Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Far East and Asia > Malaysia
Reload this Page >

Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

Old Oct 19th 2015, 7:46 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Those lazy, hazy days of Summer

They should should rename the country Malhazea.
Old Oct 19th 2015, 8:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

Perfect!
Old Oct 19th 2015, 9:50 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haggis68
Hi All,

the Haze has been a issue for us here in Ipoh since we arrived, I think its been clear for about 5 days in total, we were even in Pankgor the over the half term and it ruined all veiws there as well. really ruins your time hear and would be the number one reason to not commit to Malaysia long term, maybe they even want rid of us, its one way to do it i guess.

Even up in the Cameron Highlands horizons are lost to it...

and to think the Malaysian companies doing the burning are profiteering from it...mmm some questionable politics must come into play here with bankhanders all over the place.

I actually dont believe it will ever fade .....

Yes it's been particularly bad this year. I'm into my 6th year in Penang and this has been the worst haze by a mile and, for me, no option to escape this year. Will other future years be the same? I really don't know.

In previous years, it's been a week or two here and there. You put up with that. But I certainly wouldn't put up with two whole months of the year again.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:29 am
Forum Regular

Stuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
In previous years, it's been a week or two here and there. You put up with that.
I beg to differ, I have lived in Malaysia from 2009 to 2015 and all these years we had haze problems for several months, not weeks. (mostly in the period June to September). Over the years we have stayed in Malaysia it seemed to get worse every year. For us the continuing and increasing haze problem was one of the reasons to pack up and leave.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 8:59 am

bakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond reputebakedbean has a reputation beyond repute

Well I've been here almost the same time 2010 to right now and this is the first year I've noticed it to be pretty much non-stop haze. And I have hardly travelled the last 3 years. Is it just El Nino effect? I guess we will know next year.

But what about the Northern Thailand haze? That's January to April, right? You don't mind that? That's been going on for years. And I gather in Laos and Cambodia too.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Stuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond reputeStuurman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bakedbean
But what about the Northern Thailand haze? That's January to April, right? You don't mind that?
We were in Northern Thailand end February till mid March and had some hazy days then. We were told by the locals it was pretty bad but to us it seemed less severe than what we experienced in Penang. From what I read about it and heard from friends who have been staying here for many years it's normally a few weeks per year, most of the time in the month before Songkran. The source of the haze is also different than in the South, local farmers are burning rice fields and undergrowth in the forest, a decent shower puts the fire out and clears the sky immediately.

We still have to find out how it will affect us but since we moved here in April we had clear skies and clean air.

Last edited by Stuurman; Oct 20th 2015 at 9:18 am.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't see the problem.

I lived in a rural part of southern mainland China for 12 years before Penang and everyday looked like a very bad hazy day. You might get 2 or 3 weeks of clear in late September or October, but for the rest of the year is haze. Air Pollution indexes never go below 140 where I used to live and could be as high as 300 for weeks on end.

I can put up with haze here as I've been coming on and off to Penang for the last 10 years and know that its been great from December to June most years. That's 7 months of no haze, not 3 weeks I've been used too.

I also put the haze down to humidity in China. Days of low humidity, less than 70% would have clear sky's even if the API was very high around 300. Days with a low API around 140 but with 95% humidity would have visibility down to less than 100 meters. You are after all trying to look though a cloud at that stage. So I don't blame pollution that much, humidity has lot more to do with it.
Old Oct 20th 2015, 3:10 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owned
I also put the haze down to humidity in China. Days of low humidity, less than 70% would have clear sky's even if the API was very high around 300. Days with a low API around 140 but with 95% humidity would have visibility down to less than 100 meters. You are after all trying to look though a cloud at that stage. So I don't blame pollution that much, humidity has lot more to do with it.
Yes, I made exactly this point in another thread. If the air was cooler and drier the smoke would go straight up instead of hanging around at nostril-level. I would rather they concentrated on fixing the humidity problem which is bad ALL year.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Gunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond reputeGunnar45 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess that if they cut down all the forests, they will get rid of the humidity, so we are well on the way! Just have to bear with a few more years of haze.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 4:48 am
Forum Regular

owned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond reputeowned has a reputation beyond repute

Its bad today as high winds from south west. If it was northerly winds it would be clear.

Don't get me wrong on the humidity, I was blaming bad visibility in China for that. Yep its the forest fire's that the cause of our problems here, it even smells like your in a forest fire today. My point is that I'm not personally offended by it because I've come from worse, but can totally accept the grievances of those that are. And while it doesn't effect me personally, I am very concerned for the rest of the world, as there are more carbon emissions emitted in 2 months by the forest fires than the whole of the UK's output in 1 year.

But nothing will be done as Indonesia is not a place of strategic importance, financial importance and doesn't really have anything anyone wants. World governments could spend money addressing the problem, but they will want something in return, and I can't work out what can be given back for there efforts.
Old Oct 21st 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I would rather they concentrated on fixing the humidity problem which is bad ALL year.
and while they were at it, could fix the temperature a bit too. Maybe a nice 25 degrees C
Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Cheaper beer and wine anyone?
Old Oct 21st 2015, 1:57 pm

Old Oct 21st 2015, 11:38 pm

Here's yesterday's Haze map:
Home – Regional Haze Situation |

Lucky ol' Singapore somehow missed it yesterday. It's interesting that the winds are NOT predominantly south-west. We are clearly into "inter-monsoon" winds, so let's hope the north-east winds come early. Probably unlikely but we can hope.
Old Oct 22nd 2015, 2:21 pm

Some flights being cancelled now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.