign of stopping - completely off the radar.

Does he face any trouble with leasing or buying property or anything else? What if he wants to start a business?

bakedbean Oct 12th 2010 8:08 am

I wouldn't want to comment on that. ;)

lastresort Oct 12th 2010 8:20 am

What can you say about it?

I have a fixed income and want to move to a country long-term where they don't require proof of income, etc for visas. Which countries would work for me?

britishbull Oct 12th 2010 2:02 pm

I think the Philippines and Cambodia are the easiest on visas if you are on a low fixed income, Malaysia seems fine from the above but I think general living costs will be a bit higher. Also depends how old you are and how high your fixed income is. I would say the best place to live would be Thalland as long as you don't get involved with bargirls (nearly all have local husbands, many with connections to the Mafia) both PI and Cambodia can be very violent places. But Thailand is a bit awkward for visas and getting expensive as the baht gets ever stronger.

Basically, the real third world in Asia isn't a very nice place to live and the countries that are powering ahead out of developing world status are tightening up their visas whilst their currencies improve, so you probably have to go off the radar somewhere and keep your mouth shut about it, as too many people heading there will soon ruin it. Which means, take six months out to travel around trying to find somewhere newish.

lastresort Oct 12th 2010 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by britishbull (Post 8913348)
I think the Philippines and Cambodia are the easiest on visas if you are on a low fixed income, Malaysia seems fine from the above but I think general living costs will be a bit higher. Also depends how old you are and how high your fixed income is. I would say the best place to live would be Thalland as long as you don't get involved with bargirls (nearly all have local husbands, many with connections to the Mafia) both PI and Cambodia can be very violent places. But Thailand is a bit awkward for visas and getting expensive as the baht gets ever stronger.

Basically, the real third world in Asia isn't a very nice place to live and the countries that are powering ahead out of developing world status are tightening up their visas whilst their currencies improve, so you probably have to go off the radar somewhere and keep your mouth shut about it, as too many people heading there will soon ruin it. Which means, take six months out to travel around trying to find somewhere newish.

That's what I was afraid of. Only the backward countries seem to be options. What if you were able to start a small business in one of the more modern cities (e.g. Australia, HK, Singapore, Beijing, Shanghai, Taipei)? Would you be able to gain permanent status there?