Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Vaccinations? Penang or Langkawi?

Vaccinations? Penang or Langkawi?

Old Oct 18th 2012, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future
Default Vaccinations? Penang or Langkawi?

Hi

Considering whether to go to Malaysia on hols. Was planning on few days in KL and then a bit of a beach holiday. Any suggestions?

I have 3 kids aged 6, 4 and 1. I'm reading conflicting info on vaccinations and what is needed. Be greatly appreciated if anyone could advise what is required.

Many thanks
Old Oct 19th 2012, 3:47 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vaccinations? Penang or Langkawi?

Hi,

If I were just coming for a short trip I wouldn't worry about vaccinations for the kids but if you really want to go there, Hep A for 2 years plus.

Where to go for your beach holiday depends on what time of year you'll be coming. The East and West coasts of peninsula Malaysia have rainy seasons at different times of the year, so bear this in mind.

If it were strictly a beach holiday you had in mind; out of Penang and Langkawi, I would choose Langkawi but Penang will give you other cultural options that Langkawi is lacking in. Also take a look at Pangkor Island for the West Coast of Malaysia.

The East coast of the Peninsula offers arguably better beaches but fewer luxe options; look at Tioman, Perhentian and Redang. A newcomer is Batu Batu.

And finally, don't forget Eastern Malaysia (Borneo). Kota Kinabalu is a lovely beach destination and I highly recommend the Shangri La resorts over there.

Good luck with your planning.

ajw
Old Oct 20th 2012, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

kronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant futurekronk has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ajw
Hi,

If I were just coming for a short trip I wouldn't worry about vaccinations for the kids but if you really want to go there, Hep A for 2 years plus.

Where to go for your beach holiday depends on what time of year you'll be coming. The East and West coasts of peninsula Malaysia have rainy seasons at different times of the year, so bear this in mind.

If it were strictly a beach holiday you had in mind; out of Penang and Langkawi, I would choose Langkawi but Penang will give you other cultural options that Langkawi is lacking in. Also take a look at Pangkor Island for the West Coast of Malaysia.

The East coast of the Peninsula offers arguably better beaches but fewer luxe options; look at Tioman, Perhentian and Redang. A newcomer is Batu Batu.

And finally, don't forget Eastern Malaysia (Borneo). Kota Kinabalu is a lovely beach destination and I highly recommend the Shangri La resorts over there.

Good luck with your planning.

ajw
Thats great, thanks so much for this information.

Wasn't aware Hep A could be given for kids aged 2+. Have to postpone this holiday for a while then as my youngest is 1.

Many thanks
Old Oct 20th 2012, 3:28 am
ajw

ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here from Melbourne when my youngest was 5 months so the vaccination wasnt an option for us, we had to wait another 18 months to get it - no issues at all. Everyone else here living here with under two's in the same boat, but obviously its your call as a parent to weigh up the risks etc.

Cheers
Ajw
Old Oct 23rd 2012, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

PenangIsGreat is an unknown quantity at this point

Get some mosquito patches or sprays when you get to malaysia. The only thing I hate in penang is the annoying mosquito's. I guess they'll disappear when the island gets more developed like singapore but at the moment, they're a pain in my back side!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:23 am
ajw

Unfortunately we have tons of mosquito's also in KL, even in the highly developed areas. In fact it seems to be the continuing development (building sites etc) which seems to provide the ideal breeding environment!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:55 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

I went down to Singapore for a few days a couple of weeks ago and got bitten to pieces by mozzies. So there's plenty there for sure. There used to be a fair bit of dengue fever going around in Singapore too. They tend to keep a bit quiet about that.