Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Old Mar 17th 2018, 6:28 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Validity of overseas marriage in Malaysia

Originally Posted by Macsta
Hi Gunnar, how does that work, do the wives leave the country every three months? Also are they not disadvantaged if the husband passed away and any Malaysian assets remain.
Yes, and yes (get a will written)
Old Mar 17th 2018, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

ChrisC1955 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well...
When we’ve taken the road, I’ll come back and say how it went. 😁
Old Mar 28th 2018, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndoTom
There have been several good answers to your questions so I won't add anything more to them. But I should mention a few things of relevance which is best done before you proceed with marriage.

Marrying a Muslim woman by a non-Muslim man is not just prohibited in Malaysia but actually prohibited by the Islamic religion itself, Quran 60-10. This issue is what will probably cause both of you the most problems. The number of problems is too long to discuss now but just be aware they will eventually manifest themselves. The BIGGEST one I will mention is your wife may realize the prohibition at some point in her life as people tend to reflect on their faith later in life and demand you convert or divorce. So it's best to have a fact finding discussion with your future wife about this now.
However, all you need to do is say you are muslim. Sure in Malaysia they make you go to classes & stuff, but if you rock up to the High Commission in London and write down you are muslim on the forms, that's good enough. I converted to marry my wife (in Indonesia) and never got questioned about my sincerity because all knew it was a legal formality - helped that the in-laws were fine with it - said the shahada in front of them. Heck - theres a term for it in Indonesia "Muslim KTP" (Muslim on your ID card)

My wife has actually changed to being buddhist when she went through the faith-reflecting stage, so there's no point guessing what may happen in the future. Technically I guess she is an apostate and should be killed, but unless you plan to live in certain parts of Syria, that is not going to be a problem

My view - might as well be an atheist muslim as an atheist anything else.

Last edited by sayang; Mar 28th 2018 at 4:02 am.
Old Mar 28th 2018, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, sayang. We have done some research and we believe that we have come up with a practical - and legal in Malaysia - answer. I’ll explain later - when it has worked!
I full concur with your attitude toward religious objections! 😁😁
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 6:07 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
Yes, and yes (get a will written)
Not sure how effective a Will works for a marriage between a Muslim and a Non-Muslim.
No inheritance between a Muslim husband and his non-Muslim wife - Islam web - English
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 7:38 am
Forum Regular

Hi sayang. Can I clarify if your experience is with Indonesia or Malaysia? When you refer to the High Commission in London and "Forms", which HC and forms do you mean?
Thanks
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

si196426 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Chris
Can you let me know what route you are taking as I am in the same boat. My wife is from Sarawak, she moved over here on a 30 month visa and we married here in England.
We are looking at moving back over there late next year or early 2020. We tried to register our marriage over in her home town but they said we couldn't due to my wife having a muslin name, as she is a convert due to her 1st marriage. I have been searching the internet and asking questions but can't seem to get a clear answer. I am looking at going down the MM2H as a single person, any advise or help would be grateful.

Thanks Simon.
Old Apr 3rd 2018, 4:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by si196426
Hi Chris
Can you let me know what route you are taking as I am in the same boat. My wife is from Sarawak, she moved over here on a 30 month visa and we married here in England.
We are looking at moving back over there late next year or early 2020. We tried to register our marriage over in her home town but they said we couldn't due to my wife having a muslin name, as she is a convert due to her 1st marriage. I have been searching the internet and asking questions but can't seem to get a clear answer. I am looking at going down the MM2H as a single person, any advise or help would be grateful.

Thanks Simon.
Hi Simon, can you send a personal message.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 5:41 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChrisC1955
Hi sayang. Can I clarify if your experience is with Indonesia or Malaysia? When you refer to the High Commission in London and "Forms", which HC and forms do you mean?
Thanks
My experience is with Indonesia. My assumption is that you will need to register the marriage with the Malaysian HC, similar to the way we needed to register our Indonesian marriage with the UK embassy in Jakarta.

Yes, at some point you will probably need to say you are muslim to keep everyone happy.
Old Apr 4th 2018, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by columbine
Not sure how effective a Will works for a marriage between a Muslim and a Non-Muslim.
No inheritance between a Muslim husband and his non-Muslim wife - Islam web - English
Only an issue if someone decides to contest - or just have everything in joint names.

My FIL is obviously muslim, and due to interfamily dynamics any will was going to get challenged, probably on basis that males are meant to inherit 2/3 and females 1/3 under islamic law. What he did was give everything valuable away as a gift while still alive. Sure, it meant angry sons (but they were anyway...) but there was no legal leg for them to stand on when he did die
Old Apr 4th 2018, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Thank you sayang.
Old Apr 8th 2018, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The easy road is to convert to islam. lots of people have done it and become nominal Muslims. "Turning Turk" is not difficult. I met many who had done this in the Middle East. I assume that in Malaysia or Indonesia it is easier.
Old Apr 9th 2018, 1:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

RedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond reputeRedApe has a reputation beyond repute

Then you have two individuals who don't really want to be Muslim, both because of marriage laws. And if the change the laws so that the wife can return to her prior faith, then you'd complicate things because her CURRENT husband was Muslim ;-)

I'd wait off until next year at least before conversion...maybe she'll be able to return to Christianity. Then you'll have to worry about whether she's a Catholic and you are a Protestant
Old Apr 9th 2018, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2019, 11:50 am
Just Joined

aar2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ChrisC1955, have you followed through with your plan? I am a M'sian (born muslim) woman married to a european abroad since 2015 and we are always a bit tense about the situation in malaysia since we did a civil marriage abroad. Just curious what you figured out and if it could apply to us. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.