Toll charges on roads

Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:10 am
Forum Regular

movin2malaysia is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toll charges on roads

Are there many Toll roads in KL. What is the easiest way of paying ?
I dont want to be the cause of a traffic jam in a new country on my first day of driving :-)
Old Oct 25th 2012, 10:21 am
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toll charges on roads

Hiya,

I am impressed with the level of detail you are going into on your research here before the move! ;-)

Yes there are plenty of toll roads, mostly highways or special link roads.

You can pay by cash (tunai), touch n go or a smart tag. Google the last two for details.

ajw
Old Oct 26th 2012, 12:45 am
Forum Regular

whybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nicewhybirda is just really nice

I would suggest getting a smart tag as they're much easier and a lot less hassle than having to pay at the tolls.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 6:25 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

We use Touch n Go card. We bought the card at a Petronas station and you can top up there too.

Dead easy to use. On the expressway (or wherever) just head for the Touch n Go lanes, tap your card at the appropriate spot, and the toll fee is taken off the card. You'll get your Balance left flashed up on the screen at the booth.
Old Oct 26th 2012, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks bakedbean. Doesnt sound too bad.
Old Oct 27th 2012, 4:23 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Was getting some cash out of a CIMB ATM this morning and noticed a little sign saying you can top up your Touch n Go card there - obviously would need a CIMB account to be able to do this.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 6:12 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

I highly recommend the Smart Tag which uses the same Touch n Go card. The Smart Tag costs about RM100/- upfront but can save you long queues.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Anyone knows if there are toll charges going from KLCC to ISKL. We will be making that trip within 2/3 days of landing in KL.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 9:35 pm
Just Joined

AusMex is an unknown quantity at this point

Where do you get a Smart Tag
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

ThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud ofThomasK has much to be proud of

You can get information at this site on where to buy the Smart Tag and "Touch n Go" card. Note that some outlets may sell the card but not the Smart Tag. Better to call +603-2714 8888 to confirm before going to the outlet.
http://www.touchngo.com.my/?pg=syswhere2reloadt

Some advantages of using toll roads in Malaysia from my perspective, no liability accepted for any inaccuracy :-) ...
1. Overall savings in petrol either due to distance or due to traffic jams, although sometimes the distance is longer;
2. Savings in car maintenance as roads are better maintained - less "wear and tear" of brakes, absorbers, etc.
3. Less risk of accidents involving motorcycles - I mention this as I recently heard of 2 incidents involving motorcycles on non-toll roads.

I believe that there are toll routes and non-toll routes for KLCC-ISKL. From Google maps, the toll route is 8.4 km taking 17 mins in current traffic (as at 11:13 am M'sian time). The non-toll route is 6.6 km taking 21 mins currently. http://maps.google.com.my/maps?ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tab=wl

Thomas K

Thomas K
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 2:42 am

Hey AusMex, warm to the forum.

I know I'm hopelessly off topic but see you are moving from Mexico to Melaka... geez... that's a big move. Are you joining the MM2H programme? Coincidentally I was talking with a couple of friends on skype yesterday afternoon who have just moved to Melaka a few months ago, and they are loving it there.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

abdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond reputeabdulawwal has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Ausmex

I was told by friends that you can buy SmartTAG devices at the toll plaza themselves. Each Toll has a customer service office where you can pop in and purchase one.

Regards
Abdul
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 1:52 pm
Just Joined

AusMex is an unknown quantity at this point

Abdul, thanks for that info, just one of the many little things I needed to know to make my move enjoyable.
Old Jan 22nd 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Unless you plan to be using the toll roads daily I don't really think the Smart Tag is worth the money. It merely affixes to your windscreen and accepts the Tough n Go card, communicating the info to the barriers through the 'proximity tag'. You will still need to slow down and go through behind any cars in the Smart Tag lane. There will likely be none.

However, there will likely be none in the Touch n Go queues either, only difference being that you need to drop your driver window to touch the card to the IFD reader.
Old Jan 23rd 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

In Penang, there is no need for the Smart Tag or TnG card as there are no tolls. But if you travel on the highways and even the Penang bridge often, there's a big difference between using the Smart Tag and the TnG card.

In KL and most of Selangor, the Smart Tag can save you hours every month.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.