Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Transferring Money from Malaysia to UK

Transferring Money from Malaysia to UK

Old Oct 22nd 2013, 5:37 am
Just Joined

NewAdventure84 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Transferring Money from Malaysia to UK

This is what I was worried about that RM is difficult to sell. I used one of these services when in Canada to send back home and vise versa looks like that's not an option.

I'm with CIMB so will be sending telegraphic transfer with them but my bank in UK (Co-Op) was unable to tell me if I'll also get charged to receive the money so will send my first lot this month and see what happens.
Old Oct 22nd 2013, 1:10 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is a bit dumb but, if you want to be receiving the funds in Sterling in UK, why don't you open a Sterling account at your Malaysian bank, transfer ringgits into Sterling as you go along, then transfer that back to UK? Ie do the foreign exchange in Malaysia.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 5:22 am
Just Joined

NewAdventure84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks bakedbean I had not thought about that I'm quite new to all this and did not know that was a possibility. I will make inquiries at my bank about this.
Old Oct 23rd 2013, 12:47 pm

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

CIMB do foreign currency accounts. We are also with CIMB and we hold some foreign currencies there. Go,have a chat with them.
Old Oct 24th 2013, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

rusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of lightrusty747 is a glorious beacon of light

We have HSBC premier account in Malaysia and it is possible to have US$ or £ accounts. If you also have a UK HSBC account then it is easy and reasonably good value to use internet banking.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 3:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by regularjohn00
Hello all, I'm moving to KL in a week and looking to do the same regularly, I've seen a few online companies that advertise sending money overseas, essentially you pay them the money, they convert it into the currency you want (i.e in my case I pay them ringgit, they convert to GBP) they then pay it into uk bank account so it looks like an english transaction and hence avoids bank fees.

Anyone used any similar sites with any success (I can name a few sites I looked at but as I don't know how reputable they are I didn't want to be associated with them if their no good so haven't done so yet)
I've used xe.com, which was bought out by Western Union three years ago. Others that are commonly recommended in the US forum include xoom.com and currencyfair.com. There are others if you'd care to go over to the US "top level" forum and look for threads on currency transfers - there are usually 2-3/mth.

The FX rates are invariably better than the rates offered by the banks (typically IME, by 2-3%), and both the send (debit) and the receive (credit) can be configured so as not to trigger the fees that a wire typically causes at both the sending and receiving banks.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2013 at 3:40 am.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Bluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond reputeBluenose1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I've used xe.com, which was bought out by Western Union three years ago. Others that are commonly recommended in the US forum include xoom.com and currencyfair.com. There are others if you'd care to go over to the US "top level" forum and look for threads on currency transfers - there are usually 2-3/mth.

The FX rates are invariably better than the rates offered by the banks (typically IME, by 2-3%), and both the send (debit) and the receive (credit) can be configured so as not to trigger the fees that a wire typically causes at both the sending and receiving banks.
XE is no use if you have emigrated (outside of a very limited number [9 in the list] of countries). I've just tried to register, and Malaysia is NOT one of the countries acceptable as a residency! I cannot get around that requirement either because it also says you will need to have 2 forms of identification (presumably at least 1 of those would be proof of address! Although I still own a house in the UK, I have no method of proving (i.e. utility bills addressed to me etc) that now.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 4:24 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluenose1
XE is no use if you have emigrated (outside of a very limited number [9 in the list] of countries). I've just tried to register, and Malaysia is NOT one of the countries acceptable as a residency! I cannot get around that requirement either because it also says you will need to have 2 forms of identification (presumably at least 1 of those would be proof of address! Although I still own a house in the UK, I have no method of proving (i.e. utility bills addressed to me etc) that now.
Don't you still have your British driving license?
Old Nov 16th 2013, 8:55 am
Just Joined

bhyc is an unknown quantity at this point

With Maybank, the transfer fee is only RM10, no matter how much you send (upto the allowable limit of RM10000). I did this for years to service a UK Loan - sent it once a month (or if funds permitted 2-3 months' worth) to my UK account and then was DD'd out of there.