Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on travel plans?

Thoughts on travel plans?

Old Mar 11th 2011, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Thoughts on travel plans?

I plan to get out to Malaysia on an exploratory trip around end of April, early May. Given that I THINK (hard to say without ever visiting) that I may be leaning towards Penang as a place to live I am wondering whether to book my flights to/from Penang or whether those who have done this before found it better to book to KL and then look at where to go 'internally' after arrival given that Penang will require a stop-over in KL anyway AFAIK? Any thoughts.

Also any times to avoid for any reason. I have a window between 12 April and around 16 May and plan to come for about 2-3 weeks, likely 3.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Thoughts on travel plans?

April/May starting to warm up a bit. I would be temped to go to KL first, then catch a train, bus or plane to Penang (Air Asia have special on) You might want to visit Melaka first, which is not so far from KL. Also Selangor which like Penang has a low entry point for property purchase, may bare a look.

If you hire a car, then the drive north could take in Ipoh and Taiping. Chinese and more old world but both lovely places.

Enjoy the trip
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

ex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond reputeex reg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Strider24

If you hire a car, then the drive north could take in Ipoh and Taiping. Chinese and more old world but both lovely places.

Enjoy the trip
I would suggest hiring a car is a must.

If not for your whole time then for quite a number of days.

It is really the only way to have a good look around imo.

If you do hire then you will have to get used to drivers in Malaysia who on the whole I think are quite good.

Much better than the drivers in Singapore.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Strider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud ofStrider24 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ex reg
I would suggest hiring a car is a must.

If not for your whole time then for quite a number of days.

It is really the only way to have a good look around imo.

If you do hire then you will have to get used to drivers in Malaysia who on the whole I think are quite good.

Much better than the drivers in Singapore.
...except for motor bikes. They are seriously crazy. The Government reckons there could be up to 2 mil unlicensed bike riders in the country

But agree a car is way the best option
Old Mar 12th 2011, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Thanks. Will do KL for the flight I think.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:00 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Enjoy the trip. I think it may be monsooning a bit as south-west monsoon starts up around mid to late April (at least it did in both Singapore and Phuket, so presumably the same in between on the west coast.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks. Closer to the time I'll drop a couple of PMs out. Would be nice to meet up for a chat etc if anyone has time etc.