Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance for MM2H'ers

Travel insurance for MM2H'ers

Old Dec 21st 2018, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance for MM2H'ers

When travelling out of Malaysia I have always purchased travel insurance onllne through a local insurance company or a local branch of an international insurance company.
As we on our next trip plan to make a more non-standard trip, I approached one of the companies and explained the situation.
In return I was asked for a copy of our visas so I sent them our MM2H visas.

The response I got was rather surprising to say the least:
''Unfortunately AXA travel policy doesn’t cover for Social Visa. Thus we do not have anycoverage to propose for now.''

Which basically would mean that all earlier insurances we purchased online for earlier travels were invalid!
Has anybody here experienced something similar or provide some advice?
Old Dec 21st 2018, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Travel insurance for MM2H'ers

I have bupa travel insurance, it's international and doesn't require any special local visa. Around 300usd yearly for travels up to 3o days.
Maybe better to buy insurance from non Malaysian company.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Stepen,
I asked AXA which is an international company.
It seems the problem is that for a travel insurance they need to establish a legal home base and in their books there is nothing about 'Social Visit Pass' being a legal residence permit in Malaysia. I have now written to them and elaborated and after that we will see.
You mention BUPA is for max 30 days travel duration. That is another problem, we intend to be away for much longer than that.
And at my age, the rates will definitely be much higher.
Old Dec 21st 2018, 11:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gunnar45
When travelling out of Malaysia I have always purchased travel insurance onllne through a local insurance company or a local branch of an international insurance company.
As we on our next trip plan to make a more non-standard trip, I approached one of the companies and explained the situation.
In return I was asked for a copy of our visas so I sent them our MM2H visas.

The response I got was rather surprising to say the least:
''Unfortunately AXA travel policy doesn’t cover for Social Visa. Thus we do not have anycoverage to propose for now.''

Which basically would mean that all earlier insurances we purchased online for earlier travels were invalid!
Has anybody here experienced something similar or provide some advice?
Typical Insurance company.

Take your money but you would only have found out the invalidity if you had made a claim.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 12:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ex reg,
Yes, it is certainly a problem but in AXA conditions it says that one must be resident in the country from where the travel originates. And it seems that they for some reason do not accept MM2H visa as proof of residence.
I have now sent them a copy of my extension approval letter, basically proving that I have been legally living here since 2010 and that I am allowed to continue to do so until 2028! Plus that I copied them on the post here on the forum. I have also raised the matter with my MM2H agent.
If AXA approach indeed is true and maybe common policy amongst the insurers here, it will have quite serious implications, I believe that quite a few MM2H'ers who live here may have purchased their travel insurances from local agencies and it must therefore be cleared without doubt that they are valid!
One can see here that one of the problems with online applications is that one approves (ticks) some conditions (like 'Country of residence is Malaysia') which are subject to conflicting interpretations!
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 1:46 am
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

ex reg,
Yes, it is certainly a problem but in AXA conditions it says that one must be resident in the country from where the travel originates. And it seems that they for some reason do not accept MM2H visa as proof of residence.
I have now sent them a copy of my extension approval letter, basically proving that I have been legally living here since 2010 and that I am allowed to continue to do so until 2028! Plus that I copied them on the post here on the forum. I have also raised the matter with my MM2H agent.
If AXA approach indeed is true and maybe common policy amongst the insurers here, it will have quite serious implications, I believe that quite a few MM2H'ers who live here may have purchased their travel insurances from local agencies and it must therefore be cleared without doubt that they are valid!
One can see here that one of the problems with online applications is that one approves (ticks) some conditions (like 'Country of residence is Malaysia') which are subject to conflicting interpretations!

I've never bought Travel Ins here online. My husband and I have always used AIA for their yearly roll over Intl Travel Ins that covers Worldwide. But when spouse reached 70 AIA discontinued our coverage as their Max Age coverage is up to 70. Our agent got us AIG Yearly International Travel Ins as it covers up to age 80. Only disadvantage is AIG has to be renewed yearly as they don't have the roll over auto deduction like AIA. We travel whenever there are ticket sales or hotel promos to places we fancy going and there are times we are away for over 3 months. AIA covered us up to 90 days per trip (unlimited trips per insured year) and AIG covers up to 100 days per trip per insured year (also unlimited trips). We were away this year while both our travel insurance were due, our agent checked with main KL office and we could pay in advance so we got continuous coverage without haveing to worry about renewal while being away.
Both Ins Companies didn't approve right away as the Applications have to be sent to their Main Office in KL for Review and only after that we received a Letter that we have been Approved. They needed copies of our passports and the MM2H visa pages. Please PM me if you need my agent's contact No.
I just wonder what happened to MM2Hers who are 81 years old and are still travelling around? This is some thing we have to consider when the time comes.

Last edited by columbine; Dec 22nd 2018 at 2:01 am. Reason: missing information
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Hello columbine,
I looked AIG up on the web and found that they allow for up to 85 years for single trips.
And such a trip can when applied for online, have an allowed duration of at least 120 days.
But as with AXA, they as per their conditions require 'permanent residence in Malaysia or with unlimited right of entry regardless of any medical condition'
So, I hope they consider MM2H'rs to fall in those categories.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

stepen is on a distinguished road

Hi Stepen,
I asked AXA which is an international company.
Did you ask the Malaysia office of AXA ?
My insurance is with bupa in Denmark, not in Malaysia.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by columbine
I've never bought Travel Ins here online. My husband and I have always used AIA for their yearly roll over Intl Travel Ins that covers Worldwide. But when spouse reached 70 AIA discontinued our coverage as their Max Age coverage is up to 70. Our agent got us AIG Yearly International Travel Ins as it covers up to age 80. Only disadvantage is AIG has to be renewed yearly as they don't have the roll over auto deduction like AIA. We travel whenever there are ticket sales or hotel promos to places we fancy going and there are times we are away for over 3 months. AIA covered us up to 90 days per trip (unlimited trips per insured year) and AIG covers up to 100 days per trip per insured year (also unlimited trips). We were away this year while both our travel insurance were due, our agent checked with main KL office and we could pay in advance so we got continuous coverage without haveing to worry about renewal while being away.
Both Ins Companies didn't approve right away as the Applications have to be sent to their Main Office in KL for Review and only after that we received a Letter that we have been Approved. They needed copies of our passports and the MM2H visa pages. Please PM me if you need my agent's contact No.
I just wonder what happened to MM2Hers who are 81 years old and are still travelling around? This is some thing we have to consider when the time comes.
Are you certain about these age requirements? I am checking the document AIG posts online about policy requirements. About age requirements it has two different requirements:
(*) for "per trip insurance" policies: age up to 85
(*) for "annual" policies: age up to 65
Source: https://www.aig.my/content/dam/aig/a...urance-pds.pdf (item #5d)
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond reputeSushiFan has a reputation beyond repute

Hello columbine,
I looked AIG up on the web and found that they allow for up to 85 years for single trips.
And such a trip can when applied for online, have an allowed duration of at least 120 days.
But as with AXA, they as per their conditions require 'permanent residence in Malaysia or with unlimited right of entry regardless of any medical condition'
Gunnar, where did you find that "permanent residence in Malaysia or with unlimited right of entry regardless of any medical condition" requirement at AIG's insurance? I can't find it. I have their travel insurance and would be interested to learn more about this topic (I have MM2H visa).
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan,
Page 20 in this document:
https://www.aig.my/content/dam/aig/a...icywording.pdf

''25) Residence Limitation: You must be either a Malaysian citizen or Malaysian permanent resident or a resident with full rights to enter into and return to Malaysia regardless of medical status. Your travel arrangements must be made and paid for in Malaysia and your trip must commence in Malaysia''

But as per columbine it sems to be OK with the MM2H visa.
However, I would still want a confirmation from the insurance company on this!
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

columbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond reputecolumbine has a reputation beyond repute

Hello columbine,
Yes, I've noticed also with single trip the coverage time is longer, but didn't realise it's up to 85. That's great.
have just PMed you.
Old Dec 22nd 2018, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SushiFan
Are you certain about these age requirements? I am checking the document AIG posts online about policy requirements. About age requirements it has two different requirements:
(*) for "per trip insurance" policies: age up to 85
(*) for "annual" policies: age up to 65
Source: https://www.aig.my/content/dam/aig/a...urance-pds.pdf (item #5d)
Hi Sushifan,
Our yearly travel insurance is up to Age 80 and each travel commences from M'sia and coverage up to 100 days.
Yes, I've noticed before their online coverages are different and also the amounts for specific items are also slightly different when I compared my policy with the one on line.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

SushiFan,
Page 20 in this document:
https://www.aig.my/content/dam/aig/a...icywording.pdf

''25) Residence Limitation: You must be either a Malaysian citizen or Malaysian permanent resident or a resident with full rights to enter into and return to Malaysia regardless of medical status. Your travel arrangements must be made and paid for in Malaysia and your trip must commence in Malaysia''

But as per columbine it sems to be OK with the MM2H visa.
However, I would still want a confirmation from the insurance company on this!
Thank you, I found it.
Old Dec 23rd 2018, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

IanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really niceIanBlakeley is just really nice

I wish the bank here did what the UK banks did have insurance in with the account. Shame I still have my UK account but wouldn't meet the residence requirement for the validity for insurance. We've not bothered with annual policy here but did take AIA single trip cover online for Australia & China, TBF I didn't dig into validity of my visa (LTSVP) for their T&C my concern was the low limit for claims, probably okay in Asia but wouldn't last long in say the US. I plan on a trip to Japan next year so may have to did a bit deeper.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.